Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Nantucket Island

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by steveroche » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Well we landed here this morning and quickly set off to hang out on the beach.
So far we slept and fished at Madaket beach for a while, then headed over to Dionis Beach for a quick ride in the TB, I decided to not air down to see how the truck would perform in the dunes and it did quite well. I bogged down a tiny bit at one spot but that was because it was a sharp turn and i lost some momentum. Took a few pics before the trail and on the beach so far.
IMG00505-20110901-1702.jpg

IMG00510-20110901-1717.jpg

IMG00509-20110901-1714.jpg

Tomorrow we head out for Siasconset Beach in the truck for some more fun...unfortunately I found i have a stick stuck into my tire past the thick tread blocks...I can't tell how far in it goes but it is definitely stuck in there good. I'm pretty sure it happened before the trip, since we just had the hurricane and lots of trees and branches were on the ground, so i may have ran over something that got stuck up in there. At this point I am just closely monitoring the psi of the tire to see if it's leaking at all. Hoping its not through the rubber all the way...
Last edited by steveroche on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
steveroche
Addict

Name: Steve Roche
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by steveroche » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am

So it took a while to get the pictures since i didn't have the camera to computer cable while we were away...but here they are. I ended up only getting stuck once while not aired down in soft sand. I just aired down to 15, dug out the tires and coasted right out nice and easy. I was very pleased with the performance of the truck and the tires. The stick in my tire ended up working itself out and after monitoring the tire's PSI for the past week, I think its fine...no drop in pressure at all.
On to the Pics!
Attachments
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG
steveroche
Addict

by steveroche » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:49 am

Some more...
Attachments
6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
steveroche
Addict

by steveroche » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 am

More...
Attachments
9.JPG
8.JPG
7.JPG
steveroche
Addict

by steveroche » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:57 am

My sister and brother in law brought along their subaru which did quite well in the sand, He aired down to 15 psi every time we went on the beach and he never bogged down once. I was quite surprised with its performance. While there, the only people i saw get stuck were me... :wallbash: ...and a guy in an FJ who didn't seem to know how to drive properly on the sand. He got stuck at the beginning of the trail back to the main road and it seemed like he just drove onto the side wall of the dunes where it was softest, on purpose...oh and he also didn't air down, and had street tires...I offered up my winch but he aired down and dug out in about 10 minutes. When you get stuck out on the beach or in the dunes it costs a minimum of $400 just to get towed out...I'm glad i made the purchase of heavy duty ribbed floor mats before I went on the trip, they act as great traction mats! All in all it was a good trip, it was my first time wheeling on the sand but I think I still prefer the deep woods trails.
steveroche
Addict

Return to Eastern U.S.