Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Clunking in Front End SOLVED!

Something not working right?

by Beamer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:10 pm

I was noticing a clunking in the front end when driving over bumps on a dirt road or when driving across a field, sounded like something loose in the suspension, but could never find it. There was never any noise when driving on pavement.
Yesterday I accidentally bumped the plastic wheel wells and it made a clunking sound when it hit the metal fender....
After some poking around, I noticed that there are holes, but not connectors from the wheel well to the fender, so I put one 1/4" bolt with a lock washer and fender washer and bolted it tight.

You can see the larger fender washer on the topside of the plastic well.

I also noticed that the cheap connectors from the factory do not hold very tight, so I ripped one out and replaced it with a 5/16" bolt that I cut the length to 5/8" with 2 washers and one lock washer....No more rattling!!!

Here is the push in connector, it is actually 2 pieces and came apart fairly easy.

I used a pair of diagonal cutters to pry them out (not cut them), first the pin and then the connector from the frame.

I only did this on the front most connector just above the main frame rails on both driver and passenger sides. You can see the bolt head in both pics over the tire towards the front.

Beamer

Name: Chris Beam
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Troubleshooting