Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

245/70/16 "upgrade"?

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Doratus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:56 am

I've been needing to replace my tires for a while now, and today I finally got some new rubber mounted.

I chose to get General Grabber AT2. I chose them because I needed an all terrain tire that wasn't too expensive, yet still of reasonable quality. I went with 245/70/16 because I never calibrated my odometer (and all of that stuff) for the larger size, so I figured I would give my TB a breather and go back to the stock size.

Also, gas mileage, ya know...

......But now that I look my Trailblazer...........

.....It doesn't look right :puker: :oops:

.....It seems kind of lacking, doesn't it?

However! The ride home was extremely nice. I've been on 32" mudder for as long as I can remember and I don't miss that crazy noise one bit. At first I really liked the hum of the mud tire, but its kinda nice to have some peace and quiet now. Noises aside, the handling was like something out of a dream. I'm sure I'm exaggerating but my tolerance is built up!

So I don't really know what to think at this point. They seem kinda small, they seem kinda... "on-road". They also ride really nice on the road, and they will last me a long time. Wiser men then I have said that long lasting tires can be a curse as well as a blessing. Time will tell I guess. Down the line I want to get a set of 15in wheels with matching tires.

:scratch:
West Chapter (Trailvoy.com)

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by cowboy63645 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:23 am

They look good!! I am not a fan of the lift and little tire look, but if i suit's your need's then it can be over looked. I have heard some good thing's about those tires, and they should last you a long time!
cowboy63645

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by CHIEF BIG RIDGE » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:01 am

It looks wierd to me. The lift, little tire look is defenintly wierd looking.:?
Andrew
CHIEF BIG RIDGE
Off-Roader

Name: Andrew
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ToyBlaze » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:59 am

Well, now I know what mine will look like for a little while once I get it back. Same size tires, (Liberators), that still have a lot of life left in them, but once I get the TB back it's getting lifted. :excited:
They gasped the first time I got it dirty... Then fainted when I came home with scratches... Pff, City slickers...
ToyBlaze

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Doratus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:57 pm

CHIEF BIG RIDGE wrote:It looks wierd to me. The lift, little tire look is defenintly wierd looking.:?

I figured I wouldn't really notice an inch or two. :wallbash:

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

by lil_freak_66 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:35 pm

sell em to me and go back to some 32's??
Michigan Search & Rescue.
SARTECH III
lil_freak_66
Trail-Blazer

Name: Tyler

by Doratus » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:28 pm

lil_freak_66 wrote:sell em to me and go back to some 32's??

Well I would... but I can't afford to eat the shipping cost. You'd have to pay for shipping twice if you bought them from me. :(

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

by MrSmithsTB » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:14 pm

The name of the game is to work with what you've got. New, I am assuming? Better to have smaller & new than larger & used & crap. Give yourself a little time and you will get used to them. And clean those fender wells and frame rails, spray em with a little tire shine(the wells and rails), and they won't be as noticeable until you get used to them.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by EwingJK » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:19 am

I wanted larger diamater tires without having to do a suspension lift and spacers. I went with Dunlop Grand Treks 245/75/16. The diameter is an inch more than stock 245/70/16. They offer a great ride, no increase in road noise, and excellent hanlding in the sand dunes. The clear the upper ball joint by about a half-inch. The Grand Treks meet my requirements very well.

One thing about your tires that draws attention to them is the white lettering. I don't think the tires would be as catching to the eye if it wasn't for the contrasting colors.
EwingJK
Cruiser

Name: John Ewing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Doratus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:42 pm

EwingJK wrote:I wanted larger diamater tires without having to do a suspension lift and spacers. I went with Dunlop Grand Treks 245/75/16. The diameter is an inch more than stock 245/70/16. They offer a great ride, no increase in road noise, and excellent hanlding in the sand dunes. The clear the upper ball joint by about a half-inch. The Grand Treks meet my requirements very well.

One thing about your tires that draws attention to them is the white lettering. I don't think the tires would be as catching to the eye if it wasn't for the contrasting colors.

I know! :cry:

I completely flaked on telling them I wanted the black wall out. I'll have to change it, but I've got priorities. I agree with you though.

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

Return to Wheels / Tires