Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Not another FNG!

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by flyboy2610 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:17 am

Yep. Another one! My name is John. I've had my 2004 TB EXT for two years. Last June I rebuilt the front suspension, replaced everything but the CV axles. They were still in good shape, no noise from them. I replaced the rear shocks as well. I put rebuilt calipers and new pads & rotors all the way around. Added a ReadyLift leveling kit and 1-1/5 BORA wheel spacers. I bought new 265/70R17 Firestone Destination A/T2's.
The only exterior mod is the addition of turn signal mirrors. I got them from the local automotive recycling facility. Literally a plug & play upgrade! Nothing done to the interior yet.
I love the way it looks and rides!
001.JPG

This spring/summer when the weather warms up (my "garage" is the back patio :( ) I plan to install a Harbor Freight Badlands Apex 12000 winch. I bought the winch mounting plate that HF sells and plan to use that as the basis for a new bumper. I'm also going to get a bumper for an EXT from aforementioned automotive recycling facility to use as the foundation. I'll keep the current one and the bumper cover. That way if I do sell the TB I can return it to stock.
Looking forward to learning and passing on what meager knowledge I possess!
"Never put passion before principle. Even if win, you lose." Mr. Miyagi
I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it!
flyboy2610
Cruiser

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bartonmd » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:38 am

Welcome! There isn't a ton of traffic here anymore. It's still a very good resource, where a lot of our information is posted, but most of the actual conversation with the people from this forum is on the "Offroad Trailblazers" group on Facebook.

You don't want to start with a factory bumper support, and try and make a winch mount with it. You've obviously seen my winch bumpers, and it's OK if you want to do your own thing, but you'll want to start with a better base than the thin gauge factory bumper support. They push OK, but don't pull well because of the thin gauge material and the short wall behind the material, so they'll rip out if you pull on it much. Short of buying my stuff, you'll really want to make your own bumper support out of 7ga or 3/16" and mount it to that.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by flyboy2610 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:36 pm

Hi, Mike!
Thanks for the welcome! I know it's a bit slow over here, but F-book and I, for reasons I'd rather not discuss in an open forum, have had a permanent and irrevocable parting of the ways!
I have seen your fab items, and they do look good! I actually plan to order a skid plate later this spring.
I apologize if I gave the wrong impression of my bumper plans. When I bought the winch at Harbor Freight, I also bought one of their winch mounting plates. That is a good solid piece of steel! I measured it at 15/64" thick, just a whisker shy of 1/4". I plan to cut it just wide enough, minus 1/2", to fit between the frame rails. The missing 1/2" will made up with 1/4 steel plates welded to each end. Those steel plates will be through bolted to the frame with at least two (probably 3) grade 8 bolts. The stock bumper will be cut down and a piece of 1-1/2" steel angle will be welded to the back of it. The winch plate will sit on that steel angle and be bolted to it as well, again with grade 8 bolts.
I plan to keep the bumper cover and cut it down in the front level with the stock bumper. I'm going for kind of an inset winch look. I have a welder and am pretty good with it. I'm confident I can make this work.
I think my next upgrade, though, is going to be some aftermarket springs and new Bilstein shocks and struts. I have all the parts bookmarked on the man-cave computer, but I'm on the upstairs one now.
Come on, weather, warm up and stay that way! I have work to do! :mechanic:
flyboy2610
Cruiser

by bartonmd » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:36 am

That should work(ish), but you're not goin to inset it much without some cutting on things that I prefer not to cut. If you want it down "inside" the frame rails, that's OK, but you need to cut out the airbag sensor crossmember, which I won't do. If you want it in-set on top of the frame, you need to cut out the body reinforcement tube that runs across right behind the grille. I won't do either one of those, personally, on something that I'm going to drive on the street. If it's a toy, OK.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by DirtyBacon04 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:31 pm

Welcome!
I know this place was mass spammed with garbage within the past few months. I just went through and deleted all I could find and block all who posted it.
I'm really gonna try and be more active on here. I owe so much to the long time members here. Keeping it alive is the least I could do.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by flyboy2610 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:16 pm

Thanks, DirtyBacon04! I have my bookmark for this site set to the new post page, and it does seem like spam is the majority of new posts. And as was said in that classic Monty Python skit: I don't LIKE Spam!
flyboy2610
Cruiser

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"