Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Old owner, new to OFTB

New members: please introduce yourself here.

by Trailblazerjig » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:47 am

Hello. I have owned my 2005 Trailblazer for about 5 years, but I am finally getting around to doing some of the modifications I have wanted to do. I am not a big off-road guy, but hopefully that will change. My bigger goal is to create something that is good in the snow, tow a camper and/or trailer and do some mild weekend off roading. I have been reading lots of posts and learning a lot. I look forward to meeting some new people and sharing my build experience.
Trailblazerjig

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trailblazerjig » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:25 am

So, not really sure where to post this. But I wanted to share and vent a little about a frustration I am having with trying to purchase a Bilstein 4600 front strut ( and yes I mean 1). I know these can be difficult to acquire, but I have ordered 4 from 3 different vendors. I have received 1. The others all have stated they were in stock, to only tell me later, sometimes weeks later, that they in fact did not have any. So I have 1 front strut and have ordered yet another hoping it will arrive.

Does anyone have a good lead on where I can buy 1 of these?

Thanks
Trailblazerjig

by Diacom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi Matt and welcome to the site.

Looks like you're well on your way getting parts put together for you mods.

As far as trying to find a replacement, have you tried: https://www.shockwarehouse.com/ ? It is where I purchased my shocks way back when. Might be worth a shot. If not there hit up the facebook page and see if you can get something more recent.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trailblazerjig » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:20 pm

Thanks. I'll check them out. I hope to post some pics in the build forum this weekend.
Trailblazerjig

by Trailblazerjig » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:49 pm

Finally got my build done. Rough Country 2" spacers with new Moog (81114) springs and Bilstein struts in the front and Moog (81069) springs (Z71 equivalent) and Bilstein shocks in the rear. Total lift of just over 3.5". Also put on a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4Ss. I'll post some pics in the build thread soon.

My mechanic says I need to replace the outer tie rods and all my ball joints. I'm thinking about doing this myself. I have priced out all the parts a couple of ways. I think I want to get the Moog parts, but I was curious. Has anyone used Detroit Axle parts and are they any good? They are 1/4 of the price of the Moog parts so I am very suspicious. Looking for any thoughts or reviews on these parts. Thanks.
Trailblazerjig

Return to "I'm new to offroadtb.com!"