Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Long-Travel Innovation

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by Philberto » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Here's an interesting article that may open up a new world of possibilities for us... modifications to the cv axles can allow us long-travel suspensions without altering the track width... This is interesting to me, because I'm not as interested in extreme rock crawling as I am in more lift/more flex for expedition driving while still maintaining the nice bits of an IFS system.

http://koreperformance.com/kore-corporate/news/print/kores-new-long-travel-suspension-kit-dodge-ram-1500-suspension.htm
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 am

Definitely a cool new thing. Too bad our platform will never be considered.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by That1Guy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:53 am

Philberto wrote:Here's an interesting article that may open up a new world of possibilities for us... modifications to the cv axles can allow us long-travel suspensions without altering the track width... This is interesting to me, because I'm not as interested in extreme rock crawling as I am in more lift/more flex for expedition driving while still maintaining the nice bits of an IFS system.

http://koreperformance.com/kore-corporate/news/print/kores-new-long-travel-suspension-kit-dodge-ram-1500-suspension.htm

So have you emailed them?? I know this is more geared towards 4wd but I think Long Travel would be one step in a very good direction for our platform. Sure it would be alot more expensive, but I think an LT trailvoy would be amazing, Just think, you could go crawling, then hit whooped out roads at more then a snails pace, and you could go a TON more places than you could before,.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by janesy86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:57 am

While I agree it would be an awesome option I wouldn't go about emailing unless you have the intentions/ money to actually go this route.

I know we all must know 'The boy who called wolf'. But good find!
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:50 am

Long travel being... a new upper ball joint and a new outer CV joint?

From my findings, the outer CV joint should be able to handle more lift... it's the inner tripod joint that can't. Certainly a new upper joint is needed though.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Philberto » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Well, is there any reason to think that the same joint can't be used for the inner section as well? I just find it cool that they're using existing market parts that have better tolerances than existing parts. I'm not emailing them, as I don't have the money yet, not by a long shot, but if somebody has the drive and the funds, I've shown you the lake, now fish. I think this may be an alternative to SAS for us, and I'm looking into a way to maintain SAS, possibly swap out the front diff for something else, and have a long-travel suspension in the front for better roadability, which is part of the reason we bought these trucks in the first place.
Philberto
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Philberto wrote: I think this may be an alternative to SAS for us, and I'm looking into a way to maintain SAS, possibly swap out the front diff for something else, and have a long-travel suspension in the front for better roadability, which is part of the reason we bought these trucks in the first place.

That makes no sense.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by janesy86 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:08 pm

I think he meant IFS...
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007

by The Roadie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:09 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Definitely a cool new thing. Too bad our platform will never be considered.
Agreed. They'll do Tahoes a decade before us. I talked to Procomp's engineers in 2004. They chuckled.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Philberto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 pm

janesy86 wrote:I think he meant IFS...

Yeah I meant maintain IFS, not SAS. I still maintain hope, and I think this project would probably be more feasible if done by a smaller maker than a large company like Pro Comp. I can almost guarantee we're not going to get anything out of a large numbers-focused company.
Philberto
Lifer

by NeilageInc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Some one just needs to ask. I will build these for a fraction of what the other companies would want and you will still get the same quality. I will need someone to invest in it though. When one is ready I will make it happen for you guys. Thanks Neil.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge

by Philberto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:28 pm

NeilageInc wrote:Some one just needs to ask. I will build these for a fraction of what the other companies would want and you will still get the same quality. I will need someone to invest in it though. When one is ready I will make it happen for you guys. Thanks Neil.

See, I knew someone would chime in with the interest for a product. Neil, if I'm the first one with the money for something like this, I'll pioneer the way and gladly do business with you. Still have to save up for the rear storage, roof rack (both my pet projects) and then throw some bones at you for the front and rear bumpers, after which we'll start talking turkey regarding Long Travel vs. SAS.

Unless, of course, somebody else comes up with the cash first. Then you can rest assured I'll be in line for one eventually.
Philberto
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:31 am

NeilageInc wrote:Some one just needs to ask. I will build these for a fraction of what the other companies would want and you will still get the same quality. I will need someone to invest in it though. When one is ready I will make it happen for you guys. Thanks Neil.

Why don't we get the $ amount you need for investment and see if it could be spread out in cost between the members who have a real interest? Think of it as a down payment from anyone who will buy at the first run date. Have the set sales cost, when your ready to start production, at a certain price point for the investors and a mark up in percentage to anyone purchasing later.

For members of offroadtb.com who want these, all you need to do is invest in NeilageInc.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by That1Guy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:09 am

bgwolfpack wrote:

Why don't we get the $ amount you need for investment and see if it could be spread out in cost between the members who have a real interest? Think of it as a down payment from anyone who will buy at the first run date. Have the set sales cost, when your ready to start production, at a certain price point for the investors and a mark up in percentage to anyone purchasing later.

For members of offroadtb.com who want these, all you need to do is invest in NeilageInc.

This is kinda what I was thinking. Sounds like a good plan in writing but who knows how it could really work.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by Zero » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:17 am

Make it legal and binding for all those involved. Everyone will have to sign and have notorized an original copy of the agreement.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by The Roadie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:28 pm

As somebody who was around when Al Gore invented the Internet, even traditional group buys leave somebody holding the investment bag until the buy is completed. Deep pocket vendors with marketing forecasts they can trust might make the initial investment.

But take the Icon coilovers for instance. Icon was unwilling to do all the machining, and left poor overworked Johnny to make some of the parts, and no matter how great they are for my application, it will be a stretch to sell a dozen pairs of 'em. Unless there are a lot of offroading trailvoys not on these two forums. Mall cruisers are unlikely to buy them anyway. So it would have to be a prepayment kind of group buy. And historically, those tend to be stillborn. Wish it were otherwise.

Just look at my bumper for another example. I couldn't even get Teebes interested in the original design after he started looking at tube concepts. But Neil could knock them out any time for a lot less $$.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by bgwolfpack » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Negative comments only foster negative results. tsk tsk

The next question to be asked is if NeilageInc is willing to do the math to figure out the approximate research and development cost. If that info will be released and open to the group for discussion only than can members judge their own involvement.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

by Philberto » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:13 pm

The Roadie wrote:As somebody who was around when Al Gore invented the Internet, even traditional group buys leave somebody holding the investment bag until the buy is completed. Deep pocket vendors with marketing forecasts they can trust might make the initial investment.

But take the Icon coilovers for instance. Icon was unwilling to do all the machining, and left poor overworked Johnny to make some of the parts, and no matter how great they are for my application, it will be a stretch to sell a dozen pairs of 'em. Unless there are a lot of offroading trailvoys not on these two forums. Mall cruisers are unlikely to buy them anyway. So it would have to be a prepayment kind of group buy. And historically, those tend to be stillborn. Wish it were otherwise.

Just look at my bumper for another example. I couldn't even get Teebes interested in the original design after he started looking at tube concepts. But Neil could knock them out any time for a lot less $$.

That's why I'm looking at having Neil make a tube bumper for me... If I have the money, I'm more than willing to trust his skill and judgment to pioneer with my vehicle. I've seen his work after all, and I just don't see the need for a skinned bumper when I can fit so many things in and on a tube bumper.

Back on topic, I think that if we can find out what we're looking at prototype-wise on price for a long-travel kit, then somebody is sure to step up and shell out the cash. Maybe even me, once finances improve... still in job limbo.
Philberto
Lifer

by Trail X » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:04 pm

You guys are also not thinking about the other things that would need to be upgraded.

Even if you fix the travel issues with the upper ball joint, and inner tripod joint... you'll need to figure out a custom solution to a 4" all suspension lift... this would (properly) include longer shocks, spacers, and springs.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by bgwolfpack » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:52 pm

JamesDowning wrote:You guys are also not thinking about the other things that would need to be upgraded.

Even if you fix the travel issues with the upper ball joint, and inner tripod joint... you'll need to figure out a custom solution to a 4" all suspension lift... this would (properly) include longer shocks, spacers, and springs.
Hell James that's the fun part. I imagine at least 10,000 posts for that each subject alone. :friday:

This is a realistic idea to pursue, especially with NeilageInc involvement. :cheers:
Just in case you missed that.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Next

Return to Differentials / Axles