Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Long-Travel Innovation

G80, GU6, GT4, GT5, WTF? This section is for gearing and driveline stuff.

by Philberto » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:19 pm

JamesDowning wrote:You guys are also not thinking about the other things that would need to be upgraded.

Even if you fix the travel issues with the upper ball joint, and inner tripod joint... you'll need to figure out a custom solution to a 4" all suspension lift... this would (properly) include longer shocks, spacers, and springs.

We've sourced aftermarket shocks before, I'm sure we can do it again and the same with the springs.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Philberto wrote:We've sourced aftermarket shocks before, I'm sure we can do it again and the same with the springs.
Even if nothing goes forward with this idea, whether NeilageInc is involved or not, you would be the perfect person to dive into this idea of Springs. With your search knowledge and drive to find the answers it's someone like you who can help us all.

And Phil, thank you for bringing this company and idea to us. We will see if there is actually any other real interest from the other members. :coffee2:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by That1Guy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:07 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:
Philberto wrote:We've sourced aftermarket shocks before, I'm sure we can do it again and the same with the springs.
Even if nothing goes forward with this idea, whether NeilageInc is involved or not, you would be the perfect person to dive into this idea of Springs. With your search knowledge and drive to find the answers it's someone like you who can help us all.

And Phil, thank you for bringing this company and idea to us. We will see if there is actually any other real interest from the other members. :coffee2:

Trust me, If I didnt have to be moved out by June I would be ready to drop my TB off with Neil. IMO long travel is the only way to go, with tons more travel, better articulation, and obviously a true coilover suspension the possibilities would be endless.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 pm

NickNorie wrote:...obviously a true coilover suspension the possibilities would be endless.

We have true coilovers in our stock suspension. :scratch:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:27 pm

[quote="JamesDowning
We have true coilovers in our stock suspension. :scratch:[/quote]

It's okay... he's probably in a Honda state of mind :finger:
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by HARDTRAILZ » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Philberto wrote: IMO long travel is the only way to go, with tons more travel, better articulation, and obviously a true coilover suspension the possibilities would be endless.

But where do you gain the strength of a SAS? our front with long travel will still blow. Far to weak for true wheeling. Long travel will have additional stength on parts already stressed by larger and heavier tires. Our diff is not real strong anyway.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by irishboy02 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:53 am

I dont think our diff is the true issues here...i feel its more so the location of it. If it was able to be dropped down and didnt run through our oil pan (was similar to the h3 setup) it would free up alot of the issue we are plagued with...

Right or wrong? :scratch:
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan

by That1Guy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:50 am

JamesDowning wrote:
NickNorie wrote:...obviously a true coilover suspension the possibilities would be endless.

We have true coil overs in our stock suspension. :scratch:

No No No... We have struts with coil springs on them. We dont have a TRUE coilover. To me a coil over has adjustable springrates with a threaded body so you can loosen or tighten the jam nut compressing or loosening the spring.

Here is a strut. Notice ZERO adjust-ability

A single spring rate coil over. notice the threaded body with two jam nuts to be adjustable.

And a dual rate coil over.
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

That1Guy
Addict

by bartonmd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:08 am

NickNorie wrote:
JamesDowning wrote:
We have true coil overs in our stock suspension. :scratch:

No No No... We have struts with coil springs on them. We dont have a TRUE coilover. To me a coil over has adjustable springrates with a threaded body so you can loosen or tighten the jam nut compressing or loosening the spring.

Here is a strut. Notice ZERO adjust-ability

A single spring rate coil over. notice the threaded body with two jam nuts to be adjustable.

And a dual rate coil over.

In slang, you are correct... In reality, a strut is usually a coil-over...

In actuallity, one of the "coil overs" you posted is actually a strut, itself... Anything where the damper controls any of the caster/camber/toe of the suspension is a strut, even if it doesn't have a spring on it. The rear of my LeSabre, for instance, has seperate coil springs, but since the "shock" supports and directs the upper part of the rear "knuckle" (for lack of a better term), it's a strut...

A true "coil-over shock" is a spring and a damper that don't control caster/camber/toe... sort of like what we've got, with having upper and lower control arms that control all of that, and the coil-over shock that just controls ride height, spring, and damping...

A true "coil-over strut" is like what Hondas and most FWD cars have, that have a "MacPherson strut" style suspension system, where there is no upper control arm, but the strut takes the place of the upper control arm, and has a spring over it...

Any coil-over that has a threaded body and valving adjustments is called a "fully adjustable coil-over"...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Zero » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:07 am

Agreed. But names change where ya live, so for the most part your all right. I mean up here they call wheels "Mag's". I cant stand that.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by bartonmd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 am

Zero wrote:Agreed. But names change where ya live, so for the most part your all right. I mean up here they call wheels "Mag's". I cant stand that.

Technical names don't change, though... That's why I said in slang, he was right...

Some people say that around here, too... "mag wheels"... Sorry, they don't make "mag" wheels much any more, and "mag" came from when there were steel wheels, aluminum wheels, and magnesium wheels, with magnesium wheels being the lightest...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by The Roadie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 am

NickNorie wrote:A single spring rate coil over. notice the threaded body with two jam nuts to be adjustable.
That unit actually is a dual-rate, having two springs (one with noticeably thinner wire).
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by That1Guy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:04 pm

The Roadie wrote:
NickNorie wrote:A single spring rate coil over. notice the threaded body with two jam nuts to be adjustable.
That unit actually is a dual-rate, having two springs (one with noticeably thinner wire).

:wallbash: :wallbash: Just noticed that. Just imagine all the coils are the same with nothing seperating. :wallbash: :wallbash:

That1Guy
Addict

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:50 pm

NickNorie wrote:
JamesDowning wrote:We have true coil overs in our stock suspension. :scratch:

No No No... We have struts with coil springs on them. We dont have a TRUE coilover.

Hehe.. I guess your right, WE don't have coilovers in our trucks, But We as in Alek, Bill, and myself do!!

And what everyone else is saying is correct, as far as terminology, our's is considered a "modified Strut" meaning it isn't an integral suspension link, a "strut", like Barton was saying is actually part of the suspension linkage, usually holding the the upper portion of the knuckle.

Ahh and good ole mags. Probably one of the easiest way's to get your bonfire goin!! :viking:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Mistifier » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:50 pm

I realize this is old, but whatever came of the long travel kit?
Mistifier

Name: David

Previous

Return to Differentials / Axles