Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Disabling map lights... kinda.

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Guardian » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:12 am

Let me qualify this a bit. I worked nights for almost 5 years solid and as such usually disable my interior lights and turn my gauges way down (Easier on my night vision). However the wife and family like some light getting in. So what I was thinking was replacing the overheads with red leds.

This is where it gets tricky. Is there a way to separate the map light from the normal door lights? That way I can leave them white for map reading and still have the reds when entering?

I searched here and the OS. but didn't see anything on this. And No I haven't actually pulled the lights out yet, time has been crunched lately. It may be simply a matter of cutting a wire to the map light, but thought I would see if anyone has done this.

Thanks in advance!
Guardian
Cruiser

Name: Will
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by SomeOffPave » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:17 pm

:hijack: I too prefer the dash lights dim when driving at night. Why did the evil GM engineers think the odometer and PRND321 have to be brighter than the other dash lights? Have you ever been driving at night and wondered if you were really in Reverse or 1? How often do you see a 24 hr Jiffy Lube, quickly check the odometer, and make a sharp turn into their lot because you could see the mileage on your truck with out straining your eyes?

Sorry for not helping with your question.

Are you going to ask your question on the OS? It seams as if there are a thousand people interested in LED lights over there.
SomeOffPave
Cruiser

DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:53 pm

2002 has separate entry lights from map lights, right?

Sometime after that they swapped it to a single dual purpose bulb for each side.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Guardian » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Yes separate for both.

The OS... hadn't planned on it unless no one here knows. I am not a huge LED guy, I am just trying to get the best lighting combo that satisfies me and the family.
Guardian
Cruiser

by Gordinho80 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:37 pm

I've got the lights over each door... 2 bulbs per door. There are 3 wires running to them. The Map lights come on with the door lights. So if you leave standard bulbs in place for map and put red LEDs in the other sockets, you'll get mixed light when opening doors. You could cut the wire going to the map light and provide a new (+) source for them.... in theory it works, haven't tested it though.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Guardian » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:41 am

Yea, was looking at that last night. But I am not sure that is necessary. I noticed that the plastic housing has a circuit built into it. I am wondering if I can interrupt it somewhere in the housing so the map doesn't get the signal from the interior lights.
Where is my stupid multi-meter?
Guardian
Cruiser

by The Roadie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Guardian wrote:Where is my stupid multi-meter?
I got a few (6) Harbor Freight cheapies ($1.99 on sale) so I keep one in each vehicle and two in the house and one in my office in case I leave my main Fluke 77 somewhere else. You cannot own too many voltmeters. :thumleft:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by navigator » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:57 pm

The Roadie wrote:
Guardian wrote:Where is my stupid multi-meter?
I got a few (6) Harbor Freight cheapies ($1.99 on sale) so I keep one in each vehicle and two in the house and one in my office in case I leave my main Fluke 77 somewhere else. You cannot own too many voltmeters. :thumleft:

man, I didn't get a deal that good, I bought mine for $6-8 from WalMart.
It is cheap but I don't do anything detailed enough to need any better.

They save a lot of time if you are trying to check for a blown fuse.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by TSAdventurez » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:06 pm

(note this only works with the map lights on the sides near the doors not the ones in the center overhead hope this helps). i made it so that when the doors open or when i flip the interior lights on the interior glows red from the interior lights but when you click the map lights on they turn on and are white. there are two power sources and one ground running to the map lights labled a, b and c. a is the power source for the lights to come on when the doors open or when the overide switch is on the souce can be turned on and off. the second power source labled c is a constant power souce that allows you to turn the lights on and off at the light by pressing the forward side of the housing. the forward side of the housing is hooked to a selector switch for the second light that switches it between power source a and c. (it is constantly connected to ground B). at the switch is where the two lights are linked together if romove the light from the headliner romove the switch and fold down the tab A for the door lights. it will un libk the lights this will make the forwrad lights only come on when pressed and the back lights only come on when the doors are opened or when they are turned on by the overide switch. hope this helps. :) :flex dirty:
TSAdventurez
Off-Roader

Name: Jamie

by Guardian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:11 am

You sir are my hero. Many Thanks
Guardian
Cruiser