Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

OnStar, Red light coming from rearview mirror?

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by Opeth » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:24 am

The temps have since dipped down into the 40's the past 2 days here in NY, my truck was a little hesitant to start after sitting. I'm pretty sure my battery is on its last legs for being the OE battery and nearly 6 years old. I then also noticed my rear view mirror had a red light which is normally green. After I drive around and start the truck again ( where it doesn't struggle to start) the green light is back on.

Am I safe to assume the red light is coming on from my dying battery and the truck struggling to start? I didn't really find a straight answer on the OS, most were having the issue after removing stereos, playing with wires, etc.

Battery recommendations?
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by The Roadie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:50 am

The red light just means the Onstar module has failed some diagnostic, and I agree in your case it's probably low voltage. 6 years is WAY too long to trust a battery, especially offroading.

For reputation, performance, and vibration resistance, the AGM Sears Diehard Platinum P4 is my (and others) new recommendation. Optimas used to be the offroader's choice, but there have been quality issues well covered elsewhere. If you ever want to be winching, you need top terminals as well as the side ones for the vehicle.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:21 pm

+1 on the P4.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DJones » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:38 pm

I got a Diehard less than a week ago. The Deka that was in there was about 4 years old.
David
DJones
Trail-Blazer

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Opeth » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:24 am

Wowza that battery is a pretty penny. Not looking for that high end of a battery, don't plan on getting myself into any situations where I'll require a winch anytime soon. I have a slew of preventative maintenance that is due before winter, the darn battery wasn't one planned. I ran a red top in my past vehicle with no problems, but that was also a good 5 years ago too.

The top end ones at Autozone or Advance crap? Just need something to get me through a couple years till I'm near your guys level of fun.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody

by navigator » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 am

I was looking at the Advance Auto Gold, they have good reviews but are standard batteries not the AGM.

Edit **had to correct my typo** I originally had Autozone but it was actually Advanced Auto.
One time they went way above and beyond so I do business with them when I can.
Last edited by navigator on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by steveroche » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:36 am

I currently use the autozone gold and it has worked great for me so far...most of the reason I went with the autozone one is because they have long warranties on their gold products and it was less than half the price of the die hard.
steveroche
Addict

Name: Steve Roche
Vehicle Year: 2003

by bartonmd » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 am

If you're not worried about getting a GOOD battery like a Diehard Platinum / Oddyssey, a NAPA Gold, I think, is a Deka, and I had an Autozone gold battery that was pretty good...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

Return to Electrical / Radios