Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Headlight Bulbs...

Breaker 1-9, anybody got a copy? Any discussion or mods relating to electrons and wires go here.

by aaronrules » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:40 pm

I did a search, but didn't find anything, so sorry if this has been covered. I don't want to do an HID conversion, but I want to get the brightest bulb I can. I have done some searching around, and found this site http://www.finemotoring.com/index.htm has anybody had any time with these?

Are there better options? Any options? I have done the Silverstar Ultra whatevers...that is what is out now. I don't that blueish/purpleish crap either...just some bright ass light bulbs!

Any have any ideas?

Oh yeah...right now I am just looking at low beams (9006) bulbs....the highs will be replaced soon too if I can find the right low beam bulb.

thanks guys!
Lift, shocks, wheels and tires installed...need some armor now.
aaronrules
Off-Roader

Name: Aaron
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:33 pm

Looks interesting. If you dont want to use HID, may I suggest you look into the new LED bulbs. The have those super bright ass 5w + LEDs. A buddy in my old club had them on his pickup a few years ago, and they have gotten a lot brighter. They looked and worked well then, so I'd assume that the technology has progressed. I cant remember what they company was called. But I am sure you will be able to find something by googling or going to www.stylintrucks.com

As far as I know, these are your choices.

LED
HID (fake) no ballast - those stupid blue tinted bulbs that melt wiring harnesses.
HID w/ ballast - Must buy a DRL killer to use
Silver star - well known for problems and early failure
Stock GE halogen - Has that gross yellow output, not very bright.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 pm

If you do get HID... just please aim your headlights down a bit... don't blind the rest of us gross yellow light users.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by glfredrick » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:29 am

There seems to be a disconnect in the minds of many a headlamp user between the color of the light and the light output. Typically, in automotive bulbs, the "hotter" a light color gets (hyper white or blue) the less actual candle power that is put out on the road.

I've played around with a lot of different lights, and for the TB, Silverstar Ultras are the best I've found without really going to extremes.

PIAA has a few high perfroamce bulbs, but the cost is almost $70 a pop. Not worth it for the most part as they don't last that well when getting pounded in any off-road scenario.

I'd recommend adding extra driving lights or do the 4-lamp conversion instead.
http://www.UCORA.org == The United Christian Off-Road Alliance, a family friendly place
2003 Trailblazer = got groceries?
1995 Dodge RAM 2500 w/Cummins = got tow rig?
1986-90 Ford Ranger truggy = got rock?
glfredrick
Contributing Author

Name: Guy
Vehicle Year: 2003

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:25 am

I have the quad beam setup and the cheap sylvania, step under silverstar in my lows and the knock off fake hid in the high and the combo puts out amazing light. 3400k in low and 5000k in high and together they seem to work just right on country roads in the dark.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Before I upgraded to HID, I ran "XENON HID" lamps in the lows. The set cost maybe $30. Got them from Pep Boys in the silly neon light section. 55w and 5000k light output. They worked fantastically. But I can say that once you go HID, nothing seems bright enough anymore.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Zero » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:49 pm

MrSmithsTB wrote:Before I upgraded to HID, I ran "XENON HID" lamps in the lows. The set cost maybe $30. Got them from Pep Boys in the silly neon light section. 55w and 5000k light output. They worked fantastically. But I can say that once you go HID, nothing seems bright enough anymore.

Amen to that brother! Even more so when I had a real set of HID's in my pick up that had external ballasts. Now those were just simply awesome! Especially in the snow and rain.

The quad beam mod is on my list of mods to buy. But I have to get my damn skid plate on first hahaha.
Zero
Veteran

by Regulator1175 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Zero wrote:
The quad beam mod is on my list of mods to buy. But I have to get my damn skid plate on first hahaha.

There is nothing to buy Zero. Check out this article: http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=98

It is the easiest, and cheapest way to do the mod. Good luck.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Zero » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:04 am

Awesome link thanx bud!
Zero
Veteran

by get_over_it » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 am

Stay away from Euro light bulbs, I was using them in my Jimmy and they were great, so I got them for my hi and lows, on the Trailblazer and 4 months later my lights are out! Just checked the other night and found that booth my lows are melted at the connection. Wait until you can do HID, it will be worth it!
get_over_it
Cruiser

Name: Jason

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 am

get_over_it wrote:Stay away from Euro light bulbs, I was using them in my Jimmy and they were great, so I got them for my hi and lows, on the Trailblazer and 4 months later my lights are out! Just checked the other night and found that booth my lows are melted at the connection. Wait until you can do HID, it will be worth it!

Euro is not the issue. the issue is that we use 55 watt bulbs and many of those euro are 100 watt. If you do some research and make sure they are 55 you will not have issues other than short bulb life because they are cheaply made.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by get_over_it » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:03 pm

The bulbs are 9006 55W/ 9005 65W as per the mfg site, so what ever it is I don't trust them! unless I stupidly reversed them 9006 to 9005, I am gonna check on that. But anyway just wanted to post on my experience with the EuroLite!
get_over_it
Cruiser

Name: Jason

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:20 pm

get_over_it wrote:The bulbs are 9006 55W/ 9005 65W as per the mfg site, so what ever it is I don't trust them! unless I stupidly reversed them 9006 to 9005, I am gonna check on that. But anyway just wanted to post on my experience with the EuroLite!

Even if you reversed them It shouldnt have melted it for that little over. I would be after them to fix it.
HARDTRAILZ

by Philberto » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:15 pm

I've had excellent feedback from sharphid.com with motorcycle and automobile kits. Nice, small, durable, and cheap!
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by KE7WOX » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:48 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:
get_over_it wrote:The bulbs are 9006 55W/ 9005 65W as per the mfg site, so what ever it is I don't trust them! unless I stupidly reversed them 9006 to 9005, I am gonna check on that. But anyway just wanted to post on my experience with the EuroLite!

Even if you reversed them It shouldnt have melted it for that little over. I would be after them to fix it.

Yep. The difference should be 1A or so. The only possible way of doing that is if you had 100W bulbs, which would take almost twice the amperage and in that case you could melt the wires.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

Return to Electrical / Radios