Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

First Aid/ Medical Kit

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by TangoBravo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm

I carry of course the very basic items, I also carry a gsw kit, suture kit, a large wound kit, bee sting and snake bite kit. In addition I carry an assortment of meds ie. Epi atripine, naloxone, lidocane, blood sugar meter and associated meds, full IV and Dextrose kit, assortment of splints and c-collers. Compression boots and sleves. I think that's about it I may be missing some items. As far as price goes Im not sure what the cost of all that is as it was all issued to me because of SAR.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Regarding snake bite kits. Everything I've read says those things are just gimmiks. Do you have a better kit?

I was preparing for snake bites when I went west, and it said the most important thing is getting the bite victim evacuated quickly and to try to identify the snake (kill it, or get a description).

Thoughts?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:07 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Regarding snake bite kits. Everything I've read says those things are just gimmiks. Do you have a better kit?

I was preparing for snake bites when I went west, and it said the most important thing is getting the bite victim evacuated quickly and to try to identify the snake (kill it, or get a description).

Thoughts?

Gimmick or not, I would sure give it a try if I got bit by a rattler a couple days deep.

All they are is a suction devise, cleaner than having your friend sucking on the wound. And depending on where the wound is, without one, you might find out how good of a friend you have :shock:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz

by Trail X » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:26 pm

http://www.cobras.org/cob_7.htm

That's a good read about bite treatment.

Apparently suction devices can help, but only minutely. Maximum possible venom removal is around 15%, which isn't much. They also state that most snake bite suction devices aren't much good, and a "syringe" type suction device is best.
Trail X
Founder

by TangoBravo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:26 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Regarding snake bite kits. Everything I've read says those things are just gimmiks. Do you have a better kit?

Thoughts?

What I have James is not a kit like what you would buy at a sporting goods store,rather it contains materials to identify the snake with, and once it's id'd then it gives you alist of meds to push to slow the spread and hinder the reaction as well as keep the heart pumping. My kit also includes a blood pressure cup, a marker and tape measure and other items to help stabilize the patient. I don't have like an industrial suction cup or anything. The common agreement among the medical community is that once your bit you are bit there is no sucking anything out. Now Im not saying you cant but we dont waste time trying when we have other options. Now if the basic kit is all you have then by all means use it, using something is better then using nothing IMO.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

by Trail X » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:48 pm

That sounds like a good kit Robert. I made the assumption it was a consumer-grade kit. I didn't know you were a medic (unless your laws are a little different in WY). I know that tends to be a bit of a thankless job, so thanks for your services. I know a lot of time goes into that stuff. I never made it to the medic level, but was a tech for about 4 years. Someday maybe I'll get back into it.
Trail X
Founder

by TangoBravo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:03 pm

JamesDowning wrote:That sounds like a good kit Robert. I made the assumption it was a consumer-grade kit. I didn't know you were a medic (unless your laws are a little different in WY). I know that tends to be a bit of a thankless job, so thanks for your services. I know a lot of time goes into that stuff. I never made it to the medic level, but was a tech for about 4 years. Someday maybe I'll get back into it.

Yeah been a medic for just over 6 years now. Started in the Army then took the needed tests for the civilian certs and have been ever since. It is for the mosy part a thankless job and one that usually gets overlooked so thanks for the thanks LoL.

TangoBravo
Addict

by Shdwdrgn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but this article came up on reddit today and I figured there were probably others like myself who hadn't really considered a dedicated first-aid kit.

Original article: http://www.unflinchable.com/first-aid-kit-blog/vehicle-first-aid-kit-ingredients

The essential list:
    Tourniquet
    Lots of Compressed gauze
    QuikClot Gauze
    Tape (or Steri-Strips)
    Trauma Shears
    Triangle Bandages
    Allergy Pills (Benadryl)
    Pain Pills (ibuprofen)
    Aspirin
    Antibiotic Ointment (Neosporin)
    Nitrile Gloves
    Tweezers
    Safety Pins
    Emergency Mylar Blanket
    CPR Mask
    Burn Cream
    Paper and Pencil/Sharpie
    Headlamp

I also think there should be special consideration for any personal circumstances. For instance, my wife is deathly allergic to bee stings. While the benadryl would be useful in extending the time before severe symptoms set in, we sometimes drive in the mountains where a hospital could easily be more than an hour away, so we should be keeping an EpiPen in the truck.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Good topic, and I don't know if we have really discussed it in much depth. I have what I consider to be a decent kit, but I'm seeing stuff I don't have in your list. Triangle bandages are helpful for immobalizing most breaks, trauma shears are also great for gaining quick access to an injury, I think I could probably also get a few more gloves in there. I really like the idea of the epi pen too. Can you get those without a prescription? The only things I'd add to your list are a SAM splint, and a universal C-collar. I also have an IV kit, just in case, but they are much harder to come by.
Trail X
Founder

by navigator » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:54 pm

I think this would be pretty close to the one we have in the camping/survival thread.
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=980
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Dang it, you're right I got excited and didn't thoroughly check.

I'll merge these threads and sticky the old thread.
Trail X
Founder

by Shdwdrgn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:38 pm

Ah ok, I figured as much. And I was too lazy to do a search...

Regarding the EpiPens, honestly I have no idea. We've been married for four years and never got any to keep around, despite having a backyard pond that attracts the bees and wasps. Then again I guess she's not worried since we live 1/2 mile from the hospital?
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor

by KE7WOX » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Everything on the internet points out to prescription-only, Epi-pens are one of those things that can be very dangerous when used in a slightly improper manner, at least from what I've read. I'm not sure if it is possible to get them without one if you have some sort of non-doctor credentials (EMT/Paramedic/Nurse), since I'm sure you'd be well trained with using them, I do recall learning how to use one using their trainer pen during a 1st aid class, but we were basically taught it in case a friend needed help and had the pen with him/her.

Trauma shears are pretty cheap, I should get more for the truck, since mine found their way to the kitchen.

I'm adding one more thing to the list (and to my kit too): Tampons. Not for the wife/girlfriend/mistress, but for nose bleeds and similar incidents, they were invented to soak up large amounts of blood, so it doesn't get any better than that. Plus, if the wife/girlfriend needs one, you can always pull one out from the kit and say "I brought this just for you". I heard about using them from a friend in high school who said he always carried a couple whenever he had soccer games, and a few years later I heard it from my brother, who is a member of a rugby club/team.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G

by navigator » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:19 am

KE7WOX wrote:....
I'm adding one more thing to the list (and to my kit too): Tampons. Not for the wife/girlfriend/mistress, but for nose bleeds and similar incidents, .....

reminds me of the time my son cut his foot on an oyster and my wife wrapped it up in a diaper!

I can see it now, two (drunk)guys arguing at a camp fire, one bloodies the other's nose and someone shoves a tampon up his nose! LOL.

It should work good though to absorb blood when needed. Quick thinking like that is sometimes the difference in life and death.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by anthonyl79 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:34 pm

My wife is an RN at a local hospital and this is something that I have been after her to put together. Started looking around and the first place we went was on of the local guns shows. Grabbed a cool little bag from one vendor and then another vendor has stuff like scalpels, hemostats and other misc tools. Then we found a cool little store in town where we live that sells medical supplies that are donated to them by hospitals and doctors offices. The stuff is stupid cheap and nothing wrong with it. http://www.goodhealthwill.org/
anthonyl79
Cruiser

Name: Tony
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Grimor » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:50 pm

i tend to keep some quikclot in my kits.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001BCNTH ... SY165_QL70
posting on my phone so that may be a mobile link. it's not the military bandages but it's cheaper and works good.
Grimor
Trail-Blazer

Name: Dennis

by The Roadie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:09 am

I keep quick clot envelopes in my center console always within reach, and put one in my cargo pants or multipocket vest whenever I leave the truck.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by AA1PR » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:10 am

I keep one of these with lots of extra stuff crammed in for good measure & on the opposite side is a fire extinguisher
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Name: Mike
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by lifted voy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:08 am

Here's what I currently keep in my vehicle. On longer trips such as remote areas or multiday trips I bring the litter with. You can never be too careful.
20160421_193817.jpg
expirations on the front for quick checks

20160421_193919.jpg
lots of good stuff in here

20160421_193936.jpg
here's the list of everything it comes with

20160401_073539.jpg
Picked this one up for cheap from my neighbor

20160312_150540.jpg
Talon 2 litter by North American Rescue

20160312_150946.jpg
Folds up nicely to save space