Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Big Fork, Signal Mountain, TN

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by Flying Monkey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Went back up to Big Fork On Signal mountain in TN with my buddy and a few others. He got rid of the FJ and now has a Jeep. Other 2 trucks were a 2010 Jeep and a Toyota Land Cruiser. The land cruiser and myself had the most issues on obstacles, due to wheelbase. But eventually cleared them all. The rock wall climb was probably my hardest with no locker. Few other times I was 2 wheels on the ground with no traction, but figured ways over them. My Trailblazer surprised me again though with what I could make it do.....no matter how much it complained lol. But biggest surprise was the 1 Jeep....almost all stock and only hung up a couple times on rock climbs. It was like a little tank out there. That straight front axle made a big difference compared to mine. I turned down the big rock wall climb at first but buddy razed me enough I did it anyway. Me and the land cruiser had the hardest times out of the group with no lockers and longer wheelbase.

Last time we went out here we didnt spend much time there and went to another area. This time though we stayed at Big Fork and went everywhere. Only carnage I can find after a good washing (twice) was Smashed exhaust tips, bent the Bull bar bracket (pretty beefy) good bouncing off a rock (but feel it saved radiator) and some scratches, but nothing a good wheel wouldnt get out if I cared. Oh and ripped the ass out of my jeans lol. My biggest complaint on my truck out there was no lockers, not enough front flex and the long wheelbase. My transmission cooler made a night and day difference in temps going up the mountain to get there. Only went up about 5 or so degrees engine temp wise this time. The front sway bar disconnects were awesome. Right off when we got there and right back on when we were done, 0 issue.

At the beginning of the pictures youll see me outside of 1 of the jeeps watching under it. He had just got it lifted and a big skid plate under it and once he started flexing some we found his front drive shaft was leaning in and rubbing the skid, so we had to adjust it out there.

Wife took a bunch of pictures, Some are sequence pictures so almost looks like the same picture repeated. Youll see in the pics, we went to a place called "Insurance Bluff" where a TON of cars and trucks have been rolled off to be forgotten. Was a great view witht he exception of the morning fog.

http://www.brooksphotodesign.net/42112_off_roading/

Last edited by Trail X on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embedded the slideshow
Flying Monkey
Addict

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Mudwheelin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Awesome pictures man! Looks like it was a great day. The TB looks wicked in that color!
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Flying Monkey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Mudwheelin wrote:Awesome pictures man! Looks like it was a great day. The TB looks wicked in that color!

Thank you. I really like this color for a off road vehicle. Doesnt show scratches like alot of colors. Other 4wd vehicles ive been looking at are pretty close to it as well.

Thanks for embedding the slideshow JD
Flying Monkey
Addict

by Mudwheelin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Tell your wife she takes great photos! My TB is silver, so it hides the little ones, but shows the bad ones really well... The stance on your tb looks great to. I can't wait to get black steel rims like those. And I'm diggin the hood scoops even though there fake ones. They go with your tb perfectly imo.
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

by Flying Monkey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 pm

She said thank you. I plan on opening the vent holes up and cutting through hood under them to make them function, by letting the heat out and cooler fresh air in. I have been looking at other offroad vehicles, so waiting to make up my mind whether im keeping it or not before I cut more. That or changing rear diff to 8.6 and locker with better gears and regearing front. Just not sure yet.
Flying Monkey
Addict

by Mudwheelin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Keep the TB haha. The work you want to do is less cost then buying a new truck. And were all here to help haha. Don't give up on her yet. That would be awesome if you made them functional!
Build Thread:
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Return to Eastern U.S.