Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Bad vibration in 4x4 under acceleration

Something not working right?

by 2003tv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:39 am

I have not flipped the upper control arms should i try this and when you flip them do they stay on the same side and do i need a alignment after that or just stick with the cv test
2003tv
Cruiser

Name: Lee
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by navigator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:58 am

If you flip the UCAs you also swap sides
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by 2003tv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:09 am

Ok thats what i thought what about the alignment and will that help with the cv at all
2003tv
Cruiser

by Conner299 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 am

The UCA flip only helps with ball joint stress. CV angle will remain the same, as this is dictated by the amount of lift. You will need an alignment.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005

by 2003tv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 am

Ok so it wont help with the problem we are haveing at all
2003tv
Cruiser

by Opeth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 am

2003tv wrote:Ok so it wont help with the problem we are haveing at all

I was just curious because I was thinking maybe the caster could "possibly" be having an effect, but you just ruled that out since yours are still normal.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody

by Trail X » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:54 pm

It could have an effect if the issue is indeed your tripod joint engagement. The uca flip will require pulling your LCA out further (to align the wheel), which will change the effective engagement area of the tripod joint.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by 2003tv » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Ok do you think it is worth trying I dont mind spending the money for a alignment if you think it could help
2003tv
Cruiser

by Opeth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:08 pm

2003tv wrote:Ok do you think it is worth trying I dont mind spending the money for a alignment if you think it could help

I have mine flipped and have this same issue, so flipping yours will only save your upper ball joint life. I'm trying to get my hands on a factory UCA to see if there is a way to flip just the pinch point, it appears to be sandwiched between to pieces of metal and spot welded. These might be able to be drilled out and reinstalled upside down with 2-3 grade 10 bolts and fix the ball joint angle but maintain our caster spec.
Opeth
Addict

by v7guy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:56 am

I've read through this entire thing this evening. My truck is retarded high, maybe one of the highest here. I don't have the vibrations a few of you are mentioning. My CV angle is pretty steep.
Now I know this isn't of much help other than the problem most likely isn't just related to the angle of the CV. It may be related to the angle on those specific parts. Of note, the stock CV seemed to have better capability of operating at steeper angles than the aftermarket options. The stock tripot is designed differently.
I think James suggestion of removing parts and driving it is probably the next best course of action. It's obviously labor intensive but it would isolate each individual component.

Cody, did you ever get anywhere with those porsche CVs? I looked down that route a ways back and couldn't get anywhere.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Opeth » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:53 am

v7guy wrote:
Cody, did you ever get anywhere with those porsche CVs? I looked down that route a ways back and couldn't get anywhere.

All the spline counts are different than ours, the 930 joint doesn't plunge enough so the shaft would have to have a slip joint built into it, and its still something I'm looking into. I have a name and a number of a local company I need to contact when I have some time and $$.
Opeth
Addict

by Trail X » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 pm

v7guy wrote:It may be related to the angle on those specific parts. Of note, the stock CV seemed to have better capability of operating at steeper angles than the aftermarket options. The stock tripot is designed differently.

That's a good point, if it is indeed the CVs, it could be a minute difference somewhere in their design.

I have had very good luck with the remanufactured duralast brand CVs. Is it possible that the people with vibration issues have a shared brand of CVs?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Opeth » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Well I still have both of my stock cv's installed, I have not touched them other than adding hose clamps. So even with the stock cv's, I have the vibrations...

Edit: going to go tear them out now, vacation plans fell through and I need to vent some frustrations.
Last edited by Opeth on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opeth
Addict

by plaen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:00 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Is it possible that the people with vibration issues have a shared brand of CVs?

I'm running 2 new Cardone CV shafts, oddly one has a 3 rib boot, and the other has a 5 rib boot, both bought at the same time.
plaen
Off-Roader

Name: Paul
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Opeth » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 pm

Alright.... 4 hours later, both cv's were removed and plugged with Gatorade caps and went for a spin in 4hi.

Ride is smooth as butter just like in 2 hi, no shimmys nor vibrations. Just like I had suspected, its the cv's.

When I put them back in I'll remove the inner boot, looking at the inner tripod and try to see why we're getting these vibes. Might be a couple days, I think I wanna tear my disconnect apart and refill my front diff while I have all this crap out.
Opeth
Addict

by 2003tv » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:24 am

Now that we know that it is the cv's what do we do about it I got Mark's 3'' lift it did not seem to do it with his 2.5'' lift when i had it in but that has been some time ago that i had it so now what
2003tv
Cruiser

by v7guy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:57 am

I've got one cardone and one duralast. But no noticeable vibration/shimmy etc
It may have something to do with me regreasing both of them, but I doubt it. That's the only thing different between mine and your guys CV
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by 2003tv » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 am

I put on reman cv's from Detroit Axle off e-bay when i put them in and went for a test drive it was a little better but the vibration was still there
2003tv
Cruiser

by Opeth » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:22 am

Either we have to figure out how to lessen the cv shaft angle, really I don't see a way to do this because of the front diff design.

Custom high angle cv shafts.

Live with the vibrations ( route I'm taking till I can source the custom shafts)

SAS

Go back to stock ( that's no fun)
Opeth
Addict

by Karo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm reading to this thread a long time now. As i have posted in my own threads i have that problem too. I never had changed my cv axles and recognised that problem first after swapping the front coils to the gm 88 spring rate coils. So that makes sense that a higher spring rate results in more binding of the cv axles resulting the vibrations. What i don't understand is why that only happens in 4 Hi and not in 2 WD. I have some spare axles but they are cardone and not the gm ones. If i find the time to install the spares i'll report back. But first have to live with that problem until rear axle is swapped this weekend and on easter I'll have to change some coolant parts for my trip to sweden. But when done I'll report back as this time it seams we are near to solve that problem!
Karsten
Karo
Trail-Blazer

Name: Karsten
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting