Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

P0016

Something not working right?

by TangoBravo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:52 am

Ok so this code came up, I have replaced cam and crank sensor, also the cam position actuator(thinking I got a bad one) P0016 is the only code coming up. I don't know what else to replace or try, and suggestions? Symptoms, rough idle, exhaust smells rich, cruise control not working, lacking power, the timing is clearly off, I just can't see what I missed.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by navigator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 am

Robert, I don't like the idea of sending anyone back to the OS but if you search for that code over there, there are a ton of thread on the subject. From what I have read though is that if you replace the sensors and still have an issue then it is mechanical in nature.

I did have a Camshaft PS go bad and the new one lasted like a week and died itself. The replacement for that has been ok for a few years now. It could be possible that one of the sensors you replaced is actually faulty. If that isn't it then you might have to actually have some mechanical work done.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by TangoBravo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Well I first replace the actuator with no change, then the cam sensor with no change, then the crank sensor with no change. So Im wondering if the actuator I got was bad from factory or if there is something more serious going on.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

by navigator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm

I think one symptom of a bad actuator is a rough idle.
When my CPS was bad I had a rough idle on a cold start, that was my only symptom early.
As time progressed it got worse till on the way home one day the TB went into limp mode.
With my new CPS everything cleared up for a few days or so then the rough idle came back and it threw a code.
I took the new CPS back and exchanged for another one. No issues since.

It sounds like it is time to take it to a stealership.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by TangoBravo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Well from what I found on the OS there is an actuator on the exhaust cam it's self that can stick or go bad. I think I will clean and or replace that before I take it to the stealership. It's the only thing left really at least that's what I can tell.

TangoBravo
Addict

by TangoBravo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:11 am

Well I got the P0016 to go away now I have P0014, I don't know if this means something good or bad. Starting to be a real PITA...

TangoBravo
Addict

by JPA85 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:36 am

I had the same code show up on my TB. P0014 is the camshaft actuator solenoid. I had to replace both the solenoid and the actuator and then the actuator again due to a bad part. My truck had the same problems (ie. rough idle at start, bad timing, etc). This fixed my problems.
JPA85

Name: Jeremy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:08 pm

If you keep seeing codes pop up, I can probably post up the corresponding diagnostic routine page from the factory service manual.

If you want the 0014, let me know and I'll try to get a picture of the page when I get a chance.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TangoBravo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:25 pm

JamesDowning wrote:If you keep seeing codes pop up, I can probably post up the corresponding diagnostic routine page from the factory service manual.

If you want the 0014, let me know and I'll try to get a picture of the page when I get a chance.

That would be great, I like to do my own work so this would help alot. I have cleared them and they come back so this would be good, I think my next step will be the actuator anyone know where to get on and what it may cost? Local Oreilly can't find it.

TangoBravo
Addict

by Trail X » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Both 0014 and 0016 keep coming back? Or is there another?
Trail X
Founder

by TangoBravo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:12 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Both 0014 and 0016 keep coming back? Or is there another?

At idle in the driveway P0016 will trip, while driving P0014 trips.

TangoBravo
Addict

by Wahugg » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:27 pm

If it does turn out that your actuator needs replacing, here is a thread from the OS that may help. There is some good info on tools and tips in there, as well as a link that brings you to the Photobucket of the OP where he has some photo's of his progress that may help.

http://gmtnation.com/f25/woke-up-today-p1345-1979/

I really hope its something simpler and something less of a headache for ya!

-Wahuggg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 pm

P0014 factory service diagnostic:

DSC04272.JPG
P0014 Page 1 & 2

DSC04273.JPG
P0014 Page 3 & 4

Sorry, nothing on P0016 in my book. P0017 sets when the CPK and CMP do not sync. Maybe that code changed between the years?
Trail X
Founder

by TangoBravo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:13 pm

thanks guys.

TangoBravo
Addict

Return to Troubleshooting