Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

front wheels not engaging while 4 wheel

Something not working right?

by Mooseknuckle » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:56 pm

I have yet to lift the front passenger side tire yet to figure where the problem lies but let me tell you a little story. I was with my usual convoy of about 8 trucks. We had went to a new place we heard about. There was a rogue truck that latched onto our convoy. Well need less to say this rogue guy decides to floor it in reverse to get un-stuck and smashed right into my front bumper,Mike i love you you saved my truck from being totaled, I have no visible damage the guy blew out his back window and dented in his hatch door. He moved me about a foot. I was in soft wet mud and i was in 4 HI and in park. I don't appear to have frame damage but my 4 hi and 4 low engage from the rear but doesn't send power to the front wheels. I just rebuilt the disconnect new bearing new seals and lots of grease per James instructions. I guess I'm gonna lift the tires and follow James instructions. Anyone have anything to add? BTW not even a scratch on Mikes Bumper.lol
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:58 pm

maybe the jolt unseated the xfer case fwd shaft........ it could happen....
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by djthumper » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:maybe the jolt unseated the xfer case fwd shaft........ it could happen....

Definitely a thought that I would not over look at this point.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by Trail X » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:26 am

Put it in 4WD and start tracing the driveline. Lift both front tires off the ground and rotate the drive shaft by hand while in park. Does it rotate? If it rotates while in park, then there's something screwy in the Transfer case.

Otherwise, the jolt could have sheared a splined shaft or maybe sheared the pin in the front disconnect fork. Was FWD immediately lost? or did you only notice it after returning the settings to 2HI and back to 4?

Do you hear both motors engaging? Have you tried the system in A4WD?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:46 am

Ok will do James going out there now. 4 wd was not immediately lost but that all makes sense since it was hit on the passenger side of the bumper.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 am

No I don't hear them both engaging for 4hi just 4lo but neither have power to the front tires. I checked the tccm yesterday pulled it off and put it to 4hi lo back to auto it was moving I could hear it. I think it might be safe to just get a new one but first the disconnect.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Trail X » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:21 pm

I don't follow you. You don't hear both of the motors powering on when you switch between 2HI and 4HI? Which motor do you not hear?

Don't just start throwing parts at it. That could get expensive fast. Be smart about it and logically troubleshoot it.

TCCM is the transfer case control module... do you mean you took off the motor/encoder on the case?
Trail X
Founder

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Ok just jacked it up while in 4wd drive shaft does not move. I hear the motor (tccm) while switching into 4hi and4lo. I hear nothing when I switch from 4hi to auto or 2hi. I tool the tccm off yesterday there was no water or mud in there only grease. I also used di lectrical grease for the connector. I'm going to take the disconnect out and look on there to see what's up.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Is the prop shaft the front drive shaft? Or is the prop shaft the cv half shaft? Just curious. Sorry about the spelling mistakes I'm doing this from my phone and it has auto correct.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Gordinho80 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Jeff,
The TCCM is inside the cabin... under the dash on the driver side. I think you're referring to the actuator on the disconnect itself.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Trail X » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Mooseknuckle wrote:Is the prop shaft the front drive shaft? Or is the prop shaft the cv half shaft? Just curious. Sorry about the spelling mistakes I'm doing this from my phone and it has auto correct.

Trail X
Founder

by Mooseknuckle » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanks. Lol. I have the disconnect out everything looks good grease is a little black in some areas but everything looks good. Now I might have to see if it locks up manually. Then I will buy a tccm.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by bartonmd » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Mooseknuckle wrote:I have yet to lift the front passenger side tire yet to figure where the problem lies but let me tell you a little story. I was with my usual convoy of about 8 trucks. We had went to a new place we heard about. There was a rogue truck that latched onto our convoy. Well need less to say this rogue guy decides to floor it in reverse to get un-stuck and smashed right into my front bumper,Mike i love you you saved my truck from being totaled, I have no visible damage the guy blew out his back window and dented in his hatch door. He moved me about a foot. I was in soft wet mud and i was in 4 HI and in park. I don't appear to have frame damage but my 4 hi and 4 low engage from the rear but doesn't send power to the front wheels. I just rebuilt the disconnect new bearing new seals and lots of grease per James instructions. I guess I'm gonna lift the tires and follow James instructions. Anyone have anything to add? BTW not even a scratch on Mikes Bumper.lol

Sorry, I just saw this...

HOLY SHIT! Glad I could help!

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Mooseknuckle wrote:Thanks. Lol. I have the disconnect out everything looks good grease is a little black in some areas but everything looks good. Now I might have to see if it locks up manually. Then I will buy a tccm.

TCCM is the control module, not the motor. I think you keep mixing them up, because I have no idea why the control module would need to be replaced.

If you're referring to the motor, why are you going to buy a new one? I haven't heard you give a reason why you need to replace it.

Do something for us once you get it all put back together... go through the diagnostic flowchart...

http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech- ... wd-system/

And report back your findings.
Trail X
Founder

by Mooseknuckle » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:56 am

Sorry about the confusion. The actuator is working. Took the disconnect off several times. The gear that connects to the intermediate shaft from the disconnect seems to have gotten bent from the jolt. We tried engaging the disconnect manually in and out of the truck. Both times we got it to work intermittently. It seems the inner bearing was also a little bent. I ordered a disconnect be here by wed. I think I might also get a new cv shaft to be safe. Everything else is working properly and the intermediate shaft is not bent.
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by Trail X » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:33 am

The gear and bearing were bent? I'd like to see pictures of that... seems a very strange result of getting hit.
Trail X
Founder

by SaltWaterDrinker » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:25 am

I hope you neutered the bastard, and then some.

I hope it works out for you, bud. =\
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Mooseknuckle » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks. I called the dude that hit me I wrote his plate number down and got his cell. I spoke with him today. He said he would give me some cash. As far as the inner gear and bearing being bent it was the inner gear just a tad. Enough to make it engage intermittently. Also pushed the bearing out slightly to make the bearing appear bent but it was just out of place. I will post pictures when I can
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

by OregTrailBlazin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:06 pm

To knock a bearing out the side a bit, from a hit on the front, and having no other physical issue is just baffling :scratch:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Mooseknuckle » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

I hear the xfercase changing gears. I followed the flow chart and that leads me directly to the disconnect and for whatever reason is not working. So I ordered a new one it will be here tomorrow. If this still doesn't seat then I must have some bad shit going on. I will check the shaft in the xfercase case. But like I said I'm following the flow chart everything is as it should be and the flow chart leads me to the disconnect. Comments?
I don't dial 911
Mooseknuckle
Addict

Next

Return to Troubleshooting