Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Randomised electrical component failure(s)

Something not working right?

by SaltWaterDrinker » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Hello...

Okay - as of late, my trucks electrical stuff has been acting up. The VHF radio has been removed, and the CB sits idle and off...so its not because of them.
Anyway, when rolling the windows up/down, they move extremely slow, and cause interior lighting/gauge lighting to go dim and flicker - same with loud music, horn blasts, and locking/unlocking the truck. I also noticed that the radio's time has been resetting a lot.

Tonight, after work, I went to unlock my truck with the clicker - no avail. I then proceeded to unlock it with the key...and nothing turned on. After turning the truck on, it ran just fine (headlights too) but nothing on the interior (Gauge lights, the gauges themselves, interior lights, radio system, 4wD selector did not work, windows did not roll down, nothing.) The AC did not work either - it blew out hot air.

I fiddled around for a bit, shut the door and then everything "flickered" on. Gauges included. When I locked the truck up, the interior/exterior lights turned off in a HURRY.
The same thing happened when I got home and returned to my truck to get my pager - I went to unlock the truck with the remote, and the headlights turned on - no interior, no unlocking, no electrical...yet it still starts up.

What could this be? Anyone else experience this?

My first thoughts were the battery, alternator, or loose wiring...but it doesn't explain that it is temporarily fixed by slamming the door, then magically breaks again after the truck idles down.

I pray this is fixable...
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by NC_IslandRunner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 pm

SaltWaterDrinker wrote: returned to my truck to get my pager

Wait, you still have a pager? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Strange problem, could be a nightmare to find, My cluster went out on my 97 cavalier and it ended up being a short in the stereo wiring harness and the stereo never had any issues. I went to school with a guy who had to open his glovebox to turn on the radio! Hopefully someone has had this problem or you know someone that does this kind of work for less cause the stealership will rape you finding the problem. Ask me how I know!
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by dvanbramer88 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 pm

His pager is for the Fire Department . LOL. Im thinking maaaybe i short/issue with either the door sensor switch or the dome light or something controlled directly by the door switch.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by TSAdventurez » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:11 pm

I had a very similar problem a few months ago and ended up finding out that the power cable running to my rear fuse box had come loose (idk how?) and would occasionally lose all conection. Once I tightened it back down it solved my problems. Just thought I'd share my 2 cents ( may explain y slaming the door helped). Hope ur fix Is as simple.
TSAdventurez
Off-Roader

Name: Jamie
Vehicle Year: 2002

by SaltWaterDrinker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:21 am

TrailShaman wrote:I had a very similar problem a few months ago and ended up finding out that the power cable running to my rear fuse box had come loose (idk how?) and would occasionally lose all conection. Once I tightened it back down it solved my problems. Just thought I'd share my 2 cents ( may explain y slaming the door helped). Hope ur fix Is as simple.

Exactly what it was - I mustn't have tightened it well when I was done installing my radio equipment. Thank you for shedding light on that!
SaltWaterDrinker
Trail-Blazer

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2003

by The Roadie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:02 am

Was just going to say all those functions are related to the megafuse that feeds the rear fuse block. Didn't consider a loose connection at the fuse block.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 pm

SaltWaterDrinker wrote:I pray this is fixable...

Everything is fixable.

Glad it was a simple solution. You did a good job of explaining what the symptoms were and it made it easy to diagnose.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Troubleshooting