Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rattle after accelerating...

Something not working right?

by Stoked » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Not that concerened, but feel it may cause me problems in the future. After strong accelerations and letting off the gas completely, I hear a weird rattle while the engine is revving down (1-2 seconds). Im thinking camshaft/valves?
Stoked
Off-Roader

Name: Juan
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD

by Trail X » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:27 pm

You sure you're not hearing excess gas burning off in the exhaust? It kinda creates an extra pop or crackle. Do you have your resonator deleted?

You're really going to need to supply more information of where the sound is coming from and what it sounds like.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Stoked » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Definitely not backfiring. Sounds mechanical and from the engine. I know my fan clutch is done, havent found the need to replace it. Maybe it can be the fanclutch changing speeds faster/slower than the crankshaft :scratch:
Stoked
Off-Roader

by dvanbramer88 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:15 pm

Stoked wrote:Definitely not backfiring. Sounds mechanical and from the engine. I know my fan clutch is done, havent found the need to replace it. Maybe it can be the fanclutch changing speeds faster/slower than the crankshaft :scratch:

if it sounds like a "chop" like the sound that earned helicopter's their nickname "choppers" than possibly the fan.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 pm

I have recently noticed something similar. Never under load, but when coasting or slowing I hear a faint rattle between 1100-1500 rpm. Almost like if bb's were tumbling in a jar or something. I haven't been able to pinpoint it and nothing is obstructing anything. My fan clutch and water pump are only 6 months old.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Stoked » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 am

Another interesting note, the frequency of the rattle slows with the engine revving down which is why I continue to believe that its engine related, not something thats loose and rattling.
Stoked
Off-Roader

by dvanbramer88 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 am

Josh has the performance high flow muffler and if he rev's it up as it drops through that range in rpm's the muffler pops a little bit, but is a distinct exhaust sound, not the motor. I'm trying to help but idk what to tell you, a traditional "tap" is usually under load and/or when it is cold out. Is it "pinging"? try a higher octane fuel on your next tank to see if it goes away.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Have you checked the motor mounts? They've been pointed out before as "funny noise makers".
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Stoked » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:12 am

Yeah my motor mounts are gone, but it gives a nice plesurable vibration, kinda in the same way a washing machine would :safe:

Dont think that would be it though. The rattling frequency matches with the RPMS, so it has to be something that turns in the the engine (fan clutch, crank shaft, rockers). Im giving up on this.
Stoked
Off-Roader

by TransAm-98 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Maybe a broken catalytic converter. I've had a couple cars where the welds broke inside the cat, allowing the core to rattle around in the housing. It sounds a lot like what you're describing. Should be easy to tell once you get under the car.
TransAm-98
Cruiser

by Stoked » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Nope, definitely not. I know what you're talking about, my 5.0 had a broken fuel regulator and ran super rich. Went though a few cats.

Again, engine related, goes up and down with RPMs.
Stoked
Off-Roader

by MrSmithsTB » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:35 pm

Have someone else start the truck while you listen with the hood open. It may help you to pinpoint it. Pretty sure I have determined mine to be a loose heat shield. Just have to find it and rip it out.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Stoked » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:09 am

MrSmithsTB wrote:Have someone else start the truck while you listen with the hood open. It may help you to pinpoint it. Pretty sure I have determined mine to be a loose heat shield. Just have to find it and rip it out.

Tried this, can only duplicate when moving, so then there goes my hypothesis of it being an engine component :scratch: . Thanks everyone for trying to help out so far.
Stoked
Off-Roader

by damien » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:49 pm

I have also developed an odd "rattle" while on my last road trip which i took to be a loose heat shield or possibly a dust cover on a rear brake (changes from a rattle to a high pitch whine almost whit higher rev's )
Once i had it up on the hoist at work a found that by pushing on the tailpipe in a front to rear motion recreates the same sound with only my ears in a working shop i was only able to narrow it down to being between the front of the flex pipe and the front six inches of the muffler , therefor i am thinking either a cracked flex pipe or loose baffle.
Not sure if it will help you any but just give try nudging your tailpipe with your foot next time you get in your rig .
damien
Cruiser

Name: Gordon Smith
Vehicle Year: 2007

by bilit66 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Has anyone figured this noise out yet. I have the same noise. Coasting down to about mph. If I put it in rd gear the noise stops. If I tap the gas at all the noise stops. It sounds like a ball on a roulette wheel. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the sprague gear in the transmission. They replaced it and that is not the problem.It is driving me nuts. I don't want it to turn into an actual problem.
06 Denali XL
MarkMC 2 1/2" Suspension Lift, MarkMC 3" Body Lift
Beilstein HD's in the Front, BDS 55619 Lift Kit Shocks in the Rear, 32x11 No Spacers
bilit66
Cruiser

Name: Stephen Behm
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XL
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by dvanbramer88 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:37 am

The rattle sound a can of BB's makes, my mom's jeep made that noise for a while. One of the clamps on the exhaust pipe rusted away and it was one of the joints in the tubing making that sound. Also, Cat heat shields are known to rattle on early 2000 Gm's. My uncle's truck does it. Can't stop it, he dented, bent, creased the heat shield numerous times trying to make it more rigid, hasn't helped. Also, it could be related to the extra vibration of bad motor mounts. My dad's pickup had a bad front U joint that added a ton of vibration. Since he fixed it, alot of interior rattles and squeaks have stopped. Look into that first, it might make other noises go away.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Return to Troubleshooting