Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Noise from the CV

Something not working right?

by Kuchar09 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 pm

First off I'v kinda been putting off changing the fluid in my diff's and transfer case so that's at the top of my list right now.

About a year ago I had all my ball joints and both my CV's replaced by the dealer.
This is when I started noticing things were different, why I put this off this long is beyond stupid on my part. Didn't think much about it before but now its all adding up and I'm getting a little worried.
When I'm in 4wd and take off fast I feel a good wobble up till about 30 mph then it goes away.
When coming to a stop or moving slowly I hear a rumbling sound kinda hard to explain (mostly on driver side).
And when going over bumps I hear a nasty thud and especially when going over a rumble strip (mostly on driver side).

I guessed I kinda pushed this off because I was thinking it was a wheel bearing or something, but after replacing them I realized that wasn't the problem.

After reading this article http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech-docs/front-axle-4wd-disconnect/ it all started to make sense that my issue is definitely somewhere in my 4wd.

I went and grabbed the CV shaft and tried to move them and the driver side could move, but the passenger side could move even more and is flinging grease so I'm going to need to get a pair of cardone cv's.

So my question is what exactly do you guys think is wrong?

I was thinking/hoping that my cv's wern't seated properly since it all started after the dealership did the work and its been a year now and am beginning to avoid dealers as much as possible.
I also am thinking it may be the bearing but guess I won't really know until I take everything apart.

Any advice, suggestions or links to help me in this process would be greatly appreciated!!!
Kuchar09

Name: Travis
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by navigator » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:56 am

It could be your outer bearing for your splined disconnect.
There are a number of failures common for our splined disconnect due to the grease in them eventually not lubricating well. Many advise pulling the splined disconnect, cleaning the parts and regreasing.

Do a search on the splined disconnect and go through the troubleshooting.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Troubleshooting