Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

2003 Envoy (Lift Done and PICS)

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by med71 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:29 pm

This post was kind of a mess because I updated it over a few weeks as I finished the lift so I'm going to clean it up a little. I received this Envoy from my father who is gone now so it has a lot of sentimental value.

The lift Includes: Rough Country Kit, Bilstein 24-103336 shocks, Moog 81114/81069 Springs, UCA flip/swap, G80 8.6 axle (3.73s), and 265/70/17 General Grabber ATs. For those that read this that don't know, those springs add 1" front and 1.5 in the back. I got it aligned this evening, and went on an extended test drive. The ride quality and road manners are great; I was really happy with the result. Now, I need to take it on some easy trails to try it out. My next steps include rear shocks, adjustable panhard rod, deciding on a body lift, larger tires/gears, and/or SAS. I'll be looking at an off road bumper and skid plates next spring/summer.

I also put the Rough Country kit in my '09 75,000 mile Envoy SLT with the stock springs and shocks 265/60/18s. It is perfect for a stock looking/running build...nothing else needed, and it rides great. I'll post that one later.

I added the pics of the '03 lifted plus my dad's first off road adventure in it....lol

I think I'm probably going to remove the 3/4 spacer out of the back and replace with a 1/2 spacer I found, but I'm waiting to see how much it settles first.

Last edited by med71 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 am, edited 13 times in total.
med71
Cruiser

Name: Mark
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Diacom » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:02 am

Can't wait to see the pics.

IMO, i'd get armor underneath as a next step. You'll need to make a final decision on the body lift before getting a bumper as well or you'll have to buy/build a replacement after you do it.

You'll probably get away with the 3.73 ratio unless you do BL and bigger tires.

Good luck.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by med71 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:16 am

Diacom wrote:Can't wait to see the pics.

IMO, i'd get armor underneath as a next step. You'll need to make a final decision on the body lift before getting a bumper as well or you'll have to buy/build a replacement after you do it.

You'll probably get away with the 3.73 ratio unless you do BL and bigger tires.

Good luck.

I definitely agree that the skid plates and rock sliders should be next so I'll probably look at those next summer. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way how fragile and exposed the radiator support is on these vehicles when I hit a tree stump with my '09. The reason I haven't purchased the bumper kit yet is because of the reason you stated. I haven't decided on the body lift, and I wanted to get all suspension lift work done to see what I think of it. I did get the UCA flip and ball joints done; pretty cool how that works in terms of correcting the upper ball joint angle. I decided on a set of 265/70/17 General ATX. I'll get those put on in the next week or two. I still need to get the rear axle in it this fall so I at least have the stock limited slip. I'm familiar with gear ratio and tire size (many years of experience.) My 265/70/17s with the 3.73s are the largest I will go. The thought of changing the front gears on these is not a pleasant one...lol I was definitely happy that the '03 had these and not the 3.42s. I'll post the pics when I get the tires on it. I'll probably just play with it for a year and see how I like it before moving on to the next phase of the build.
med71
Cruiser

Name: Mark

by 02VOY » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Want to pull this one back up as your TB sits basically how I would like mine to. How rough is the ride with those 81114's? I hear a lot of people say theyre rough.
02VOY

Name: Tom
Vehicle Year: 2002

Return to Lifts / Suspension