Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Re-lift: new shocks, new lift

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by hilljb » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:04 pm

I had only noticed that my lift spacer bushings were shot (again) when my suspension started making a ton of noise offroad.

Long story short: That spacer is toast.

hilljb_lift_spacer.jpg
Whoops... watch those bushings for signs of wear

So, I spent a chunk of today doing a new lift on the front of the truck.

The Heavy Metal lifts seemed like a bad idea. The Supreme lift looks nice. The Traxda lift is also inside the strut, but only lifts 2.5" (actually, 2"-2.25" without the top-of-strut spacer). There are also new Bilstein ride-height-adjustable shocks now available.

hilljb_bilstein.jpg
Bilstein 5100 rideheight adjustable shock

I needed new shocks anyway, since the top of my old passenger side one was destroyed by digging into my lift spacer. I went with a combination of the Bilstein 5100 ride-height-adjustable shock and the Traxda in-strut spacer, and the entire Traxda kit was half-off on Amazon.. score. I set the Bilstein on it's 2nd highest setting. Comparing the ride height, I'm roughly 1/8" over where I was before all of this using MarcMC's 3" kit.

While I was at it, I also installed new Detroit CV axles and a new upper ball joint on one side.
hilljb

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by 06denaliman » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Im glad to see someone using those 5100’s. I am planning on lifting my denali voy soon and need new struts too and i dont need anything crazy high. I was gonna get those to achieve my maybe 1.5-1.75” lift. How do you like them? Then i wouldnt need any additional lift spacer or anything if i choose not too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06denaliman

Name: Justin
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by hilljb » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:59 pm

So far, I think they were a good choice. The adjustment was fast and easy. I put some spacer washers on the top of the strut rod under the bushing to force the top nut to be higher on the rod (to limit the strut topping out). Other than that, they went in just like anything else I've used.
hilljb

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by 06denaliman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:37 pm

hilljb wrote:So far, I think they were a good choice. The adjustment was fast and easy. I put some spacer washers on the top of the strut rod under the bushing to force the top nut to be higher on the rod (to limit the strut topping out). Other than that, they went in just like anything else I've used.

Awesome. I think im gonna use those as my lift just to level it. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06denaliman

Name: Justin
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Lifts / Suspension