Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Moog 81114+Bilstein 4600

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by GreatLakes » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 pm

okay so I've done alot of searching and found some helpful input but heres my situation. Last weekend I installed the RC 2" lift,moog 81114,Bilstein 4600 combination. My factory springs were 82/83. I have 3 speed bumps near my house I can't avoid going to work. going over 10mph I get a huge bang. 5mph and under I don't hear anything. I'm pretty positive it's my shocks topping out(with my set up I'm probably topped out at rest) my question/concern is: will the bilsteins be able to handle being constantly topped out? could severe damage to front end steer components happen? I currently don't have any added weight up front but will be installing a Curt receiver hitch(60lb),bull bar(30lb) and possibly a "Sparebumper"(20lb) (shock absorbing hitch step to minimize shock and damage if hit by another car). Would that 100lb make any difference? Should I switch to the Moog 81112 which are the same rate but 1/2" shorter?
FWIW: I'll be adding moog 81069(z71) rear springs,3/4" RC spacer and Bilstein 5100 this weekend

UPDATE:
After a week of an unbearable horrible ride and loud clunks over the smallest of bumps I removed the RC 2" spacer leaving my Moog 81114 and Bilstein 4600. The ride comfort is amazing. Stiffer and "tighter" then the original 82/83 springs yet not unbearable with no aftermarket weight upfront. I went from 33.25" fender height to 35.25". while not the maximum lift possible,for a daily driver weekend offroader its near perfect.
GreatLakes

Name: Steve
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HawkeyeC25 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29 am

Nice work at the troubleshooting! Sounds like the springs + spacers were just a bit too much. A heavy steel bumper up front would help settle it back down. But I'm not sure 100lbs would be enough to want the spacers back in. New springs will settle down a little tho - might want to try the spacers again after riding around with your extra front weight on the setup as is. Making sure you have a little droop is definitely necessary. Most front shocks won't take a ton of abused from topping out. Welcome to the forum!
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TBLAZER_02 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:49 am

Hi all

I just took my moog 81114 and 4600hd to my local tire shop to have them build the strut with the rough country 2" lift and for some reason the spring doesn't sit straight (see pic) does anyone know why this is happening as the tire shop has no clue.

I spent months looking online and researching using these parts together and asking questions on whether they would work and I really didn't get much of a response to say no it wouldn't. I just really need to know am I going to have to send back this Rough Country lift and if so what lift can I use in its place as we're pretty limited on an 02 Trailblazer EXT LT

Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated

Thanks
Attachments
20170928_164352.jpg
20170928_164352.jpg
TBLAZER_02
Cruiser

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TBYODA » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08 pm

I am pretty sure that’s normal and will settle.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Cody_S » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:42 am

So I hate to necro such an old thread, but it's been a hot minute since I've done a GMT360 build, and I'm having similar issues to GreatLakes using the same setup. Additionally, I do have the weight of the MDB bumper and winch up front. It's a pretty similar setup to what I had on my Envoy, the only difference is I haven't flipped the UCAs yet. Going to get around to that this week, but I doubt that would have any bearing on the speed bump issue.

Is this something that could settle after time, or should I go ahead remove the Rough Country spacers in the front?
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006

by med71 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:03 am

Cody_S wrote:So I hate to necro such an old thread, but it's been a hot minute since I've done a GMT360 build, and I'm having similar issues to GreatLakes using the same setup. Additionally, I do have the weight of the MDB bumper and winch up front. It's a pretty similar setup to what I had on my Envoy, the only difference is I haven't flipped the UCAs yet. Going to get around to that this week, but I doubt that would have any bearing on the speed bump issue.

Is this something that could settle after time, or should I go ahead remove the Rough Country spacers in the front?

I just assembled 81114 springs and Bilstein 24-103336 shocks with the RC lift for my '03. Before or after the UCA flip I had no bangs or other issues going over bumps, potholes, etc. They are definitely stiff though. Also, with regard to that pic above yours of the shock assemblies I can't see being normal. Mine were perfectly aligned when assembled. I had no issues before or after the UCA flip/swap. Given these springs and the RC lift gives us the full 3" max lift, The suspension does rest in a different position, and the ball joint is completely pushed hard over toward the wheel opening. If there are any issues with the shock assembly or wear issues with the suspension, I could definitely see those types of issues. One thing to note: when I assembled mine, I used the hardware that came with the shock and I didn't use anything from the RC hardware kit (except the spacer studs of course.)

Edit: A better way of saying what I said earlier. I'm wondering if the bang is actually coming from a different part of the suspension as a byproduct of the spring/shock/lift combination.
med71
Cruiser

Name: Mark
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

Return to Lifts / Suspension