Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Marin Wheels + Goodyear MT/R KEvlar review

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Zero » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:35 am

Hey guys, I figured since these tires were soo new, and i couldnt find anyone else here on the board with these specific tires I figured I would do a write up.

So I figured I would continue this topic in this forum as well. Since this is n offroad tire and wheel setup.

What I've just got is a set of Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires. 265/70/17 load rating E, on a set of American Racing Marin Wheels.

first off, wow what an mean looking tire. and it feels stiff as hell. but i bet u can run them flat hahaha. the flat black of the wheel gives me that aggressive, and stealth look. while not requiring me to clean them every day.

on the net the guys say that the tires isnt anywhere near as loud as their other mud tires. now i will admit i have never had a MT tire before. but these still do have a noticeable hum at highway speeds. and u feel everything in the road. this is probably due to the kevlar, and the high load rating. next time around i may get a lighter load rated tire to get back some comfort. but i will wait and see how these tires break in.

So far I have about 40kms on them. so far so good. no rubbing, no rubber flying off. NO spacers used, No grinding of the upper ball joint. There is,at least 1" of clearance....lots of space!

Ill keep people posted. and try to get some pics up in my profile asap.

Z

***NEW UPDATE***

Hey everyone, I have a new update for my on going review of the new Goodyear MT/R kevlar tires.

I have put on just about 1200kms since they were installed a week ago. I have been playing with tire pres., and i think I have found one i like that is suitable for the mainly on road driving i do. Right now the pres. is set at 42psi front 45psi rear. I am not set on this, so when i change to something else ill let you guys know. ill def be taking some air out of the rear.

the road noise really isnt that bad at all. especially for a large MT. i have had a lot of people stop to tell me how quiet they are, and how awesome they look.

After spending a little bit of time in a granite quarry, i got to test these bad boys on some rock, sand, water, and some mud.

let me make this clear, man it is hard to get these tires to loose traction. they just bite on everything and hold. the load range E is a pretty stiff tire, and you def. notice that off road. you will find that you wont need 4x4 as often.

all and all I am very happy. i plan on rotating the tires asap, and getting my alignment and balance re checked.

one thing i have considered doing is getting the little powdered bead stuff poured into my tires for balancing. supposedly they re balance the tire every time you drive. when you stop they fall down. when you start driving they fly outwards to the unbalanced areas of the tire, thus balancing it. def something i want to look into further.

**UPDATE**

still trying to find that perfect tire pressure.....going back to the tire shop to have my alignment checked again after i added some height to my lift, and put these tires on.

still lovin the tires its crazy how often people stop and stare, or give me the thumbs up. how awesome is a tire that performs well, and can make peoples day, and make them smile. now if i can only find a tire that will make a girls skirt fall off hahahaha

**Update** (sept11)

Ok so I think I have settled on a psi after talking to JD and my tire guys. right now i am running around town at 50psi front and back. may bump it up to 52 or 55 since the ride isnt to harsh.

in the morning when its reallly cold and the truck has be sitting all day, the tires take a few kms to warm up, and soften up. i can tell because the hum is a bit louder, and the balance will feel off for a few kms. but once warm they are just fine.

Im gona go out and re torque them today. Yesterday, i had the alignment check and everything was fine. however the rear is of by a very minimal amount. I guess an adjustable panhard bar will be in the works soon too hahahaha.

still lovin' the tires, by the way.

UPDATE DEC 4TH 2010

Hello again, Zero here with another update on my tires.

As some of you may have read on the forum I do have some cupping issue. Although it is only on 2 tires, and they were the front pair. What I have done to avoid this happening again is rotate the tires more often........and a brilliant machine called the "ROAD FORCE" tire ballancer. It is amazing, you put in very specific info about the tire and wheel you are balancing, the type of vehicle. It then swings in a cylinder that applies several tons of force to the tire as it spings to simulate it rolling on the road. It is able to pin point where and why there is vibration, and how much vibration you have cause there is a red zone limit at a certain point when it just isnt safe anymore. It is far more expensive than traditional balancing methods, but let me tell you.......HOLLY SHIT ITS //// GREAT!!!.....no one, I mean no one anywhere I would go could get my tires blamced, and this sweet machine did it first try. It made a huuuuuge difference on my feathered tires. Aside from the tread noise, and a bad wheel bearing, they feel sooooo smooth when driving.

SO todays advise is.....if you have a large MT styled tire, that just wont ballance as well as you would like...take it to a goodyear tire center, or toyota dealership and have them use the road force tire balancer, cause i am telling you hands down......it can save you from buying a new set of tires, and brin the comfort back to you ride. its worth every single penny. :thumright:
Last edited by Zero on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:45 am

Oh, very nice. If I wasn't between jobs those are the tires I would have put on Roadiemobile Phase IV. I had the 31" Silent Armor ATs for Phase II, and they took me some great places, but even Kevlar in the tread couldn't protect against the fire-hardened sticks in the middle of burned chapparal bushes. One expedition to the Sierras included some burned areas that damaged the set too much to continue using.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Zero » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:51 am

ya, i think the best thing i try to keep in my mind is they are just stronger, not bullet proof hahaha.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Trail X » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:36 am

:need pics: :angry whip:

You'd better confirm for TECORE... it's getting close!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Wheels / Tires