Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Wheel spacer

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by UmphlettWilliams71 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:36 pm

It's been awhile since I've been on this site. My trailblazer is currently not running because of transmission issues.But anyway my question is just how safe are wheel spacers/adapters. How do they hold up off roading and is it safe to pull a trailer with them installed? Thanks
UmphlettWilliams71

Name: Michael Umphlett
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by flyboy2610 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:42 am

QUALITY wheel spacers, properly installed, are quite safe. Where spacers get a bad rap is from people who buy the cheapest spacers they can get from the clearance rack at Billy Bob's Bargain Barn, then don't install them correctly, don't periodically check them for proper torque, them complain when they are driving down the highway in one direction and their wheel goes another direction! Good high quality spacers aren't cheap, but what's your life worth? Last summer I put a set of BORA 1-1/5" spacers on my '04 TB EXT. They cost me right at $300. Not cheap, but they are some of the best you can get!
It's important to get the proper spacers for your application. 1st and foremost: get HUB-centric spacers! These center themselves using the 'ring' on the wheel hub, as compared to LUG-centric spacers which use the wheel studs to center the spacer. It's very difficult to get lug-centric spacers to balance properly, and the imbalance contributes to early failure.
For on-road use, get machined aluminum spacers. Do not buy steel spacers for road use! The reason is that steel is much heavier than aluminum, and that mass rotating at highway speeds can shear you wheel studs off! Steel is ideal for low speed, high stres applications such as a dedicated rock crawler which is trailered to and from the trail. For street use, you want aluminum.
So, a good set of quality machined aluminum spacers, properly installed and maintained, will cause you no issues at all.
"Never put passion before principle. Even if win, you lose." Mr. Miyagi
I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it!
flyboy2610
Cruiser

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Wheels / Tires