Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Beadlock--ish ideas???

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... ure+washer

been reading this today.

Need to do some reading on bead glue.

Looking for a decent idea for my 15's. I figure with what i got inthem, I can play around and not lose anything.

But the big thing is...i was thinking this would be a good topic for discussion, so ...Any other ideas? Done any research? Tried anything?
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 pm

That would make it a real pain to change tires.

If I had to get bead locks, I'd go with the Staun internal beadlocks... http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Rediculous price of those keeps me far away from them.

Changing the tire is just a matter of taking out screws and reinstalling after seating the beads. They say no problem with seating beads since bead covers hole until set.

I was thinking of weld-on beadlocks, but would need help since my welding is minimal at best. Not near enough to risk mine or others life with.

On atv's they stuff the tires with balls or pool floaty tube things, but they are not nearly as heavy.

Some racers runs screws from the side to keep the wheels from spinning, but that doesnt keep the bead set.

I would love to be able to see the difference of 15 psi vs 5 psi a beadlock allows. Why spend lots of money on tires if you cant get all the traction possible?

EDIT- Finished the article and I would have to say...i would rather have some weld on ones. Interesting concept, but not enough advantage to put that many holes in a set of rims. I think the ones that liked them didnt wheel hard enough to need them.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by The Roadie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:06 pm

Even at 18 PSI I run out of ground clearance on rocks way before traction or torque. The kinds of trails that 5 PSI might enable you to run are the same ones that the ground clearance that 5 PSI costs you will end up denying you. There are some places I am tempted to run at 25 PSI to get a different compromise between traction and clearance. But I still run heavier than I should, due to gadget-mania. :safe:

Mud may be far different, but I shy away from mud. :scratch:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Wheels / Tires