Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rim color

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by blazinltz96 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm doing some work on my truck this weekend and thinking about maybe painting my rims. Right now they are the flat color aluminum that came factory on the LTZ, they are in good shape but the coloration is uneven throughout the rim. Considering the gunmetal metallic duplicolor rim paint, or just going flat plastidip black. My truck is black besides the silver/tan two tone so i'm wondering if the black rims will just disappear against the truck and look crappy. Any thoughts?
blazinltz96
Cruiser

Name: Nick Paul
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Cable810 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Black would look good!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TBYODA » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:30 pm

IMHO if all black they disappear, however you could plastic dip just the center bit down each spoke and the cap, leaving the circle around the bow tie stock and dip the bow tie. This way if you hate it you can pull it off. I think this will match the two tone of your TB very nicely. Easiest way I would guess with dip is paint everything to your preference then cut out the areas you want silver.

I really like the two tone of your TB! :thumleft: Mine is all silver and thought plastic dip the same areas black. I am starting to get enough trail rash might be time to get something done. :mrgreen:
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:40 am

All black would make it look like spares. You could do thw two tone like this which i think came out awesome

I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by BC backroader » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:18 pm

I think the reverse of what HARDTRAILZ shows above would look good, too, where the area his pic shows as silver, would be black, and the raised areas around them left in silver.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by blazinltz96 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:01 am

Nice work Hardtrailz and yes i think i may try the reverse of that. What kind of prep work did you do on the rims? Not sure i want to scuff them etc if im not even sure i'll like the result on my truck. Also do you think it is easier to mask off the areas i want left silver, or paint it all and cut/peel the areas i want back to silver? I'll be using plastidip
blazinltz96
Cruiser

Name: Nick Paul
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:18 am

Just paint it all, then if you don't like it, trim off the excess stuff until you do.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:40 am

I did not do it, another member did, but I just liked the idea and results. I would tape it off. You do not need to scuff for plastidip and peel the tape while wet so it is easy to have clean lines. Plus you risk damaging wheels cutting the plastiip after. With the plasti you can just spray and if you do not like it, peel it all with no permanent damage.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

Return to Wheels / Tires