Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Help with 265s on my TB

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by blazinltz96 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:42 pm

Hey guys, looking into new tires for my TB and have been doing a TON of reading on the 265 vs stock tire size discussion. I know this topic has been beat like a dead horse but i am still unsure on a couple of things. I plan on getting new tires within the next couple months, and Markmc spacers (the LTZ version for my stock LTZ wheels) and later on a 3" lift kit from Markmc as well. I am a college kid on a budget so first thing is the tires and spacers, lift can come later. I would like to go 265/70-R17 if possible, from what it sounds like i should get adequate ball joint and fender clearance with the 1.5" spacers. However one thing i haven't heard anything about is what effect that has on the truck? will there be a large difference in my Speedo at higher speeds? also what are we looking at as far as fuel economy loss? i do a lot of highway travel so if it will tank my mileage i may choose otherwise. Other than that, any info or experience you are willing to share is much appreciated. trying to build my first "offroad" type vehicle and do so on a budget. Thanks in advance!
blazinltz96
Cruiser

Name: Nick Paul
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by thedeadtext » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:17 am

First, I am 100% a nub. So, take this with at least a few grains of salt.

I just put on 265s. No spacers and some almost free crap wheels.

But I do have Radflo (set to about 2 1/16th up front) and MarkMC on back. Without that lift, even with removing the plastic lining, you may hit the wells on turns. For example, with some black steelies and wheel spacers, I would have needed a body lift (or some aggressive trimmming) - at least when I tried it yesterday.

I will be pulling out the plastic wheel lining tomorrow because the bolt to the rear of the front wheel well will hit the tires when compressing at speed when turning hard. With spacers, you may have even more trouble as the further you push your wheels out from the pivot, the more they will hit your wells, particularly the back of the front one (at least on my 2005 XLT)

For speed difference in sizes: http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech- ... alculator/

For mileage, I lost a bit.
thedeadtext
Cruiser

Name: Mark
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by TBYODA » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Anything from stock is going to change your mileage. Mileage hit depends a lot on what gears you got and tires. For example I got 3.42 when stock I get in the 20's on the highway and about 16-17 mixed. Now if you plan on getting some good old mud tires with 3.42 your gonna go down a bunch 5-8 mph if not more. You say your on budget and college. Do you understand what goes along with lifting? Items break and wears faster.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Mirage » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:56 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441479398.682603.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mirage
Cruiser

Name: Cory
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:04 pm

I always give a big word of caution to the "college student budget builds" especially if this is your daily driver. Just like Robert said, as soon as you start adding weight and changing ride height, steering/suspension parts will deteriorate at an accelerated rate. Ball joints, CV boots, control arms, tie rods, wheel bearings/hub, etc. That ON TOP of your decreased fuel economy. Not to mention that any change in ride height requires a new alignment.

In regards to the speedo difference, it wont be off by 5mph, 10mph, etc. It'll be off by a percentage. So the higher your speed, the greater the inaccuracy. Also keep in mind your odometer will no longer be accurate.

I know I sound like negative Nancy here. I love seeing new guys get excited about the build but I feel I have the responsibility to voice the word of caution.

Happy trails.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by blazinltz96 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:28 pm

I appreciate the advice guys. Criticism is always okay by me, trying to figure everything out in the order i'd like to do it and if its a stupid idea by all means i'd rather have someone tell me. Basically, i am not building a trail or heavy offroad truck or anything like that, it will see the highway 80% of the time and when i'm hunting it will see some field and snow use. i was looking into the lift for extra ground clearance for some of the deep snow i encounter, and also to make it feel more trucklike. So yes i understand parts will wear quicker than normal, but by no means will i be speeding up the process abusing it offroad.

I've decided on staying away from the 265s. Instead, i am going to get Cooper Discoverer RTX's in a 245/70-R17 which comes out to 30.5", so an inch larger than stock should look and perform much better than my Fortera HLs. I think i'll do some spacers and a PCM tune and wait on the lift.
blazinltz96
Cruiser

by blazinltz96 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:33 pm

I also want to add that Mark is an extremely helpful guy! i contacted him about his spacers and he replied super fast and cleared up all my confusion. Apparently GM decided to design the wheels on my LTZ differently than all of the others in centerbore diameter, so that throws off my ability of installing aftermarket rims later on to my LTZ specific spacers. (Thanks Chevy!) I was not aware of this at first but Mark cleared that up for me... So shout out to him, thanks for the help!
blazinltz96
Cruiser

by TBYODA » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:56 am

If your going stick with 30.5" tires why get spacers? Most 30.5" tires fit with the 360 upper ball joint with out them.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by blazinltz96 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:43 am

I like the look of the wider stance and will want them anyways when i do lift it to keep a wider wheelbase so the truck doesn't get tippy
blazinltz96
Cruiser

by navigator » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:21 pm

I ran a 2" lift with no spacers a while and had no problems being tippy. Depending on your area a lot of tire shops don't like dealing with spacers. If the tire you settle on doesn't require them, I would skip them. It simplifies things a little and you can use that money on a radiator skid plate (great investment) or as a college student, build your emergency funds.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by BC backroader » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:10 am

I'm running MarkMCs 2.5" lift/level plus Z71 springs in the rear, for a total lift measured at 2.75" all around, with stock 245/65R17 tires, and my EXT definitely does not feel tippy, in fact the firmer rear springs make it feel more "planted" when cornering, and work well on the logging roads I often run. Because of my 3.42 gearing, I won't be going bigger than 30" or 30.5" tires, so spacers won't be needed, and won't be added just to increase track width.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad

by kcb58h » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:39 am

IMG_2000.JPG
Goldilocks is a '04 2wd LS EXT. She has 3" LM spacers and 87s up front and 2" spacers and 83s rear. This landlocked whale rides on American Racing Marin 18x8s, with correct backspacing and offset, and stock 6x5.5 bolt pattern that lets her squat on 265/65/18 (31.6") BFG A/T TA KO2s without spacers. I have had zero rubbing issues but my off roading is limited to bunny slopes and fire road doubletrack. The only plastic surgery the Old Gold Manatee needed was 3" of the forward of the front wheel well liners removed. (Which exposed my aux lights to mud.)
Then she got Massive's GMT-360 rear end, a Hotchkis front SB kit, and S-Maxx SBELs all around. Instead of new suspension rubber up front, Lady GoldBrick got 4 new BJs, upper and lower FCAs and......... Now I'm just showing off 'cause of the "Radflo Envy" I'm suddenly experiencing. Those things are industrial works of art.
Alas, my GoldenRod is no longer the luxo-cruiser she once was. The 87s are much firmer than the 83s they replaced and it shows. Road trips are bothersome after 4-5 hrs of feeling every tar strip on the interstate. I don't know if the 'flos are more forgiving. This thing is 2wd - no CV issues for me to worry about.I have only myself to blame for foolishly choosing 18" rims. I did it to avoid spacers, but 70 or 75 series tires on smaller diameter rims would have compensated for some of that harshness.
HappyTrails!
Attachments
IMG_2001.JPG
Last edited by kcb58h on Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcb58h
Cruiser

Name: K.C.
DriveTrain: 2WD

by thedeadtext » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:02 am

Got a good shot over my old bald Firestones... lol

And yes I have not flipped yet.

$1900/pr? Who did you talk to there?
Attachments
2015-08-24 15.18.06.jpg
thedeadtext
Cruiser

by maricard » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:09 am

You should reverse your UCA to save your BJ
_____LESS IS MORE_____

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

My build thread : viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5892
maricard
Off-Roader

Name: Marc-Antoine
Vehicle Year: 2002

by thedeadtext » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:21 am

Eventually :D

I keep getting engine codes I have to deal with.

If I can make it 2 weeks after a repair without a code, I will reverse em.
thedeadtext
Cruiser

by kcb58h » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Those 'flos are soo beautiful... thanks for the pic. I think long run spend the dime now. If I added up all the money I pi**ed away trying to avoid buying Radflos, I could have paid for them by now.
You mentioned trying on the 275s and saw how many changes would have to be made. I assume 275/70/17 (32.2") Were there rubbing issues? With your setup I'd think you could go up to 285 w/spacers (32.8") max. That's the largest I've seen w/o a body lift.
As to your question, my statement was misleading. The guy I talked to was NOT the builder. The person I talked to got disinterested when I told him they were for a TB. 'The guy charges $1900 and they take 5 weeks" he informed me in a tone meant to end the conversation immediately. That's okay - I get a lot of "Why the hell did ya do that to THAT?" I'm used to it. I'm glad you had a more pleasurable encounter. I don't want to ask what you paid, but was the $1900 bul***t? I have no reason to fib, but the mention of "Trailblazer" made this guy want to answer another line asap.
For anyone who cares, I forgot to mention the .75" upper spring isolators on the rear in addition to the 2" LM axle perch spacers. These were leftover from the 2" RCountry level kit I put on in '10. I didn't save the OEM isolators backintheday but I needed that .75" to level out.
Take a look at the attached. 265/65/18 BFG A/Ts on 18x8 6x5 "Discount Tire Recommended To Avoid Spacers" A/R Marins. No wheel spacers. Correct BS, but what a place to put a UBJ. Never shoulda bought 18s in the 1st place. In the GMT-360 world, 18s limit tire diameter choices and have narrower sidewalls that aren't conducive to offroad pleasantries.
This combo cost me $2200 installed FIVE years ago. Absurd.
Happy Trails.
Attachments
IMG_0238[1].JPG
Last edited by kcb58h on Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcb58h
Cruiser

by v7guy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:52 pm

Opeth was the last guy I know that grabbed a set of radflos, they aren't $1900, dunno where that number came from, weird stuff.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by kcb58h » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:24 pm

Look at some of my posts. I've had 265/65/18s on 18x8s no spacers and a 2" RC level kit for five years. ZERO rubbings issues. I did cut about 6" well liner in forward front wheel wells. That just got my fogs muddy.
Happy Trails
Attachments
SUNP0005.JPG
As she stands (squats?) 2day. 3"LM kit and 87s up front.
IMG_0054.JPG
2010 to May '15 with 2" RoughCountry kit. Stock '83s all around. Same wheels and tires.
kcb58h
Cruiser

Return to Wheels / Tires