Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

16s on ext!

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by mj_tb » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:33 pm

So I searched and searched and everywhere I looked said 16s will not fit an ext (long wheel base) trailblazer. So I broke out my tape measure and went to work I got an old set of Tacoma wheels and tires for free. And guess what they are 16s and they do fit over the front brakes without modification. Granted I do have wheel adapters to go to 6x5.5 but that was needed to fit the larger tires anyways. I'll add so.e pics once I get them cleaned up. There is about 7mm from the top of the caliper to the inside of the rim.
mj_tb

Name: mark
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Diacom » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:35 pm

The reason they will not fit, stock, is the wheel will be to close to the caliper, causing interference issues. However, with a spacer/adapter, you gain enough clearance that 16" will work.

The other option that you can go with is drop down to non extended calipers and brackets/rotors, this will also let you fit w/o other modifications, but defeats the purpose of having the bigger brakes.

Otherwise, no one said they wouldn't fit, just not bone stock. Heck, Hardtrailz has run 15" wheels on his standard TB before.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mj_tb » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:31 pm

How does spacers change anything except stick the wheel out farther? The difference between the ext and standard brakes are diameter not width right? All I'm saying is I was told by all these people that the diameter was the issue and that's not the case. At least for me it wasnt
mj_tb

Name: mark
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by v7guy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Some wheels get wider in diameter the farther towards the back of the wheel you go, so by spacing it further from the hub you can sometimes get more room for the caliper... depending on the design of the wheel.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Jrgunn5150 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:21 pm

So... My V8 brakes are the same as EXT brakes right? I'm going to have to check this out tomorrow
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Return to Wheels / Tires