Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

thinking of Treadwrights

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by MartinTheLaker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 am

So I see very many people here happy about the Treadwright guard dogs. And I am very happy with their prices. I was originally set on to toyo tires open country m/t, but after looking at their prices they're pretty expensive. I think the lowest I found was around 350 USD (anyone know why they're more expensive? they are a good looking tire). I think I will go with the guard dogs and I was looking into getting the 315/70/17. There's a (D) and (E). Don't know what D and E stand for.
Comparing a 285 to a 315, what are the noticeable differences? More cutting of the fender with 315s than 285s? If i run a 0 offset tire with 315s is that gonna be a problem?

Thanks,

Martin
MartinTheLaker

Name: Martin
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by v7guy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:50 am

They're more expensive cause they're all new.

D and E is the load range
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=55

315 or a 285? You lost me here. You're either comparing a 33 and a 35 or your comparing a narrower 35 to a wider one. Either way you're gonna be cutting, wheel offset will depend on width.

It looks like you need to do a lil bit more reading here and a bit more exact with your question.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by D60Destroyer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 am

That's a pretty big tire. Google said they are retreads. Old worn out tires with a new skin and different name melted on. It'll take a bunch if lift and cutting to make those fit a Trailblazer... I have a 2.5" lift and 31x10.8's that rub everyday in the parking lot. The letter E and D are load ratings. E has a higher rated load capacity and is a stiffer tire than a load E tire. Their's more to it like belts thickness and sidewall and tread plies and tread longevity. If you tow heavy stuff, Load E. If you don't tow and have a lightweight rig, Load D will flex better off road and won't be as stiff as a Load E tire.

1985 K3500 44" TSL's. 2004 Aveo 27" BFG AT's. 2000 Chevy 6.0 33" BFG MT's. 1980 Toy 40x17's. 1988 S-10 EFI 409ci sbc BFG AT's, 2003 Ext 31" BFG AT's
D60Destroyer
Cruiser

Name: Bodey
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by v7guy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:35 am

Bodey, there's a substantial thread here documenting the tires. Originally they were held in fairly high regaurd with them being an economical choice with great customer service. Then there started to be some serious customer service issues when there was a problem.

Copying fishsticks, Maybe 89 springs with half inch spacer and a 3" body lift would get him there with cutting
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by TBYODA » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15 am

Martin I got to ask what gearing do you got? I hope 4:10 to run 35". Also some food for thought the guarddog hum a lot, and it has been confirmed from other members using treadwright tires that the cost per mile works out to be the same $$.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:39 am

I personally ran the Treadwright Guard Dogs in 315-70-17. Hated them... In fact they had me considering selling my truck cause of them. I love my truck again with the new tires.

I was asked about them yesterday and here is my response...

Treadwrights--

Cracks in rubber. Dryrotting started within a year.

God Awful noise that passengers complained about. Like an alarm clock. Swampers sound better. So bad that when I got rid of them, my wife finally noticed I need new exhaust.

They are HEAVY--enough I could feel it and my MPG went up went I ditched them. I think 15 or 16 lbs each heavier than normal tire. I actually put them on a scale.

No Sidewall tread.

Ugly as sin.

Acceptable performance, but nothing great. On or off road. No better than a new cheap offbrand mud tire and no cheaper.

They are not to be aired down, which is one of the most postive things to do when you are offroad.

I had to warranty one tire the day I got them. They sent the wrong one to me then. Had to get another sent.

Later they gave my personal info to someone trying to warranty them again in a case of fraud. They sent someone my home info and maybe my account info, they would net tell me what all info they gave some guy with a totally different name and in a different state. I caught the fraud when they sent me tracking after they had given him copy of my previous invoice somehow. BS really.

Not my issue, but the new bead to bead caps they are doing eliminates the ability to know you are getting the same carcass. I flat asked them if they could ensure you got 3 ply sidewalls and they said they no longer could, but "try" to send same brand carcass. So you could end up with some 2 ply sidewalls and some 3 in the same set you receive now. Or you could get a BFG, a Yokohama, and a couple Goodyear carcasses and never know it. Not something I want to trust when wheeling 500 miles from home on top of a mountain.

If you got a beater or farm truck and dont go fast or far, they are an option, but they only saved me $100 versus the tires I have now that I love. I think and truck and the family I drive around in it is worth far more than that minute savings. Hell its less than two tanks of fuel.

--I also believe Rory had a couple fail on him after one of the wheeling events he attended.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Cable810 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 am

The weight on the 285/70/17 tires is approximately 65 lbs each. That's what the Rep at treadwright told me.
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by The Roadie » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 am

If the $$ you save getting treadwrights is essential to your offroading budget, you don't have enough equipment or safety funds to make good decisions on the trail. Like Kyle, I wouldn't recommend any solo or aggressive trips anywhere off pavement.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:58 am

Cable810 wrote:The weight on the 285/70/17 tires is approximately 65 lbs each. That's what the Rep at treadwright told me.

Makes sense. About 11 lbs heavier than a Duratrac in 285-70-17 at 54 lbs. Heavier than my 35s.

I think my 315-70-17 were 76-78 lbs on the scale and same size duratrac is 60. My Fierce are 63 lbs in 35-12.50-17.

Pretty significant in rotational weight.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by MartinTheLaker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:48 am

Ok thanks guys. I have more reading to do.
MartinTheLaker

Name: Martin

by mikekey » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:42 am

Yeah, my heavy ass Nitto's are 68lbs each. I kind of regret that, but I'm still happy with the Nittos off pavement and on pavement they are quite. But they do hydro easily on pavement at speed in heavy rain. They are a M/T as well.

I concur with HARDTRAILZ & Roadie, don't be cheap in the wrong places, you will regret it.

And don't be one of the dummies whose like, "my walmart XYZ works .... "so far" .... Because when so far runs out we'll all laugh.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike

by Aries » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:06 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I personally ran the Treadwright Guard Dogs in 315-70-17. Hated them...

Same here! I'm running 265-75-16 GD's on my DD and can't wait to get them off. I'm looking at the Falken Wildpeak A/T 285/75r16 @ 62lbs, a couple of the VFC run the Falken's on their brush trucks with success and they have good reviews as a hwy tire.
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2002

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:20 pm

Aries wrote:I'm looking at the Falken Wildpeak A/T 285/75r16 @ 62lbs, a couple of the VFC run the Falken's on their brush trucks with success and they have good reviews as a hwy tire.

Interesting. I put the Wildpeak AT on my dads 4x4 3/4 ton Chevy (265-75-16) and he hates them. Says they are wearing really quick. He has to use 4x4 more often then his highway nothing tires we took off it.

He drives 98% on road but has been running around his 20 acres he is building on through the muddy construction site. He pulls trailers fairly often but usually light stuff and his bobcat occasionally.

He has about 10K miles on them and they do look worn but I did not measure them yet.

I am surprised and feel bad because I read all the great reviews on tire sites and forum and in magazines and figured they would be a perfect fit for his needs. Unfortunately the guy that does not really care about tires tells me about once a week how he does not like them.

I will measure the tread depth and see where they really stand, but figures I would give you a heads up.
HARDTRAILZ

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:44 pm

I ran 285/75/16 Guard Dogs and I never had a issue with them, I know of 2 people who had customer service issues, I never had any issues with their service myself.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by Moots1288 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:43 pm

I didn't have a problem with there customer service. But I wasnt a big fan of the tires. only had them a couple of months before I got MT_R's
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by drburke » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:19 pm

10,000 miles and counting, and I'm happy with them so far. Yeah, they're heavy and you can tell at the pump, but they dig good and not too loud either. Probably won't get them again though, next tire will probably be KM2s.
drburke
Off-Roader

Name: Burke

by soloshold » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:17 pm

do not get treadwrights

this was my recent experience with them.

They have lied to me for a week straight...

minimum weight to balance 1 tire was 6oz others over 10 oz

one of the tires didn't make it 10 miles going 35 before it started to seperate, the tires had patches in them, they sent me 2 different sets of carcasses, one carcass was date coded 2011. that was verified by 2 tires shops.

I did some digging after filing my claim with them, they do this a lot, despite people saying that if they send you 1 bad tire,( which they state in small print is the QA on them) that they would replace them..

Watch the videos..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sit5aTUQrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5vAo-191U

ERIC PEREZ and DAVID GOMEZ at TReadWright promised me a full refund with mount and balance, I asked them to pay for shipping to ick these up from me, and they said they would on the 30th, David and Eric both now ignore my phonecalls, emails, and voicemails, I recorded the last phonecall with David. They haven't done anything for me. Except lie to me.. The tires are junk.. not safe.
soloshold

Name: Han Solo
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: AWD

by TBYODA » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:21 pm

soloshold wrote:do not get treadwrights

this was my recent experience with them.

They have lied to me for a week straight...

minimum weight to balance 1 tire was 6oz others over 10 oz

one of the tires didn't make it 10 miles going 35 before it started to seperate, the tires had patches in them, they sent me 2 different sets of carcasses, one carcass was date coded 2011. that was verified by 2 tires shops.

I did some digging after filing my claim with them, they do this a lot, despite people saying that if they send you 1 bad tire,( which they state in small print is the QA on them) that they would replace them..

Watch the videos..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sit5aTUQrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5vAo-191U

ERIC PEREZ and DAVID GOMEZ at TReadWright promised me a full refund with mount and balance, I asked them to pay for shipping to ick these up from me, and they said they would on the 30th, David and Eric both now ignore my phonecalls, emails, and voicemails, I recorded the last phonecall with David. They haven't done anything for me. Except lie to me.. The tires are junk.. not safe.

That sucks dude, mine hum like a mother but not with that thump (of course they were already used from another member). Put them on CL for farm use only to recoup some $$ back.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by soloshold » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Honestly, I couldn't do someone like TreadWright did me. They need to be cut in half and recycled into children's playgrounds..

this experience chewed through multiple paychecks, and as a really huge warning to anyone that is even thinking about spending your hard earned money with this company, please do everyone on and off the road a huge service by not putting them in danger..
soloshold

Name: Han Solo
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: AWD

by TBYODA » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Yea I see your point, make a tire planter out of them or send them to the mega shredder guys to shred and maybe get them on tv. Or talk to your local news to investigate them, which could get you some action.

I have been thinking if replacing mine because of the poor history and the dry rot I am seeing.

TBYODA

Next

Return to Wheels / Tires