Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

New Setup Help

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Moots1288 wrote:
DirtyBacon04 wrote:
v7guy wrote:yeah, I don't know why people gotta fu(k with the new guys all the time, those stickies are confusing as all hell

Homeboy isn't even acknowledging our sarcastic-asshole-ishness...

That makes me sad...

Maybe he just doesn't like you :)

Everybody likes bacon... regardless of it's cleanliness
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Moots1288 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:56 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:
Moots1288 wrote:
DirtyBacon04 wrote:[quote="v7guy"]yeah, I don't know why people gotta fu(k with the new guys all the time, those stickies are confusing as all hell

Homeboy isn't even acknowledging our sarcastic-asshole-ishness...

That makes me sad...

Maybe he just doesn't like you :)

Everybody likes bacon... regardless of it's cleanliness[/quote]
Mmmmmmm baconnnnn
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Defenbach » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 pm

So I decided I want to get a set of wheels that are 265/70/17. Which comes out to about 31.6". Can I get away with just using spacers to fit them and not a lift? Also, if I just need spacers than how thick? If I need a lift Im abandoning the idea. Thanks guys.
Defenbach
Cruiser

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2005

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:25 pm

Defenbach wrote: If I need a lift Im abandoning the idea.

What a horrible statement... I refer you to trailvoy.com... :zombie:
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by DustinC1989 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm

1.5" spacer

might have some rubbing without a lift, but our lifts are cheap so... not sure why that would be the deciding factor :scratch:
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by djthumper » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Defenbach wrote:So I decided I want to get a set of wheels that are 265/70/17. Which comes out to about 31.6". Can I get away with just using spacers to fit them and not a lift? Also, if I just need spacers than how thick? If I need a lift Im abandoning the idea. Thanks guys.

Have you read the recommended reading? All of this has been answered numerous times, even in the last day or two.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by v7guy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:21 pm

Defenbach wrote:So I decided I want to get a set of wheels that are 265/70/17. Which comes out to about 31.6". Can I get away with just using spacers to fit them and not a lift? Also, if I just need spacers than how thick? If I need a lift Im abandoning the idea. Thanks guys.

I don't think they make wheels in that size.
If you don't want to lift it why are you posting here?

I'm more confused now than I was with the first post... it doesn't take much to confuse me, but still
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Put your right foot in, put your right foot out...wtf is this all about
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

by Defenbach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:11 am

I don't want a lift because I use my trailblazer for work, I have a job where I need to appear professional and that includes my rig. I think a lift will just make it look too much like a toy. Personally, I would love to lift it, and am still kind of debating the idea but my job is much more important to me than any upgrade. I'll look more into it and see if I can find some pics of a tb with a 2" lift and similar sized tires.

The sticky that I've been trying to refer to just says "spacer" and doesn't specify how large the spacer needs to be, but there are clearly and definitively different sized spacers ranging from 1"-4". So is 1.5" really all I need? Or am I going to need something larger?
Defenbach
Cruiser

by Defenbach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:14 am

DustinC1989 wrote:1.5" spacer

might have some rubbing without a lift, but our lifts are cheap so... not sure why that would be the deciding factor :scratch:

You seem to know what you're talking about, but at this point I've heard so many different things that I'm not sure what to believe. Do you have a similar setup?
Defenbach
Cruiser

by v7guy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 am

Defenbach wrote:I don't want a lift because I use my trailblazer for work, I have a job where I need to appear professional and that includes my rig. I think a lift will just make it look too much like a toy. Personally, I would love to lift it, and am still kind of debating the idea but my job is much more important to me than any upgrade. I'll look more into it and see if I can find some pics of a tb with a 2" lift and similar sized tires.

The sticky that I've been trying to refer to just says "spacer" and doesn't specify how large the spacer needs to be, but there are clearly and definitively different sized spacers ranging from 1"-4". So is 1.5" really all I need? Or am I going to need something larger?

In my experience a modified vehicle shows you make money and you are good at what you do. The bums I work with drive a 50k+ ride, and those are the slackers. If lifting your truck is going to be a problem, you work in a strange job. The crazier mods or more high end your ride, the better you are at what you do. If you're in sales and anyone comments, a simple comment "you dunno how much that costs" instills confidence. The avg spacer is 1.5”. Some of my good aquaintances on Wall Street rock very custom chevys. I'm not bragging, I make pennies compared to my buddies.But still, I get out of my truck in a suit and nobody thinks less of me. If your ride costs money it's not a bad thing.

In addition, If you give a flying fu{k what people think and a modified ride is a problem, you don't belong here and you probably suck at your job/and life unless your a priest.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by JorDaneeKey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:48 am

Defenbach wrote:I don't want a lift because I use my trailblazer for work, I have a job where I need to appear professional and that includes my rig. I think a lift will just make it look too much like a toy. Personally, I would love to lift it, and am still kind of debating the idea but my job is much more important to me than any upgrade. I'll look more into it and see if I can find some pics of a tb with a 2" lift and similar sized tires.

I work in an extremely professional environment, and the general consensus among coworkers and customers is that my ride looks great. And that's just the folks who can put two and two together about vehicles and realize there is something different with my rig. The rest.....they don't notice nor will they.

A 2.5" suspension lift gives some extra room while maintaining a professional stance on the vehicle. You will not look redneck or unprofessional unless you intentionally do something stupid to make it look that way (so I don't recommend a Confederate flag flying behind the rig). Also, if you are in sales, people tend to appreciate and trust folks more who look like they enjoy weekend expeditions, IMHO.
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:01 am

I did Real Estate appraisals for multiple banks and mortgage companies while driving a 1991 Suburban on 35 inch SSR swampers. In several hundred on site inspections of 50K-1 million plus properties I never heard a negative thing about my choice of vehicle and was actually complimented several times. Even got asked to bring it on large property inspections for one bank, since it could traverse farms and trails while carrying gear and property owners. Allowed for simpler more comprehensive inspections that could reveal potential land and enviromental issues.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by mikekey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:23 am

Money talks and bullshit walks. Broke people and posers pretend objects equal status in life. Plenty of people towing around $700.00 a month car payments with their BMW's and plenty of dummies buying parts on credit cards (free money for banks) while still making payments on their 8yr old vehicles. :facepalm: A shinny outside doesn't equal financial prosperity.

Sadly though, you've just proved the point that most people judge books by it's cover. When I did life insurance, the fact is people do expect you to appear a certain way, no one is going to take me serious in jeans and a tshirt. So a 3 piece Armani suit and showing it in my Audi set the image. But that will only take you so far. Confidence, determination and hard work will carry you. If you're a valuable employee you're employer probably won't care about your truck.

But I'm terrible at sales so I ditched that and went back to my natural field in programing where a driving an 80's Corvette, jeans and tshirts is not only professional it's trendy.

So I understand why you may feel the way you do. Do what you are comfortable with and set the tone and image you want to set for yourself.

Ok, end of my rambling rant.

LIFT IT! :flex dirty:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 am

Lift it...Fat Chicks can't jump!
HARDTRAILZ

by djthumper » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:44 am

Take a look at my build thread, I am only lifted 2.5" a lot of people forget that I have a lift until they walk up to it.
djthumper

Name: Larry

by bdp1978 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:14 am

v7guy wrote:In my experience a modified vehicle shows you make money and you are good at what you do. The bums I work with drive a 50k+ ride, and those are the slackers. If lifting your truck is going to be a problem, you work in a strange job. The crazier mods or more high end your ride, the better you are at what you do. If you're in sales and anyone comments, a simple comment "you dunno how much that costs" instills confidence. The avg spacer is 1.5”. Some of my good aquaintances on Wall Street rock very custom chevys. I'm not bragging, I make pennies compared to my buddies.But still, I get out of my truck in a suit and nobody thinks less of me. If your ride costs money it's not a bad thing.

In addition, If you give a flying fu{k what people think and a modified ride is a problem, you don't belong here and you probably suck at your job/and life unless your a priest.

I'm sorry, but this entire statement is one of the dumbest things Ive read in a long time. Among the numerous comments, I especially dont think people look at a lifted/modified trailblazer and think it costs a lot of $$$. Even the most heavily modified trucks on here are worth what.....$10g's??
bdp1978
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:36 am

bdp1978 wrote:
v7guy wrote:In my experience a modified vehicle shows you make money and you are good at what you do. The bums I work with drive a 50k+ ride, and those are the slackers. If lifting your truck is going to be a problem, you work in a strange job. The crazier mods or more high end your ride, the better you are at what you do. If you're in sales and anyone comments, a simple comment "you dunno how much that costs" instills confidence. The avg spacer is 1.5”. Some of my good aquaintances on Wall Street rock very custom chevys. I'm not bragging, I make pennies compared to my buddies.But still, I get out of my truck in a suit and nobody thinks less of me. If your ride costs money it's not a bad thing.

I'm sorry, but this entire statement is one of the dumbest things Ive read in a long time. Among the numerous comments, I especially dont think people look at a lifted/modified trailblazer and think it costs a lot of $$$. Even the most heavily modified trucks on here are worth what.....$10g's??

It's not the end value we're talking about. It's the time and money spent on parts to modify a vehicle. The fact that you have extra income to modify a vehicle, which is an expensive hobby, is the point being made.

And at the OP; A trailblazer lifted 2.5 inches and aftermarket springs and shocks doesn't stand out much at all. Look at djthumper's build thread like he suggested. The only thing about his truck that stands out is the aftermarket wheels. If you keep factory wheels and bumpers the truck looks almost the same. Just slightly higher. It takes a better stance and sits more level. Most agree is looks better and should of come from the factory like that. I've heard that comment from non-owners too. Also, most agree their truck rides better after the lift, springs and shocks.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:45 am

Defenbach wrote:

You seem to know what you're talking about, but at this point I've heard so many different things that I'm not sure what to believe. Do you have a similar setup?

There are 2 spacers available for this lug pattern. One is ~1.25 inches and requires grinding down or getting new, shorter studs. The other one, and the better product is 1.5 inches and works perfectly with no other mods required.

Both will let your larger tire clear the ball joint.

The 31.6 might rub some, but a little trimming of some plastic and a few bangs with a hammer can cure that. Also, if you can change a tire, you can add .5 inch top spacers in the front and add a tiny amount of lift to the front and better fit those tires without rubbing. The truck will be slightly more level and require no more modifications.

Ask markmc for a set of 1.5 inch wheel spacers and a pair of top spacers. Order your tires, and you'll be set.

http://theliftmeister.com/public_html/t ... page4.html

Order from this guy. A custom request needs to be made for the top spacer only. Its four 15mm nuts to install them.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Defenbach » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:06 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:
Defenbach wrote:

There are 2 spacers available for this lug pattern. One is ~1.25 inches and requires grinding down or getting new, shorter studs. The other one, and the better product is 1.5 inches and works perfectly with no other mods required.

Both will let your larger tire clear the ball joint.

The 31.6 might rub some, but a little trimming of some plastic and a few bangs with a hammer can cure that. Also, if you can change a tire, you can add .5 inch top spacers in the front and add a tiny amount of lift to the front and better fit those tires without rubbing. The truck will be slightly more level and require no more modifications.

Ask markmc for a set of 1.5 inch wheel spacers and a pair of top spacers. Order your tires, and you'll be set.

http://theliftmeister.com/public_html/t ... page4.html

Order from this guy. A custom request needs to be made for the top spacer only. Its four 15mm nuts to install them.

Thank you!

This is by far the most clear cut information I've got from this thread. I'm going to go this route and if I end up needing a 2" lift than so be it. Djthumper's tb actually looks really clean in comparison to most of the tb's Ive seen on here and I could definitely see myself going with the same setup.

I'm officially going to retire from this thread now and if you want I'll let you guys know how this turns out. Thanks again for all your help.

For those who are curious I'm a petroleum inspector for the refineries here in Washington state. I have to drive into refineries as a contractor, meaning I am representing my company and dealing with on average $400 million worth of product for each job, so trust is of the utmost importance. Its important for me to act, perform and appear professional within my industry and I take my job extremely seriously. To me, its not about how much you spend on your vehicle, but the appearance that comes with how you decide to spend your money. I have never seen a lifted vehicle in a refinery and I, honestly, doubt I will.
Defenbach
Cruiser

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels / Tires