Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Opinions?? two different tires from treadwright I like..

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by TrailseekingTB » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 pm

Soon I will be in desperate need of tires, and I want some that will look good with my TB, still gotta have my 2.5'' lift put on aslo..

First option : 265/70R17 GUARD DOG M/T (E) $476+ shipping
2nd option : 265/70R17 SENTINEL B2B A/T (E) $472+ shipping
*gonna be on road more than off, but I would love to know I got the tire capability for off-road when I wanna get off and play a little.. And would love to see the tires atleast make 50k, wont be doing any burnout's or stupid racing with them, after all it is a TB.. Thanks

These tires are at Treadwright.com as I seen another member on this forum say to go there.. it really is the best place I've went!!! tire rack and discount tire absolutly suck as far as I am concerned... Any suggestions would be great!!
I was also wondering as long as the first number 265 stays the same the speedo won't be affected any, correct?
TrailseekingTB
Cruiser

Name: Jesse Kasinger
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 am

Guard dogs are great but a little loud. I like them. Don't know anyone running the Sentinels, I think Mike has the Wardens on his truck.
I wouldn't hold out too much hope for 50K miles, they are soft rubber and wear faster than normal tires, but still a good deal.

265 is just width of the tire, if you go from 265/65 to 265/75 your speedo will show you going slower than you are.

265= width 70=% of width is height 17 is rim size, any change in these numbers can change speedo, but it doesn't have to. as long as you keep the same outside diameter.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TrailseekingTB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 am

NC_IslandRunner wrote:Guard dogs are great but a little loud. I like them. Don't know anyone running the Sentinels, I think Mike has the Wardens on his truck.
I wouldn't hold out too much hope for 50K miles, they are soft rubber and wear faster than normal tires, but still a good deal.

265 is just width of the tire, if you go from 265/65 to 265/75 your speedo will show you going slower than you are.

265= width 70=% of width is height 17 is rim size, any change in these numbers can change speedo, but it doesn't have to. as long as you keep the same outside diameter.

Alright thanks for the info, I've been told what the tire numbers mean by someone before and I do believe they told me wrong haha thanks for the info.. I hate to ask but how can I figure out if my stock 245/65/17 tires will cause my tires im wanting 265/75/17 will throw off my speedo. I really don't understand that tire calculator thing, but if that's what I need to do I guess I'll fight with it a little.. lol thanks again
TrailseekingTB
Cruiser

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 am

TrailseekingTB wrote:Alright thanks for the info, I've been told what the tire numbers mean by someone before and I do believe they told me wrong haha thanks for the info.. I hate to ask but how can I figure out if my stock 245/65/17 tires will cause my tires im wanting 265/75/17 will throw off my speedo. I really don't understand that tire calculator thing, but if that's what I need to do I guess I'll fight with it a little.. lol thanks again

Switching from the 245/65/17 to the 265/75/17 will make your speedo read 60mph when you are really going 66mph. The slower you are moving the closer it will be and the faster you go the worse it will be. That's going from a 29.5" tall tire to a 32.6" tall tire.
NC_IslandRunner

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:20 am

50k...doubtful.

Your speedo will be off and i dont.think you can correct it like the 06 n newer.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TangoBravo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 am

I use Treadwright exclusively on every 4x4 I have. I just put a set of guard dogs on the TB they replaced a set of pumas after 56k the pumas replaced a set of pumas with 47k, I have a set of howlers on my ranch truck with about 22k and they are doing good they replaced a set of howlers with 42k. I have wardens on my diesel which is my tow rig for feed and moving horses and cattle. I have never been unhappy with the performance of treadwrights products. I live in wyoming and from 85° to -30 in sand, ice, snow, and rocks I haven't had any issues that I wouldn't of had if I spent $1500 on a set of tires. Sometimes balancing can be an issue, and they do tend to be a bit loud on the road but Im not usually on paved roads so its not an issue for me. Hope this helps some
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert

by v7guy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 am

Anytime you put bigger or smaller tires on a vehicle it's going to throw off the speedo. It's a fact of life, it's not going to change. As you travel with a tire that has a smaller or larger diameter it's propelling the vehicle a smaller or larger distance. Those few inches make a big difference.
For example a 28" tire circumference is approximately 88" in circumference and a 32" tire is approximately 101" in circumference.
A 32" tire goes 627 revolutions per mile and the 28" tire turns 720 revolutions per mile.

Those fewer revolutions command the sensor to show a lower speed. Some member have found success using an adapter to intercept the signal from the ecm to the cluster, it's been documented here. The search feature is your friend.

Rory gave you good info on what the tire numbers mean. I would be shocked if you got 50k out of em. Get the ones you like. Treadwright has a really good customer service reputation. There is a large thread here talking about them... again, search is your friend.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by TrailseekingTB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks for all the input It helps a lot.. I am trying to get some tires with decent meat and atleast 50k for under $700-$800.. But I might just settle for the gaurddogs.. v7guy thanks I'm gonna search for that adapter your talking about... Sorry I been having a hard time using search with my iPhone.. Needless to say the phone ceases to exist as of right now its shattered and in a ziplock bag thanks to it not working correctly lol. Now I got my hands on a computer and I'm gonna be searching a lot more before I start a thread. Sorry guys I know I am creating a clutter of stuff already being talked about now.. Thanks for all the help though.. if there is some way I can delete this thread tell me..
TrailseekingTB
Cruiser

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Step 1 - Ditch the iPhone they are crap and everyone I see with one looks like they want to pull out their hair...
NC_IslandRunner

by Cable810 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:12 pm

I got 4 Grabber At2 for $660 shipped to my door.... Just saying
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Cable810 wrote:I got 4 Grabber At2 for $660 shipped to my door.... Just saying

What size and where did you get then? I couldn't find them less than $205 each 285/75/16
NC_IslandRunner

by Cable810 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:33 pm

265 70 17 Discount Tire
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by fishsticks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:44 am

Apples to Oranges. 265/70/17s would be around $520 shipped from TW.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:50 am

Yeah their only like 31.6" tall tires
NC_IslandRunner

by v7guy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 am

NC_IslandRunner wrote:Yeah their only like 31.6" tall tires

and the Treadwrights are oversized at 32.2.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by TrailseekingTB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Cable810 wrote:I got 4 Grabber At2 for $660 shipped to my door.... Just saying

I like those more.... How are you liking these tires?
TrailseekingTB
Cruiser

by TrailseekingTB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 pm

I have searched** couldnt find anything about it.. But i know I can buy aftermarket dash gauge cluster and I was wondering can't we just pull the needles off our speedo while driving a speed with a gps and set the needle back on the spline in the right location??? I've done this in my expedition once since it has over sized tires and it worked out nice..
TrailseekingTB
Cruiser

by Conner299 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Why go through all that trouble with the instrument cluster, when you can just ignore the speedo, and only pay attention to the GPS? I have the Torque Pro app for android, and I keep a gauge for wheel speed from the sensor, and wheel speed from GPS next to each other. My tires arent large enough to throw the readings off at all, yet. But I also read a lot of others gauges on it, and rarely look at the instrument cluster anymore.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005

by NC_IslandRunner » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Your speed will not be off by a set amount, it is a percentage, it may olny be off by 3 while going 35, but would be off by 6 at 60. The faster you go the more it is off. For me if the Speedo reads 54 I'm going 60 but at 35 I'm really going 38.
NC_IslandRunner

by TrailseekingTB » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks NC_IslandRunner, and Connor299.. I guess with that being said I'll just go off of Gps speed, and I guess after a little time I'll get to knowing how much off the speed will be and I will know what it's actually doing. Thanks
TrailseekingTB
Cruiser

Next

Return to Wheels / Tires