Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Wrangler MT/R vs Mud-Terrain T/A KM2

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by staticfusion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:57 am

staticfusion

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Philberto » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 am

What kind of trails? You need to be much, MUCH more specific about your needs and budget before we can even begin to help you on this issue.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by staticfusion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:01 am

jsut getting and idea, no budget set atm...
and as for trails, ranging from dirt roads all the way to rocky jeep trails and river crossings, and muddy terrain
staticfusion

Vehicle Year: 2002

by Philberto » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:04 am

BFG's are tried and true, though you might also want to look at the Firestone Destination M/Ts. How important is on-road driving to you, what percentage of mud/dirt/sand are you planning on encountering? Where are you going to be offroading in the US anyways?
Philberto
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:56 am

I have ran them both, plus dayton mt, firestone mt, mud brutes, 3 or 4 kinds of swampers, and now I have the Pro Comp Xtreme MT and they are easily the best of them all for overall driving and offroad. Tough w triply sidewalls. Heck they ride better than most all terrain on the road and are quieter than the other mud terrains. I will say a swamper in the sticky mud would clean out better, but they are horrible in the rain and I had to sets shred sections of tread when hot and another blow the sidewall out at 5000 miles, so I would only buy swampers for true offroad use.

Not cheap, but the pro comps surprised me and if you look around, they do buy 3 get one free alot.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by foosh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:27 am

I don't have experience with the pro comps, but hear they are an awesome tire...

If its between those two, I realy like the KM2's. They're used on hardcore riggs that I've seen on rock crawler jeeps, and small mudder trucks because they are basically padle wheels. My last set of tires I owned were these in a 31 and I recently sold them to another member. I went offroading with him, and he made it right through places I got hungup. Most likely my next Tire will be a biggier beefier set. I also ran them at TEcOrE and they held up quite well in rocks, and provided awesome traction in the dirt.
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004

by irishboy02 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 pm

foosh wrote:I don't have experience with the pro comps, but hear they are an awesome tire...

If its between those two, I realy like the KM2's. They're used on hardcore riggs that I've seen on rock crawler jeeps, and small mudder trucks because they are basically padle wheels. My last set of tires I owned were these in a 31 and I recently sold them to another member. I went offroading with him, and he made it right through places I got hungup. Most likely my next Tire will be a biggier beefier set. I also ran them at TEcOrE and they held up quite well in rocks, and provided awesome traction in the dirt.

:Iagree:

Sold them to me...absolutley LOVE the KM2, by far the quietest mud terrain i have ever ridden on/in and a jeep place near me agreed with a "wow thats a perfect tire for that truck"

Base it on where you wheel and what type of terrain youl be seeing. Id say start on craigslist and buy something cheap before you sit and drop $600 on tires that your not going to like. Also depending on your size dont forget spacers cause of lovely GM engineering with our balljoints :shoot:
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005

by dirtychevymama » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:58 pm

Wrangler MT/R is what I just got put on....I am no tire expert that's for sure but they did pretty dang good in the woods yesterday. Use 4x4 once, through the creek. The mud cleans itself out of them REALLY well, before we hit pavement. IMO they don't have much road noise. I did take a glance at the Destinations & they are awesome! If I wouldn't of went with the Wranglers I would of definitly went with the Destinations. Then again that's just MO....
dirtychevymama
Off-Roader

Vehicle Year: 2003

by foosh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 pm

We really need one huge offroad meet in the center of all of this to determine which tires are flat out the best! Me and brendan like the bfg's cause thats what we've had, every tire i've had on the tb has been a bfg and they're all bee awesome! Then again DCM those tires are good too! I just think my KM's pulled me thru mud that alot of 33's woulda stuck in.

In this photo are the 31's not aired down at 50 or 60 psi. the only limiting factor with that mud was how low my stock height tb was (no lift). And the mud on the side wasn't kicked up, that was the depth of the pit!
Attachments
Deep Pit.jpg
(88.84 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

by The Roadie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:36 pm

4 Wheeler magazine just did a review of four kinds of tires. You are all getting the magazines, aren't you?
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Philberto » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:38 pm

The Roadie wrote:4 Wheeler magazine just did a review of four kinds of tires. You are all getting the magazines, aren't you?

Never home enough to read them... Now if they all had e-zines, I'd be all over that.
Philberto
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:10 am

The Roadie wrote:4 Wheeler magazine just did a review of four kinds of tires. You are all getting the magazines, aren't you?

I get them all and it appears that the Interco won because it is new. Nothing really outstanding abou ti and with the history of their tires that I have witnessed and experienced, I would not own them it I ever planned on driving on pavement.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Zero » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:59 pm

i have the mt/r tires as well. they r wearing great. ballance great. and dont have much road noise. i took them to a huge granite quary with 4 passengers and they did great. i think i had them around 55psi or so.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

Return to Wheels / Tires