Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

question on backspacing and adapters

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by 05ls_soldier » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:10 am

so, after a long day of browsing the internet, i think i came across the wheel that i want to get, the question is, it is a 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing, is that going to be too much with a 1.5" wheel adapter to a 6x5.5 lug patern? tire size im looking at is 285-70r/17, with the bds kit, z71 rear and markmc 1/2" shim, also the bds body lift.

any advice would be amazing! this backspacing/offset thing confuses me!
Save the gold, I'm investing in lead!
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

Name: Nate
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 2WD

by The Roadie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:03 am

I also had to go with 4.5" backspacing. 6" would be preferable, but that's more of a FWD backspacing, and nobody's normally aiming a FWD car to go far offroad. The GMT360 design used the immense backspacing to tuck the tires in for a narrow track and tight turning radius, but the aftermarket companies aren't giving us anything similar in 6X5.5".

So you end up with fantastic clearance to the upper ball joint you don't want, more stress on the hub/bearing and tie rods, and tires sticking way out that you need Flexiflares to cover to be legal in many states. I have them on the front here. Teebes has them front and rear.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by 05ls_soldier » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:15 am

thanks, so i will deff. not have any ball joint issues (clearance wise), do you think to save wheel, bearing problems i should stick to stock wheels, or even go with the pro-comp*** wheel 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing in a 6X5 bolt patern? would i even need the spacers with that backspacing?

***found http://www.4wheelparts.com/wtProdDetail ... 56&step=2b

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

by The Roadie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:56 am

I used stock wheels with spacers for Roadiemobile Rev 2. Still stressed the bearings. Just budget for it. You might need to change them every 50K instead of 100K.

My mantra is: "If your mission (trails, aggressiveness, buddies to wheel with) supports the need - get whatever you have to get to accomplish it." Maintenance is a side effect, not a driver of what to choose.

That said, I think some OS members have used that wheel with narrow tires without spacers. There are a couple of tire/suspension threads over there to look through. Do you need the links, or have you found them already to get ideas?
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by 05ls_soldier » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:28 pm

yea, i figure ill end up having to replace them anyways. i do like the wheel though! and yea i got the links, thanks though!

MY BUILD THREAD
05ls_soldier

Return to Wheels / Tires