Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Reduced Size Spare

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Jon A » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Here's a new one for you guys. I've been up in the air lately about what to do about a spare tire as I really don't like the loss of ground clearance of the stock tire hanging underneath. Eventually I plan to do a custom rear bumper with a swing out carrier but that isn't happening for a while.

While I could throw a full sized spare on a rear hitch carrier or in the roof rack if I go on some pure offroading trip, any way of carrying one for daily use or for hunting or shooting trips where the roof rack is loaded with all my stuff and I'm in and out of the back hatch a bunch all day is going to be a PITA. For something I hopefully won't need to use (haven't needed to use the spare in nearly 10 years so far) I don't feel it justifies being such a PITA on a daily basis.

The sensible thing for me is to stick with a spare in the stock location. But I figured I might be able to improve upon it a bit so it didn't ruin so much ground clearance. So I came up with this compromise.

I selected this tire because it's one of the few available in that size and it has some decent offroad tread. It's about an inch shorter than stock but more importantly it is 2 inches "skinnier."

This helps it tuck up noticeably better underneath the vehicle:

The pics don't quite do justice to how big the difference is. Sure, it looks a lot better with nothing there at all but this gets the entire thing above the rear axle so it won't drag in deep snow or mud and makes the rear hitch the clear limiting factor of departure angle. It's obviously still a compromise but it makes the spare a likely non-factor for all offroading but the most extreme rock crawling while being out of the way for daily use.

I'll use it as a "donut," mounting it on the front in 2WD and driving pretty darn slowly on any pavement, but I'd do that with the stock one anyway as it's now enough smaller than my 33's that would be prudent. However, compared with a donut this is a real tire and compared to the stock spare this thing actually has some tread that might do OK in an offroad situation.

Anyway, I figured I'd throw this one out there for anybody else who may be interested. I know I can't be the only one who doesn't like the stock spare hanging down but doesn't want to carry around a full size somewhere else 24/7.
Jon A

Name: Jon Aadland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by DmccartneyFF2TB » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:50 pm

That is deffnetly interesting. I had to cut my spare tire out so i dont have the hanger or any of that under there. :shoot: New England road salt awsome stuff.
Dame
BDS,ROUGH COUNTRY,
Smitty Build XR-C8 Winch
33" Procomp M/T X MARK SPACERS.
Only Blue lifted 2002 Trailblazer in WMASS.
www.wm4x4.com
DmccartneyFF2TB
Trail-Blazer

Name: Damian
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Opeth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Thats a pretty nifty idea...
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006

by El Jefe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:33 am

Have you had to use this smaller spare? If you have, any feedback/advice?
El Jefe
Cruiser

Name: Jeff
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Shdwdrgn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:20 am

Wow that's a great idea! I run 265/70-16's, so my spare is only *barely* above the axle bell. I played with a tire calculator and came up with a 215/85-16 which is less than 1/4" difference in diameter, but like yours is a full 2" narrower than my current spare. Now I need to check with my tire shop and see if they happen to have any used ones laying around.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004

by VelociJuris » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 am

I like it!
VelociJuris
Cruiser

Name: Matthew
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Shdwdrgn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 am

I forgot to post back that I did indeed find one of those tires to run as a spare. I had to search all over town, and finally found a place that carried used truck tires. Here's my comparison pics...

265/70-16

215/85-16

Quite a difference! I've even noticed that other stock TBs around town look like their spare is hanging too low now. One of these days when it warms up, I need to actually throw that spare on my truck and drive around with it, make sure there's no unforeseen problems.
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004

Return to Wheels / Tires