Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

TreadWright Guard Dog MT's

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by tbangert » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:02 am

So I picked up a set of 265/75-16 Gaurd Dog MT's this past week and had them mounted last night. Being like a little kid after Christmas morning I had to go try them out. Typical driving on the road I was impressed at how "quiet" these were for a mud terrain, definately has the hum of a deep lug tire. Windows up and radio at normal level you can barely hear them. After a little "mall cruising" I hit up an easy local trail with some mud and a few small yet steep hill climbs. Through mud they had excellent traction, no spinning at all. But that wasn't enough for me, I wanted to really see how much bite they had, so I looked at a few hills that my stock tires were incapable of doing. So I locked the ol girl up in 4lo to see how it would do, and to my surprise they dug in and up I went with zero trouble.

It is true that tires can make or break a setup. Although this isn't enough of a test to say "Hey guys these things are flippin awsome yo!" so I'm about to head out to hit up a local trail that a stock vehicle cannot do. According to the trail rating guide, I'd say it was a 2-2.5 rated trail, I'll know better once I run it.

Pictures will follow! :excited:
MarcMC - Bilstien - BDS - WheelAdapters - Treadwright - K&N - Gibson - Hayden - Zone
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by tbangert » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Just got back in from testing these tires on just about every type of terrain I can here in Maine and they performed quite well. Since it had rained heavy last night there was some mud and the rock faces I hit up first were a bit slick being covered in moss and all. Picked a line over the first rock face and up it went, some slight slippage but no problems getting to the top. Also hit up a trail that consisted of an uphill climb of loose rocks again no issues. These tires bite most terrain quite nicely and am quite impressed.
DSC_4048se.jpg
(224.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Attachments
DSC_4022se.jpg
(223.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MarcMC - Bilstien - BDS - WheelAdapters - Treadwright - K&N - Gibson - Hayden - Zone
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

by irishboy02 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Nice! Looks great. Good for you, now get it dirrtier!
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan

by MrSmithsTB » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:01 am

Glad these tires have been getting good reviews lately. I'm excited to help the earth and save money.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Zero » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:31 am

I love reading more and more good reviews about this company. I dont want to spend $250+ per tire for the goodyear MTR's. Id really like to grab another set of wheels, keep a set of MT's on one, and a nice All terain on the other for the city. I have my own air tools at home so changing them my self for a weekend trip would be easy. And keeping the MT tires off the concrete will make them last tons longer! and who doesnt want that? hahaha. At the price of these tires I can almost afford to run 2 sets, since I have a set of MT's already.
Zero
Veteran

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by tbangert » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:08 am

The thing that I'm just utterly shocked about is the fact these tires aren't rubbing much at all. The only time they rub is wheel turned left and backing up and thats it. I've been trying to get them to rub but wont. So yeah, each truck is a bit different.
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

by Trail X » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:12 am

Glad they're working out for you. :fro:

Keep us notified of tread wear. That'd be my biggest worry.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by johnburgelin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:18 am

Those are the exact set of tires I was looking at getting. Which load rating did you get? I've also been thinking about getting the 285/75-16's, just cause my subconscious keeps telling me bigger is better. :flex dirty:
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003

by gotspeed1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:57 pm

I too have these tires and am thoroughly impressed. What mods are you running (*cough* BUILD THREAD *cough* :poke: )? I'm running 265/75/16 and 2.5" lift and there are rubbing like crazy in the front!! I haven't really noticed much as far as premature wear. I do a lot of highway driving and have between 7-10k on them now. Haven't got them into any good mud yet, but I know they'll get through the New Mexico sand and dirt very well. My Colorado rock/ dirt test will be soon to come. :flex dirty:
3...2...1....FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!
gotspeed1
Trail-Blazer

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Zero » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:48 pm

You have rubbing issues with a 32" tire and 2.5" of lift? If i got your tire size wrong let me know. But I have 32" with 2" lift and never rubbed once...and roadie put my truck to the test during our Borrega trip. Its funny to see how different one tire can be from the next.
Zero
Veteran

by MrSmithsTB » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 am

2002 Tb? I'm willing to bet that ball joint wear comes into play with the rubbing. Regardless, I'm have heard excellent reviews on these tires. Not only from you, but also some of the guys on FjBruisers run these and have no complaints.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by irishboy02 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:02 am

As Mrsmithtb has stated in the past, tire size is not the only factor in rubbing issues. The rims BS also plays an effect as well as the tire width. A wider tire is more apt to rub on turns than a narrow one.

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
irishboy02
Addict

by Zero » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:37 am

irishboy02 wrote:As Mrsmithtb has stated in the past, tire size is not the only factor in rubbing issues. The rims BS also plays an effect as well as the tire width. A wider tire is more apt to rub on turns than a narrow one.

Ya, I am well aware of all that :roll: . Tires and lift isnt anything new to me....... But still, its very odd to hear someone rubbing with 32''s and lift. My tires are as wide as his, and I have less lift. so respectively with your logic I should have rubbing. On a side note, my tires brand new have one of the deepest treads available and I have never had rubbing. On the manf. site they are a real 31.9 tires, where other tires that are 265/70/17 are rated closer to 31.8 or less at times.

Rim back spacing will not affect wheel rub in the wheel well when the tire travels up and down. It will only affect rubbing of the ball joint by moving the tire away from it.
If he is running into problems by rubbing when turning then back spacing or lift wont solve that. Trimming will. Unless you put on something mad like a 10'' spacer on your hub that effectively moves the wheel and tire outside of the wheel well. But we all know, no good can come from that hahaha.

Id really like more info on this guys suspension. Try and figure out whats gone wrong.
Zero
Veteran

by irishboy02 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 am

Nothing has gone "wrong", just different. No two trucks are alike incase you havnt figured that one out by now. Not to mention that your an ext and hes not. Also, your on an 8" wide and hes still on the stock 7 wide, yes, this makes a difference.

I rubbed with my 31s when i bought them off foosh. They didnt rub for him, he just barely has 33s rubbing. Go figure.

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
irishboy02
Addict

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:04 am

Zero wrote: Rim back spacing will not affect wheel rub in the wheel well when the tire travels up and down. It will only affect rubbing of the ball joint by moving the tire away from it.
If he is running into problems by rubbing when turning then back spacing or lift wont solve that. Trimming will. Unless you put on something mad like a 10'' spacer on your hub that effectively moves the wheel and tire outside of the wheel well. But we all know, no good can come from that hahaha.

Id really like more info on this guys suspension. Try and figure out whats gone wrong.

Rim backspacing ffects far more than just the rubbing of the ball joint. It will GREATLY affect wheel rub at the wheel well when turning and can create completely different points of rubbing as well. With the multiple wheel and tires set-ups I have run, the wheels rubbing from up and down travel has never been an issue, but front and rear rubbing, firewall rubbing, and ball joint clearance are effected by backspacing.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by Trail X » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:26 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Rim backspacing ffects far more than just the rubbing of the ball joint. It will GREATLY affect wheel rub at the wheel well when turning and can create completely different points of rubbing as well. With the multiple wheel and tires set-ups I have run, the wheels rubbing from up and down travel has never been an issue, but front and rear rubbing, firewall rubbing, and ball joint clearance are effected by backspacing.

If you want to be technical... that's front-spacing that affects fender rubbing when in a turn. However, front-spacing is affected by back-spacing and rim width. :raspberry:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by MrSmithsTB » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:07 am

:friday: Everyone is beautiful.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by johnburgelin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:53 pm

Oh I'm definitely getting out the skil saw and some masking tape if I order the 285's. I know hardtrailz has some ridiculous 305's or 315's what are the rest of you running? 265's? How many have 285's? (i'm speaking of mud tires mostly here.

Yes I realize this seems to be a :hijack: but I would like to hear more about Treadwright and everyone's cheers, or jeers. Cause I'm probably buying tires from them in the very near future
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003

by tbangert » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:12 pm

I ordered the load range D's and I was waiting a bit to do a build thread until I had my rig setup to an acceptable point. Treadwright has it posted on their site that the 265/75-16 measures just about a 32.2" tire (most likely because of being a retread) The guard dogs also like to pick up rocks and throw them at unexpected times driving down the road. I had one smack my exhaust tip pretty hard yesterday, and a few slam into the plastic fender liners.
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

by SteveTB03 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:56 pm

johnburgelin wrote:Oh I'm definitely getting out the skil saw and some masking tape if I order the 285's. I know hardtrailz has some ridiculous 305's or 315's what are the rest of you running? 265's? How many have 285's?

I'm running LT285/75R16 Pro Comp X-Terrains on stock rim and 2.5" lift up front and 2" bds rear and Z71 springs and I barely have rubbing except for when I popped my front liners last week other than that I have no rubbing.

And my tires from the factory are a 33.1" tire IIRC
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

Next

Return to Wheels / Tires