Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Wal-terrains?

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Philberto » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:39 pm

I see that because of the potential for things to be done incorrectly (ie too much tire lube causes the beads to stick to it) and the complexity (beads need to be poured through an applicator and then a filtered valve core needs to be installed. In addition, dynamic balancing only really applies in cases of knobby offroad tires (where mud, rocks, or unbalanced wear can affect balancing midway through a tire's lifecycle) and commercial big rig tires. It's much easier for a dealer to slap on or clamp on some weights than it is to deal with the beads. That, and I think it's not gotten the publicity treatment because the concepts don't explain as well to the general public.

-edit: and the beads are much more expensive than weights... and they provide a benefit that many do not need.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:58 pm

:Iagree: Also coupled with the liability of parts that are not guaranteed by the tire manufacturer to work in conjunction with their product. Just like with wheel adapters. You can't generally buy them from a third party, because they will not guarantee the product. Some shops won't even install them. When I had my tires mounted, the installer even needed convincing to hit my adapters with the impact wrench to torque them a little more. Too many horror stories from people getting those $25 spacers from Pep Boys and having the wheel fly off on the highway.

And btw, If you are still looking for inexpensive M/Ts, let me share with you a great deal. I am going to get new tires before the end of the year, and I think this may be the best deal I've found. Excellent ratings and really easy on the bank account. Federal Couragia M/T.
http://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/federal/285%252F75-16+federal+couragia+mt+n%252Fa+d.html
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Wow great price. What do we know about these tires. I've heard of the manufacturer but never used or heard anyone using their products.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Philberto » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:15 pm

^^^

I saw those on there the other day... too bad I already got my tires, because those look badass!
Philberto
Lifer

by MrSmithsTB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:43 pm

They do look badass. I've found quite a few reviews and even a vid or two. Jeeps seem to like em. I watched one get out of some good mud and a Hummer blast through a pit.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by That1Guy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:53 pm

those tires do look good but I dont se them in 245 75 16
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

Previously known as NickNorie
That1Guy
Addict

Name: Nick
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ G80

by MrSmithsTB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Well, lets get back to that original budget......$900.

You can get as set of four to your door for @$600. size 265/75/16(32")
Throw in a set of the Ebay wheel adapters @ $150 to your door.
Add mount/balance @ $50. There you go for $100 less than you planned and you are running a larger diameter and a larger footprint. Seems like the way to go if it was me.

Where are you located? They offer free pickup at their warehouse, located in SoCal just outside of LA. That would get you the tires for under $500 for that size :drool:

16201 Commerce Way,
Cerritos CA 90703
USA
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by That1Guy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:41 pm

MrSmithsTB wrote:Well, lets get back to that original budget......$900.

Add mount/balance @ $50. There you go for $100 less than you planned and you are running a larger diameter and a larger footprint. Seems like the way to go if it was me.

Where are you located? They offer free pickup at their warehouse, located in SoCal just outside of LA. That would get you the tires for under $500 for that size :drool:

16201 Commerce Way,
Cerritos CA 90703
USA

im in SanDiego and i might think about going this route!! Thanks
04 T.B. with McMeister lift, airraid CAI, flowmaster 40 series, Bridgestone Dueler apt 4's, and a G-80!

That1Guy
Addict

by Philberto » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:10 pm

If you do, say hi to the guys in the office... They're very friendly, and some of the most overworked people I know.
Philberto
Lifer

by That1Guy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Philberto wrote:If you do, say hi to the guys in the office... They're very friendly, and some of the most overworked people I know.

I definately will!! I might just have them ship two for now... I dont have the money to go pick them up :(

That1Guy
Addict

by That1Guy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:45 pm

MrSmithsTB wrote:Well, lets get back to that original budget......$900.

16201 Commerce Way,
Cerritos CA 90703
USA

Also forgot!! I need to keep Gas mileage in mind as I deliver pizza for a job!

That1Guy
Addict

by MrSmithsTB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:33 pm

Maybe you should consider a new line of work before you try and make you TB offroad worthy. :scratch: Or buy a beater car to deliver in.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by Philberto » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:37 pm

Hold on.... I think we've had this discussion before.... on the OS.... yep... definitely had this discussion before.
Philberto
Lifer

by The Roadie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:37 pm

With me along for safety, your current tires can do 90% of Borrego's trails, and 95% of Big Bear's. Since you spend 50 times as many hours at work than on the trails, you might want to save the money for gas to actually take a trail ride, rather than perpetually get ready for a trail ride. Don't you have a ticket to pay off, too? :happy whip:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by MrSmithsTB » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:44 pm

The Roadie wrote:With me along for safety, your current tires can do 90% of Borrego's trails, and 95% of Big Bear's. Since you spend 50 times as many hours at work than on the trails, you might want to save the money for gas to actually take a trail ride, rather than perpetually get ready for a trail ride. Don't you have a ticket to pay off, too? :happy whip:

:Iagree: and if you not want but NEED tires, A replacement set of All Terrains won't leave you any worse for the wear on trails, won't tank your mileage, will open your options, and will be a little easier on the bank account.

Search that site and I'm sure you can find something. Look at page 2 under your current size specs.

245/75-16 Hankook DynaPro AT RF10 109T. Bobbyblaze runs these and he ran with us at Wharton a couple of months ago and he will be attending tomorrow. He was also at TECORE 2 and believe he held his own rather well. $89 bucks a tire is only $360 if you were to go pick them up. If you can at all stand to wait, throw some money away week by week until you can get em. :cheers:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by That1Guy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:17 am

The Roadie wrote:With me along for safety, your current tires can do 90% of Borrego's trails, and 95% of Big Bear's. Since you spend 50 times as many hours at work than on the trails, you might want to save the money for gas to actually take a trail ride, rather than perpetually get ready for a trail ride. Don't you have a ticket to pay off, too? :happy whip:

Haha no I NEED not want right now... No matter what im going to get atleast an agressive all terrain. and im not trying to make this thing trailworthy right now, im just trying to get some new tires that I wont have to question in the snow or for daily driving. When there is snow in the local mountains I go atleast once a week! And i dont have to worry about the ticket until January which is when my court date is

That1Guy
Addict

by MrSmithsTB » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:01 am

NickNorie wrote:

Haha no I NEED not want right now... No matter what im going to get atleast an agressive all terrain. and im not trying to make this thing trailworthy right now, im just trying to get some new tires that I wont have to question in the snow or for daily driving. When there is snow in the local mountains I go atleast once a week! And i dont have to worry about the ticket until January which is when my court date is

Then go for the Hancooks in my last post. You will not regret them and you cannot beat that price/ quality.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

by foosh » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:56 am

I've heard from others those tires are good, especially on rocks and stuff like that... Plus as Bot said, they're dirt cheap!
Only White Lifted TB in Jerzey on 33's :safari:

:flex dirty: Pine Barrens Wheelin!
Build Thread http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=113
foosh
Addict

Vehicle Year: 2004

by Philberto » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:58 am

Agreed. Hankook is a little-known but dependable brand.
Philberto
Lifer

by That1Guy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:43 am

So im selling my trailer tommorow, gonna use the money for some spacers/tires. I feel really retarded as my intraweb skills suck. but can someone post an ebay link to the spacers I need?? Keeping the same lug pattern

That1Guy
Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels / Tires