Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

FINAL WORD ON FENDER FLARES?

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by larryk » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:34 am

Guys.....looking to get a set of flares for my EXT... Always like the Bushwacker pocket flares, but I did see where they killed the idea of a group buy/producing them (GRRRR).

So what's the word on people who have adapted them from other models to the TB platform? I see where some people say late 90's Grand Cherokee, a lib///y, or a Silverado (40937-02)? What have we difinitively found that works. I dont mind trimming them a bit where it wont show as much, but I want something that generally follows the body lines without looking like it was twisted into place by some crazed lunatic (yes, I am close to that...but still)

Thanks!
larryk
Off-Roader

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by larryk » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:26 am

Nothing?
larryk
Off-Roader

by Diacom » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:07 pm

Nothing here, You're better off checking on the FaceBook page.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by AlekG » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:51 am

Sorry I didn't see this question earlier, I am just starting to get back active on the board after a looooooong absence.

With my wheel/tire set up sticking out quite a bit I also wanted to get some extra coverage with fender flares. But I ran into the same problem where nobody made flares with substantial coverage so I ended up going with what was the only available product which was ATS C795-611. These provided minimal additional coverage, basically the same as with some special Trailblazer models that came with flares from the factory. They may have even been the supplier to GM at the time, I don't know. Here is what my setup looked like at the time:

Image Image

Unfortunately I cannot find any reference to ATS on the Internet. Did they go out of business? But if you can do some extra digging and find out what the status is of this product, I have a second part to the solution.

Many years later I happened to come across a product that peaked my interest as a possible addition to the ATS flares - Flexy Flares from Pacer Performance. Particularly their product number 52-118 which gives 2.5 inches of extra coverage.

Here's the product page on SummitRacing

The problem was always going to be the flare on the rear door. In fact, on the ATS flares, mostly everywhere they are somehow attached to the sheet metal from the wheel well side (forget exactly how, I think there are stock holes that they take advantage of). And then they use double sided tape against the body to make them even more sturdy. But on the rear door, they only use double sided tape because there is no surface area on the wheel well facing lip on the door. Take a look, you will see what I mean right away, there's only a thin edge there.

So with the Flexy Flares, how could that work? Well, I found that I could attach them into the ATS flares themselves! The ATS flares are solid enough to accept the screws provided (except I swapped them out for stainless steel) as long as you don't drill them too close the outer side of the ATS flares - it can bulge the flares out which doesn't look too good.

I am going to my storage where the Trailblazer is parked later this week and I will take some pictures of what the whole thing looks like with the Flexy Flares addition.

Hope this can help you out somehow.

|| Documenting and sharing overland travels ||
|| adventures and expeditions ||
|| Trailblazer modifications ||
AlekG
Off-Roader

Name: Alek
Vehicle Year: 2006

by AlekG » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:16 pm

OK, here are some pictures of the Flexy Flares attached to the ATS fender flares. BTW, I found a link to ATS but it doesn't look good as all they have is a placeholder page at their site: http://atsdesign.com/

I didn't have time to pull the Trailblazer out of the storage space but I tried to get a decent picture of the front, rear, and from the back to give you an idea of what can be done.

Image Image Image

AlekG
Off-Roader

by larryk » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:37 am

Many thanks Alek...very helpful! I do like the way you stacked the flares to get better coverage. So say 1/2" on the ATS and 2.5 on the Flexy Flares, and you are at 3". Nice! I have an EXT, so that back door thing isnt an issue for me (although the long wheelbase isnt ideal). I was in the boneyard this weekend measuring different trucks wheelwells to see if I could find a set that was close. I pulled a set of factory flares off a Colorado and tried them on a Trailblazer there, and they seemed close. I was hoping to find some pocket flares...like Bushwacker...that were at least close enough to cut as needed and make work. Then again, at almost $500 a set, if they dont work...that's going to hurt. I might just try the Flexy ones you linked to, and see how they work. BTW, looks like there is a metal wire in the outer rim of them? Where you cut by the back wheelwell, is it rusting?

Thanks again!
larryk
Off-Roader

by AlekG » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:29 am

Glad to help out.

I did get the Flexy Flares version with the metal wire to stiffen up the flares around curves. But yes, the wire is rusting in a couple of places as I don't think its even galvanized. I tried putting some silicon in there but it looks like it didn't stick.

I will need to clean the area up and then paint the ends of the wire with heavy duty black anti-rust paint. I used to be able to slide the wire out a bit by pushing on the other end, hopefully I can get it out enough to paint it.

Good luck on your project!

AlekG
Off-Roader

Return to Off Road Discussion