Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Completed: Lost Creek/Davis Lake - BC, Canada

Post a future trail ride or document a completed trip. Let us join in on your adventure!
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article found below.

by BC backroader » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:43 pm

Tuesday afternoon, Mar 8th, I had about 4 hours free time before sunset, so I took the opportunity to head for a local logging road to try out my new tires. The Lost Creek/Davis Lake FSR is about 30 min. from my home via Hwy 11 and Hwy 7, then 10 km N on Sylvester Rd., a nice curvy 2 lane asphalt along the base of the mountains. Once at the FSR, you're immediately on hard packed gravel, with lots of washboard and puddles, due to our very wet weather the last few months. At the 10 km mark, the road is not in a current logging area, so not maintained at all, and becomes much rougher, with washouts and brush grown in to narrow the track to just barely one lane. I drove another 15 km, to the point where a creek had cut through the trail to a depth of about 6 ft, with vertical banks, before turning around for the trip back out. The entire trip was done in 2 wheel drive, except for 1 deep creek washout that required a right angle turn in the middle to climb out the far side, where I lost traction at low speed. On the return run through here I was able to get across in 2wd, by going just a little bit faster

It felt great to get out there, after weeks of rain, and get some fresh forest air and mountain scenery. I was the only vehicle on the trail, until I got back to the better section of the road at km 10, where I came across a '90s Jeep Cherokee, stopped with the hood up, and 2 young guys trying to get it to fire up, with no success. It had stalled out while bouncing along on the washboard, and they couldn't find the cause. I offered a ride back to pavement, where 1 of them could make a call when cel reception could be reached. The owner accepted the offer, and was able to call a buddy with a tow truck to come out and rescue the Jeep. I then ran him back to the truck to wait for the tow, and once again turned around for home. The young Jeep driver was quite impressed with the ride and power of my TB EXT on te rough road, as well as the fact that it didn't stall out like his had, of course. ;-) I may have won over a GMT 360/370 convert, as well as an offer to buy me dinner this weekend. All in all, an interesting little trail run.
Attachments
Mar8 road trip 016.jpg
water damage to trail
Mar8 road trip 014.jpg
small washout
Mar8 road trip 006.jpg
narrow road
Mar8 road trip 009.jpg
wide section of the creel valley
Mar8 road trip 020.jpg
Davis Lake
Mar8 road trip 003.jpg
rocky section of trail
Mar8 road trip 013.jpg
small creek washout
Last edited by BC backroader on Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5844
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brad
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by DirtyBacon04 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:50 pm

wow! That pic of Davis Lake is spectacular!! Looks like great country you got there! I can't wait to get back west!
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by BC backroader » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:08 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:wow! That pic of Davis Lake is spectacular!! Looks like great country you got there! I can't wait to get back west!

Thanks, I sure like it here. :thumright:

Just for you, here's another shot of the lake, which is just 50 yards down a rough ATV trail off the road: the one in the OP is looking west, with the setting sun hidden in the approaching storm clouds, this one is looking south.
Attachments
Mar8 road trip 017.jpg
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:03 pm

how cold is that water? I wanna take a dip in it!
You haven't run into Les Stroud in you big foot hunt out there, have you?
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by BC backroader » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Right now, that water probably isn't much warmer than 40F, so it would be a Polar Bear dip!

Haven't run into Les Stroud out here, though he did a couple of episodes in BC. I did get to meet Bob Gimlin, one of the 2 cowboys who got the famous footage in Cal. on Oct 20, '67, widely known as the Patterson/Gimlin Film, or PGF for short.

Last Spring, I met Cliff Barackman and Matt Moneymaker, from "Finding Bigfoot", when they were here to tape the BC half of the season six first episode. I was recorded during the "Townhall Meeting" portion of the show, but got edited out, so didn't get my 15 minutes of fame on TV. I did get to have dinner and drinks with them, and the production crew, at a local Pub appropriately called the Sasquatch Inn.
BC backroader
Trail-Blazer

Return to Trail Rides / Trips