Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Ride Stiffening With Minimal Lift (or Drop)?

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by l008com » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:53 am

I've already got a thread going on one of the other forums, but I figured I'd start one here since an off-road centric forum is essentially all about lifts... :fro:

I have a short wheelbase LT with a 5.3 V8. I already put in bilstein HD shocks and new AT tires. Both upgrades made a big difference, but the truck still have very boat-like suspension. The tires are 275/60R17s, which is pretty big. I believe its a 30 x 10.8, give or take. They fit without rubbing but just barely. But barely counts :D

So I really want to stiffen up the suspension. I'm going to replace the swaybar bushings and links, and possibly replace the rear swaybar entirely with a stiffer one (depending on funds when I do this project). But the sway isn't that much of an issue, its really the soft springs. Imagine a vehicle with no shocks at all, hitting a bump on the highway. That's what mine feels like, the springs are just so soft. And all that v8 torque doesn't help, that power just pushes the body around even more.

But I've googled a ton and asked on other forums, and it looks like there aren't any stiffer spring options that don't change ride height. I don't want to lift and I don't want to lower, but those seem like the only options. They say SS springs in the front are pretty stiff, but they lower the front. Even if I went that route, theres still the rear. I would also assume that EXT springs are stiffer than regular springs too, which could also be an option I suppose? I've also read that moog oem springs are stiffer, but kinda anecdotally. I'm trying to come up with a plan but it's so hard to find info on this specific topic, that nothing seems to be coming together. Hannibal Smith would not be happy.
Build Thread: '08 SWB V8 LT
l008com
Cruiser

Name: JM
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:18 am

Check out the chart in this thread, you not gonna see huge lift unless you have the softest spring on the left and went with 89, besides it would more or less just level out the truck.

Factory Spring Part Numbers & Associated Lift

viewtopic.php?t=158
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by l008com » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:04 am

Reading that thread now, but my RPO codes are not listed, and the site they keep referencing to check my codes, makes you pay to look up codes. It's a 7 year old thread so the site probably changed. I'll have to read through all 15 pages and see if anyone has the same codes as me.
l008com
Cruiser

by navigator » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:24 am

If you recall from the chart in the thread Robert posted the spring part numbers end in something like 81-89. 81 is the softest and 89 the stiffest.

I think most guys here with the I6 find they have about an 83 equivalent spring. You have a v8, unsure if that means you get a stiffer spring or not. Like Robert said, the 89 will likely just level you up. If you search on this site, there is a thread for Moog replacement springs. They are about the same spring rate as an 86 which may be a little stiffer but come in different lengths. You might have success in getting one the same length as our stock springs.

You might also be where you need to by getting an 88 or 89 and cutting it down some. I'm not advocating it but it has been done before.

Z71 Tahoe springs for the rear are stiffer but also provide an inch or so of lift.
Airbags in the rear might stiffen things up.....

Another option is I expect springs from the performance line like the SS (possibly the 9-7x) may be a little stiffer though they may lower you some.

This isn't really our area as most here want to get taller!
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:55 pm

My V8 truck had 83's also, FWIW.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 am

My V8 SWB also had 83 springs.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by l008com » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:21 pm

So that thread has lots of info of all the different front spring options, but it doesn't talk about rears at all. Is there any equivalent thread about rear spring options? Most people go Z71 springs for stiffness and the lift. But I'm not looking for lift so I'd be happy with some stiffer OEM springs in the rear just like in the front.
l008com
Cruiser

by KingBird » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:39 am

I used regular Tahoe springs in the rear and it stiffened up noticeably.

I think it only lifted the rear an inch or so.

I have a 3" lift front and rear yet the damn thing is leveled, so I may not have gotten any lift out back.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

Return to Lifts / Suspension