Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Best roll cage, tube frame/chassis for weight loss?

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by ARC- » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:58 am

I don't plan on racing it or offroading much. Just a urban prerunner look & 12" curb hopping ability that sounds&runs like pented up violence.
It might be easier to just get the body from a Juke and cut the drive shafts shorter?
I completely stripped and gutted a 1992 FORD SHO 5 SPEED. Problem was the more power I made,the more difficult it became to get traction.Sold So, it and now own this aluminum LH6 :happy whip: AWD, PROBLEM SOLVED, BUT it's too heavy. I am planning on weight reduction first,then power adder. And I am again grateful for the interesting and creative knowledge ya'll share.
97x 5.3 LH6 ŘWD
SPRING LIFT ONLY ON 33"
Z71 springs!
ARC-

Name: Tony
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD

by bartonmd » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:15 am

pfft...
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ErikSS » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:21 am

Sorry. Most of us on this forum have little appreciation for show queens. If show is what your after, why were you concerned with weight?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:50 am

ARC- wrote:I don't plan on racing it or offroading much. Just a urban prerunner look & 12" curb hopping ability that sounds&runs like pented up violence.

I was hoping this sentence was followed by "lol, jk"

We're a pretty accepting folk here due to our community of shared interests. What you're discussing is no longer part of the "shared interests" category. We'd love to see a finished product just due to mechanical curiosity. As far as us helping design, you're wanting break ground in a big way, and most of us share little interest in delving into a whole new fabrication design when it would benefit VERY VERY few.
And like ErikSS said, we don't much care about the "show queen" style trucks. We like our skid plates, trail pinstriping, and dusty dashboards. I wish you luck in your endeavors.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by v7guy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 am

where did a Juke come into play?

12" curb hopping? I could do that back when I had 32s, rolled/bounced over more ledges than I could count. Hell, Moots went 4 wheels in the air with 33s going over stuff that big.

92 Ford SHO, lack of traction with reduced weight? Given the lists of the fastest modified SHOs, I have a hard time believing this claim. I wanna see pics! There's plenty you can do to solve these problems if you're capable of building a whole chassis, maybe you gave up when you were younger and less experienced, I dunno.
http://www.shoforum.com/shoforumfaq.htm#Q. What is the fastest modified SHO?

Given that you want reduced weight, then a power adder, then a mall crawler that can jump 12" curbs, then a Juke body, and you're not going to do anything with it but go get groceries and chill... well, I have a hard time believing you have the determination, technical ability and/or experience to tackle such a project.

I'd like to see you do it, I want to see tube in your garage and welding to start in a week or two. I'd like to see madness really begin, but meh.

should probably delete the whole thread, or engage in brutal ridicule, or both. Maybe not, we are trying to be kinder and gentler these days.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 am

This whole thread stinks of this. ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410874862.442262.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410874862.442262.jpg (28.87 KiB) Viewed 12488 times
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo

by Moots1288 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:04 am

I want too 12" curb hop :(

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:18 pm

I think he was inspired by the old urban offroading in a rented trailblazer video.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by Wahugg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:43 pm

"Aggressive Urban Off-roading"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 pm

That's the one.

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by The Roadie » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Kindler and gentler my ass. I gotta get back here more often and rub some testosterone cream into you guys where it would do the most good. :flower:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton

by SmokeyMcBlazer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Everybody line up, Roadie's gonna rub you with cream whether you want it or not!
SmokeyMcBlazer
Off-Roader

Name: Rob
Vehicle Year: 2002

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:11 pm

HO-LEE-FUK.....

You must have plenty of money to burn if you want to build a tube truck from scratch to do nothing with it.

like jason said, start buying the DOM tube, or stop talking shit.... :viking:
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by AWCougar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 am

I have been looking into my own long travel kit as well. But mine would be used. If you find an amazing way to relocate the engine/oil pan/ differential let me know I have been working 8 months on trying to figure it out. (Pushing the engine backwards is the best bet) other than that have fun. And get to work :angry whip:
"Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays." -Sun Tzu

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5821
AWCougar

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2003

by TBYODA » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:57 pm

Why not get spare oil pan from junk yard and make rear sump pan.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo

by AWCougar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:37 pm

Weight displacement abd bump steer factors along with new mounts for control arms. There is a lot I wish it was that simple
"Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays." -Sun Tzu

AWCougar

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:16 pm

I have a question, do you have any idea what a C5 0r C6 Corvette Z06 with an aluminum tub weighs?

I'll give you a hint, its more than your target weight range.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by bartonmd » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:02 pm

AWCougar wrote:I have been looking into my own long travel kit as well. But mine would be used. If you find an amazing way to relocate the engine/oil pan/ differential let me know I have been working 8 months on trying to figure it out. (Pushing the engine backwards is the best bet) other than that have fun. And get to work :angry whip:

You are a TIG welder and half a sheet of aluminum away from a rear sump pan. Or, you can get a hold of the guy (Limequat) who had cast rear sump pans for this engine made. I don't think you've done too much research on it, because it was 3 of the first 5 hits when I googled "Trailblazer rear sump oil pan" and it's also the first several pictures if you google search pictures.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by AWCougar » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm also looking at weight ratio. I looked into the rear sump pan, but it wouldn't give me what I want. I want to center the weight more i have a diff in mind I want to use and it would need a bit more room. But that's all still drawing board.

AWCougar

by v7guy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:28 pm

AWCougar wrote:I'm also looking at weight ratio. I looked into the rear sump pan, but it wouldn't give me what I want. I want to center the weight more i have a diff in mind I want to use and it would need a bit more room. But that's all still drawing board.

You're really fighting a losing battle trying to center the weight more. Once you hack a hole in the firewall, move the hvac stuff, relocate the motor mounts, build a new gas tank (cause now the transfer case sits there) and relocate all the mounts for the rest of the drivetrain you've only netted yourself a small single percentage shift in weight. It makes sense in a tube buggy maybe, definitely in a race car, but it just needlessly complicates things for virtually no gain for "our" use. It makes even less sense when you figure that you're likely moving the front axle forward to help your approach and effectively moving the weight back because of it. With a rear sump pan you can fit an absolutely huge diff up front.

Take into consideration you only need about 2.5" from the bottom of the block to clear the main caps and the oil pickup tube and you'll realize it opens up a shit ton of room. My oil pan fits 12 qts, so it could have even more room if necessary.

build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

PreviousNext

Return to Fab Work