Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

M/T vs A/T and General Tire Discussion

Need new shoes? This is the place to discuss.

by Trail X » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Trail X wrote:BFG TA KM2 285/75r17
BFG TA KO2 34/10.5r17 (november release :? )
Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75r17
Nitto Trail Grappler 285/75r17
Toyo Open Country M/T 285/75r17
Interco Super Swamper 34/10.5r17

This is where I'm currently... slowly marking them off the list...

My goal is to have these on the truck for TECORE 11. I'm afraid that nearly removes the TA KO2s from the running though.

I've read some really good things lately about the Trail Grapplers. However, Mike Key, I seem to recall you have claimed a bad experience with them lately, right? What are the details?

Heck I'll take any experience based reviews on either the Trail Grapplers or the KM2s. I'm all ears.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:21 pm

I do recall Mike saying the Trail Grapplers were no fun on wet pavement for one of the TECOREs.
He is running a 315 (12.50). So you think a narrower tire like the 285 would have more ground pressure per square inch and less prone to wandering on wet pavement.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bartonmd » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:53 pm

I recant what I said earlier about getting Duratracs, or any Goodyear product. Got Duratracs in the same 245/70-17 size that I had in the BFG AT. Originally, one of them came in with a hole in the sidewall, before it was even mounted. They found it when they seated the beads. One of them was scalloped on only half of the circumference of the tread, where they'd obviously did a shitty shave job on an out of spec tire at the factory. They warrantied that one for me.

Every single one of the damned things on there right now is out of round with no load on them. They've been balanced 4 times, are out of balance about an ounce every time (and good when they leave the shop), and still have a vibration or two from 65-80mph. I got so facking pissed off at Goodyear call center lady, today. She said they can't do anything about the ride if the problem is above the speed limit. The speed limit here is 70mph in Indiana. I questioned why the tires are rated at 100mph if they're only warrantied up to the speed limit in the state where you live? I explained that this vehicle goes all over and the speed limit in Texas is 85mph. She said I should drive to Texas and have a shop look at them, then. Went back to the tire shop I bought them from (Tire Barn), who are quite obviously sick of seeing me. They did a real road-force balance on them, and they're better than they were, but still not right. Well, they were even fine at speed until they got warmed up, then out of balance on the interstate, again. I said I give up, and would like to return them on the 30-day ride guarantee. Turns out that the Duratrac in LT sizes isn't covered by the Goodyear ride warranty, and they'd only exchange tires for me if I went to the stock size and load rating in like an All Terrain Adventure or Silent Armor or something. So at this point, I'm stuck. Hopefully they get better as they wear in more, though (they've got like 600 miles on them right now), because the flat spot was like 1/4" deep when they were new and it's only like 1/8" deep right now. We will see.

I'm pretty certain that the out of round issue is compounded by the low pressures (40psi) for a tire that's considered in spec if it passes at 80psi. I think what's happening is that the out of round part flexes out and becomes round at 70mph+, and it's out of balance, because the balancer only goes up to 60mph, which isn't fast enough to flex out the low/flat spot. I'm //// done with the whole issue right now, but I may see at some point if 80psi is enough to flex out the flat spot and get a good high speed balance, then go back to 40psi (the book says 42psi for this tire with this amount of load) to run them. I thought about it on the way home, or I'd have brought it up when I was there. As for Tire Barn, we've exchanged some words about our difference of opinion on some things, but they have worked with me, and I know I'm a pain in the ass when I know I'm right. They're OK in my book.

So the moral of the story is, no more Goodyears for me. I should have taken the hint from the Jeep owners out there who had problems with their MTRs.

As for these, I'll probably run them (if I can handle it) until I finish wearing out the ones on my 3/4 ton (that are 1/3 down the tread with 10,000 miles on them, albeit most of those miles are towing or hauling), then maybe score some factory 17" wheels and throw these on there, where I can't feel shit because of the 9200# GVWR. Or, I may sell them. Who knows... I'll then get a set of the new BFG KO2 that'll be coming out this winter for the TB.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Good to know Mike, thanks for the follow up and sorry that your tires didn't pan out the way you had hoped.
Trail X
Founder

by bartonmd » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:43 pm

Trail X wrote:Good to know Mike, thanks for the follow up and sorry that your tires didn't pan out the way you had hoped.

yeah, especially since I took off and sold a set of BFG AT that had 2/3 tread...

Mike
bartonmd

by v7guy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:28 pm

what a mess, sorry to hear Mike, that's got to be exasperating.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by bartonmd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:57 am

Yep... Just ordered the balancing beads...
bartonmd

by Eredin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:16 am

So far, I've been happy with my Grabber AT2s, but they still don't have a ton of miles on them.

The new KO2s look really good, I'd be hard pressed not to try them out after seeing amazing results with the BFG AT TAs on my buddy's half ton truck. I really like the looks of the sidewall bite.

Another friend just went to the KM2s, coming off a set of KM1s, that finally dry rot tore in the side wall a few months ago when we were trailing. He got 60k miles out of them before they gave up, on a YJ, C Load rated. The KM2s have performed just as well as the 1s did for what we've been through on our trails. The only thing we don't like about them is there is no rim protector on them, unlike the KM1 had.
1988 Pontiac GTA WS6 - LSX Swap

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Build Thread
Eredin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb

by mikekey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:36 pm

I've heard of folks on the Ram forums who tow having problems with the Durtrac's as well.

I have several problems with the Nitto's, they wear fast, turn brown, HYDROPLANE and they are a "Me Too" tire popularized by Jeep owners. Did I mention their tendency to hydroplane? Everyone says they love them. But what I have found is most guys have the Terra Grapplers and the discussion/reviews get mixed up between Trail & Terra. A lot of mall cruisers are rollin on the Terra Grapplers. It's an aggressive looking AT.

The hydroplaning is the most worrisome aspect of the Terra Grapplers, enough digging past the "ME TOO" comments and you will see others reporting this. I was limited to driving 55mph and under on the highway home from TECORE because those tires where slipping so bad wanting to throw the rear end out. I know you run without the sways, which I had off as well.

But it wasn't just there. It seems that anything over 50mph and they start to slip on pavement. Experienced this around town with them, experienced it again on our trip up thru Kentucky and the Smokies.

These are however M/T tires and thus, can't be expected to perform like an AT. They are quite, not a lot of road noise, and ride "truck like" for the most part. Offroad has been great each time. Have done ok in the sand a few times here too.

Jeep owners seem to love Nitto's. But... I suspect that in the Jeep community a lot of folks believe they're more hardcore than reality. Personal observation.

I'm going back to General Grabbers AT/II on the Ram. Although the Toyo Open Country AT is looking appealing.

I have heard good things about Baja tires but you'll pay more.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Vehicle Year: 2003

by Trail X » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:49 pm

So, the trail grapplers tend to lose traction in the rear when at speed, both through hydroplaning and simply giving it too much gas? I don't understand the comment about it losing traction over 50mph, doesn't make sense. They get squirmy at over 50mph?
Trail X
Founder

by Moots1288 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:54 pm

I have not had a problem with my mtrs, although I have heard of people having problems with balancing. Been running these for over a year and a half just about and they're doing fine.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by mikekey » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:08 pm

Prone to hydroplaning in the rain at speeds over 55mph.

I don't have "too" much problem with them from my house to the job/grocery/movies in the rain. Every time I've feared for my life has been in the rain on the highway or any road where the posted limit is over 50MPH. I don't know why, but they just start to feel like the whole truck will spin out.

Also, because they are so grippy, be prepared to have your truck pulled in different directions.

I have however wondered if it's a combo of tire/sway delete/ride height on this vehicle.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by Trail X » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Yeah, I think M/Ts just don't shed water that great at highway speeds. Mine will break away some, but I've never felt unsafe under 70mph in the rain, even hard rain. So that's a point of caution that I don't like.

I'm really confused now when you said they are so grippy (contradicting what you said before it seems)... what do you mean pulled in different directions?

Matt, they just don't make MTRs with the size specs that I'm looking for.
Trail X
Founder

by Moots1288 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Trail X wrote:Yeah, I think M/Ts just don't shed water that great at highway speeds. Mine will break away some, but I've never felt unsafe under 70mph in the rain, even hard rain. So that's a point of caution that I don't like.

I'm really confused now when you said they are so grippy (contradicting what you said before it seems)... what do you mean pulled in different directions?

Matt, they just don't make MTRs with the size specs that I'm looking for.

No? 285/75/17?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Moots1288
Veteran

by Trail X » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:04 pm

Not that I can see on the goodyear website.
Trail X
Founder

by Cable810 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:06 pm

2 of my Grabber At2 cord shifted slightly... thats in 2 years and under 10K miles. Have a shake in the steering wheel @57mph and up. Took it to the shop had them check balance and what not Mech said that he could see the tire shift a bit when on the balancer.( hard to describe what it actually did)
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002

by mikekey » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:12 am

My grippy comment.

Ever drive over a construction area where the road was grooved or uneven and felt your steering wheel being pulled in the direction of the road?

On dry conditions, these will follow the road. Not a heavy problem. But they will follow the road.
mikekey
Lifer

by Moots1288 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:52 am

mikekey wrote:My grippy comment.

Ever drive over a construction area where the road was grooved or uneven and felt your steering wheel being pulled in the direction of the road?

On dry conditions, these will follow the road. Not a heavy problem. But they will follow the road.

That's every road in nyc.
Moots1288
Veteran

by bartonmd » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:03 pm

bartonmd wrote:I recant what I said earlier about getting Duratracs, or any Goodyear product. Got Duratracs in the same 245/70-17 size that I had in the BFG AT. Originally, one of them came in with a hole in the sidewall, before it was even mounted. They found it when they seated the beads. One of them was scalloped on only half of the circumference of the tread, where they'd obviously did a shitty shave job on an out of spec tire at the factory. They warrantied that one for me.

Every single one of the damned things on there right now is out of round with no load on them. They've been balanced 4 times, are out of balance about an ounce every time (and good when they leave the shop), and still have a vibration or two from 65-80mph. I got so facking pissed off at Goodyear call center lady, today. She said they can't do anything about the ride if the problem is above the speed limit. The speed limit here is 70mph in Indiana. I questioned why the tires are rated at 100mph if they're only warrantied up to the speed limit in the state where you live? I explained that this vehicle goes all over and the speed limit in Texas is 85mph. She said I should drive to Texas and have a shop look at them, then. Went back to the tire shop I bought them from (Tire Barn), who are quite obviously sick of seeing me. They did a real road-force balance on them, and they're better than they were, but still not right. Well, they were even fine at speed until they got warmed up, then out of balance on the interstate, again. I said I give up, and would like to return them on the 30-day ride guarantee. Turns out that the Duratrac in LT sizes isn't covered by the Goodyear ride warranty, and they'd only exchange tires for me if I went to the stock size and load rating in like an All Terrain Adventure or Silent Armor or something. So at this point, I'm stuck. Hopefully they get better as they wear in more, though (they've got like 600 miles on them right now), because the flat spot was like 1/4" deep when they were new and it's only like 1/8" deep right now. We will see.

I'm pretty certain that the out of round issue is compounded by the low pressures (40psi) for a tire that's considered in spec if it passes at 80psi. I think what's happening is that the out of round part flexes out and becomes round at 70mph+, and it's out of balance, because the balancer only goes up to 60mph, which isn't fast enough to flex out the low/flat spot. I'm //// done with the whole issue right now, but I may see at some point if 80psi is enough to flex out the flat spot and get a good high speed balance, then go back to 40psi (the book says 42psi for this tire with this amount of load) to run them. I thought about it on the way home, or I'd have brought it up when I was there. As for Tire Barn, we've exchanged some words about our difference of opinion on some things, but they have worked with me, and I know I'm a pain in the ass when I know I'm right. They're OK in my book.

So the moral of the story is, no more Goodyears for me. I should have taken the hint from the Jeep owners out there who had problems with their MTRs.

As for these, I'll probably run them (if I can handle it) until I finish wearing out the ones on my 3/4 ton (that are 1/3 down the tread with 10,000 miles on them, albeit most of those miles are towing or hauling), then maybe score some factory 17" wheels and throw these on there, where I can't feel shit because of the 9200# GVWR. Or, I may sell them. Who knows... I'll then get a set of the new BFG KO2 that'll be coming out this winter for the TB.

Mike

OK, I'll buy from Goodyear again... I sent a message to their FB page about the lady telling me to drive to Texas if I wanted them balanced faster than 70mph, and they messaged back and asked for my phone number. From my name and number, they found the case file and called the Tire Barn folks. The goodyear guy said it sounds like they're rotating on the wheel, with always being about an ounce out after 50-75 miles when going back on the balancer, and the way they were fine for like 10 miles of interstate after the road force, then the vibration started up again. He gave Tire Barn the OK to send them back and get their money back on them and put a new set of BFG AT back on there for me, in the same size and load rating. I'm kind of taken back by it! Maybe the lady I talked to wasn't great (bottom end call center folks at huge companies rarely REALLY know the product technical aspects. Actually, this lady didn't even know what I meant by them being an ounce out of balance.), but up the chain and probably in general, they seem like good folks.

Mike
bartonmd

by TBYODA » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Cool deal Mike
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

PreviousNext

Return to Wheels / Tires