Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear level lift noise clank

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by SurfBum » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:58 pm

I've got a 2.5" front level lift installed with a 1" rear coil spacer and seem to be sitting dead nuts even. Problem is I'm getting a lot of on and off road noise clank and when I towed the small uhaul from NV to CO one of my springs started to wiggle loose.

Are any of you still running Z71 springs only without a rear spring spacer? I've found a ton available so if you guys aren't getting any of that clank with the Z71's or you have any ideas to eliminate it I would be greatly appreciative!
SurfBum
Cruiser

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:11 pm

You got it only when towing?

Honestly I wouldn't blame the lift, have you checked your sway bar links? Also try tightening up your rear shocks.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by SurfBum » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:12 pm

Rear shocks and sway bars links were replaced with all new when I did the rear lift. I installed the rear lift about a week before I towed the uhaul and it has been constant since then. Not sure if anybody has has the same issue with rear blocks or if the Z71's will do the same.
SurfBum
Cruiser

by TBYODA » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:04 am

What shocks did you go with? Did you use some washers to take up the space if the rubber bushing are smaller?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Trail X » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:43 am

When does the clanking noise occur? Can you describe it better? A lot of things clank.
Trail X
Founder

by ErikSS » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:39 am

A picture of the lower shock mount could help. Also maybe a picture of the 1" spacer.
Why did you replace the sway bar links when doing the lift?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik

by SurfBum » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:48 pm

Noise only occurs when going over a bump and a fair amount of compression and decompression of the rear spring occurs. I replaced the sway bar links because one of the bolts was so rusted out the bolt snapped in half and I always replace things in pairs if at all possible. I will add a picture of the mount in a little bit. It's just a basic top mounted coil spacer. I went with he skyjacker 8030's with washers to take up the space. I must say those shocks are a smooth ride and handle well in the dirt.
SurfBum
Cruiser

by navigator » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 pm

do you have enough washers to fill the space?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Moots1288 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:31 pm

It doesn't sound much like a spring clanking, especially when it's compressed. That would be more of a shock, end link clunk. I can see if your shock was being extended.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots

by SurfBum » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 pm

I guess I should clarify better....The noise does not happen on the compression of the spring only on the decompression, almost like its coming out of the seat after it lifts back up. I notice it a lot when I hit large potholes or divots in the dirt on the way to my hunting playground. Also to answer the washer question yes I do have enough washers installed.

I have seen a few pictures posted up of the skyjacker rear coils and guys throwing a bracket across the bottom of the coil and the coil seat with a bolt and nut through the two. Is the reasoning behind that the same as why I thinking I am getting mine noise? Like the coil almost comes unseated after the rear axle drops and pulls weight off the springs?
SurfBum
Cruiser

by Moots1288 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:59 pm

The reason for that is when you flex the rear the spring can come unseated, but it will take max flex and if you have longer shocks. A pot hole or speed bump when not allow the rear to flex that much unless you're hitting that bumper and catching area at 65 MPH. :drive:
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:04 am

could be your spacer rattling when the weight is lightest, which would explain why it's only being heard on decompression. Pull your lift spacers out and put some silicone/caulking/podding on the top to silence the vibration.

I remember Roadie teaching me that trick when he helped me install my lift all those years ago.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004

by navigator » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:22 am

I'm running a 3/4" rear spacer with Z71 springs and the N8030 Skyjackers.
When I started my axle swap I found out that If I disconnect my swaybar and leave my shocks connected I can set the frame on jack stands and let the axle down far enough that my springs would get loose enough that they might fall out.

You might try doing a few tests with your jack to see if you springs get loose. Try jacking up one as far as you can, that should reduce the weight on the other side, you might also try setting the frame on jackstands and then lowering the axle as far as it will go. Keep an eye on your eBrake cable and brake lines when doing tests like this as they could server as limiting straps :-).

If I were a betting man, I would still say something with the shocks aren't tight, possibly the top bolt?
I needed something like 14 washers per shock to fill in the gap.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by SurfBum » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:40 am

The washer theory and loose shocks was my first instinct as well. I have tightened them up and double checked the washers about a dozen times hoping that would solve the problem. I'm thinking I may just go with the Z71's anyways and hope they solve the problem but mainly for the ride on the z71's as well
SurfBum
Cruiser

by Trail X » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 pm

If your springs don't get loose when fully dropped out (when you lift by the frame all the weight off the rear axle), then you shouldn't get spring noise, but there's always the possibility of them sliding around on their perches trying to reach a lower energy state. Do you see any sliding wear around the spring perches?
Trail X
Founder

by SurfBum » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:40 pm

So I just ran down to the hangar at work (airline job) and one of my A&P mechanics had a few minutes free. My springs is a larger diameter then the coil spacer is and it's wiggling around the coil spacer. Those are definitely coming out.

So next question regarding Z71's...any modification needed to any part at all or are they a complete direct fit? The guys at work will thrown them in for a case of beer so I'm definitely ok with that as long as no mods are needed
SurfBum
Cruiser

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm

its a direct replacement. no mods necessary.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004

by TBYODA » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:49 pm

SurfBum wrote:My springs is a larger diameter then the coil spacer is and it's wiggling around the coil spacer.

What brand of spacer did you use, a eBay special? This could be good information for others so they stay away from them maybe it could be posted in the stickily. Also are you using stock springs?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo

by Trail X » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Yeah, if the diameters are off, just replacing the spring may not elliminate your noise. There's a common spring perch diameter. Sounds like you need to fill the gap between the spring and the spacer.
Trail X
Founder

by SurfBum » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:18 pm

Trail X wrote:Yeah, if the diameters are off, just replacing the spring may not elliminate your noise. There's a common spring perch diameter. Sounds like you need to fill the gap between the spring and the spacer.

I am also going to eliminate the spacers as well. I only have a 1'' spacer in the rear so if the Z71's will give me 1.5'' of lift in the rear with no spacer then I can deal with the rear being a 1/2 inch higher then the front.

The spacers are actually SuspensionMaxx spacers. I bought the Envoy used so I am not 100% sure that the springs are stock. I bought it from a dude in Atlanta and when I purchased it the 4x4 had never been used and it had 22'' chrome rims on low pro tires on it....needless to say it only took me a week to find rims and tires and yank those ugly bastards off!
SurfBum
Cruiser

Return to Lifts / Suspension