Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Drastic changes

Dumping ground for offroad Trailblazer or Envoy general discussion.

by Shdwdrgn » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:19 pm

I assume most folks heard about the flooding we had in Colorado last year. I'm just downstream from Lyons, which was practically wiped out. Anyway I knew there had been a lot of damage to the mountain roads and I had stayed away, but after getting new tires yesterday I thought I'd take a short jog up a small canyon to see how the new gears were handling. This is (was) a fully paved two-lane highway with nothing more than a small stream by the road that you can take off your shoes and walk across. I had no idea that canyon had been so heavily affected!

I didn't get very far up the road before I started seeing problems -- a section of road that was no longer paved and didn't quite line up with the painted lines on the highway. Then I hit some more sections that were only single-lane. And then I started seeing areas where half the highway was just gone... not laying in the ravine, the pavement was gone. I couldn't even get all the way to the top, the road was blocked off about half way up.

Coming back down I was on the stream-side of the road and got a better look at the damage. Areas where the little ditch was now 50 feet wide. Places that reminded me to keep my eyes on the road because all of the sudden there was no road there, just gaping holes where the blacktop had broken off. This is nearly a full year after the floods happened, and there is still that much damage. I can only image one of the main highways up to Estes Park, which just re-opened this Summer.

But hey, I got my truck muddy... :safari:
GT5/G80, 265/70-16, PCMforLess + personal tuning, quad headlights
Self-made steel front bumper / pushbar / skid / CAI / lightbar
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

Name: Jeff Taylor
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ErikSS » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Pics?!?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Shdwdrgn » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:13 pm

If I'd had a camera with me...

But maybe if I get ambitious over the weekend, I'll go back up. The canyon is only 15 minutes from my house. God I love Colorado :)
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by Trail X » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:16 pm

:need pics:

Didn't you bring a cell phone? No excuses nowadays.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Shdwdrgn » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:34 pm

So my awesome writing skills aren't doing it for you?
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by Moots1288 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:48 pm

Nope

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:14 pm

I agree nope, we're twisting your arm to go wheeling again. :lol:
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo

by Shdwdrgn » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Well it wasn't exactly wheeling, but there were several places where I could have driven right off the road and down into the creek bed. Considering all the damage to the area already, I think they would frown upon that, though...

I did dig up a shot that appears to be one of the areas I drove across. They have a bunch of reflector posts directing traffic to the inside of the lane, and the whole edge is completely overgrown with weeds that are three feet above the blacktop, so if you're not watching (I wasn't) this can really catch you by surprise!

That shot was taken last year when the floods were happening. As I mentioned, this is a little creek that you can easily walk across.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by Shdwdrgn » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:25 pm

So you're driving along on this nice highway, and you see something like this, where the pavement is gone and this section just turns to dirt...

OK, not too bad, just have to slow down a little. Then there's areas like this -- again not too bad, except that a year ago it was a pretty nice highway.

And then you have these hidden gems. Barely any sign of a problem, except that half your lane is covered in weeds, and as you drive by you can see there's simply no road there any more.

Other areas are a bit more obvious. You see the edges crumbling away, and suddenly the entire lane is gone...

Same with this area. The culverts show how far the lane and embankment used to extend out.

We seem to be missing some dirt here...

This is right in front of those trees. The water is only 8-10 feet wide. The whole thing is less than 18" deep.

It's not deep, but it moves fast because of the slope. As long as you test your footing for slick rocks, you can walk right across.

Of course there are some areas where you shouldn't even try to cross...

There are a lot of areas where the damage was more impressive, but there's simply no place to pull off the road so I could take pics. In a few spots, if there is an oncoming car you have to get over right to the edge, and all you can see is the drop-off where the pavements has already fallen away and it doesn't look like anything is holding up the edge you are diving on. Then you get back to a section where the highway is completely untouched, you get back up to 55, come around a corner and suddenly slam on the brakes because there's no road again. All of the speed limit signs have either washed away or been covered over. There simply is no 'safe' speed to be posted.

This isn't really an "off-road" area, but it was a really nice drive. The truck is handling great on the hills with the new gears, and coming back down again, when I downshift it actually coasts at suitable speeds rather than "too fast" or "too slow". There is still a surprising amount of traffic in this area, and the damn bicyclists are making it more dangerous when they insist on riding in the center of the lane and forcing people around them in repaired areas. But this is a beautiful time of year -- the leaves are about to start turning, the air is crisp without being cold, and we've had rain this week so the ground isn't bone-dry. I took my 15-year-old dog with me (dalmation/terrier mix). She's just too old to jump in and out of the truck any longer, but she still enjoys running around down by the water. She looks like she's worn out from today's trip though :)
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by ErikSS » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Nice Pics! Thanks! The power of mother nature can be creepy.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik

by Trail X » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:01 am

Pretty impressive. If you think about it, it shouldn't be surprising, those same creeks formed the landscape over thousands of years making it possible to even put the road there.

I'm amazed that the roads are still in such disrepair.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Shdwdrgn » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:58 am

James, nobody has been available to do much more than that. Even here in town, I know of at least one bridge that got washed out and repairs haven't even begun, and that was a pretty well-used street. There was such extensive damage to roads up and down the range that it will probably be years before the crews get caught up. Really, it's amazing that pretty much all of the roads are passable now.

At this point, I think everyone is still holding their breath to find out what happens this year. The floods last year happened around mid-September, and that was after a 2-year drought. Our typical rainfall is about 17 inches, and last year we got 18 inches in a couple of weeks. This year we've been having an unusually high amount of rainfall already this Summer, so if we have another huge storm in the next month it could easily take out a lot of the new repairs. They've been dumping down gravel beds around the river banks to try and help, but there's only so much that can be done.
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by v7guy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:38 am

Really enjoyed the pics and the writing, thanks for taking the time.
Given the crawl I see most any type of road repair or replacement happen I'm really not terribly surprised it's still like that.
Concerning the bridge, I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least a couple years before it's completed after it starts. Got any pics of the washed away bridge?
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Shdwdrgn » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:56 pm

I don't, but here's an article from our newspaper...

http://www.timescall.com/news/colorado-flood/ci_25367370/longmonts-sunset-street-bridge-reconstruction-could-start-late

To give you an idea of how high the water is in these pics, there is a pedestrian walkway that goes under the bride. The sidewalk was normally about 12-18" above the water line. Normally you could barely even see the rive when you drove over this bridge.

In the second picture, there is a park to the upper-right. That's where my wife and I got married. There is a small pond in the park that we stood by for our vows, then the clubhouse is up on a hill and looks over the river. My understanding is that the water was right up to the doors of the clubhouse, so I can only imagine the rest of the park was wiped out.

[EDIT] Sorry had my directions wrong, guess its been a few years since I've been there... The park is to the upper-left in the second photo and the clubhouse looks over another leg of the pond. Google has a good satellite photo of the bridge damage, and the clubhouse is the blue roof to the North-East of the bridge. Not exactly sure when this was taken, but you can still see all the areas that got washed away if you follow the river.
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.161247,-105.120717&spn=0.003645,0.006539&sll=40.161247,-105.120959&sspn=0.003645,0.006539&fb=1&gl=us&t=h&fll=40.161247,-105.120961&fspn=0.001822,0.00327&radius=0.21&z=18
Shdwdrgn
Contributing Author

by AA1PR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:40 pm

thats insane its similar to our tropical storm irene 2 years ago

my videos of it are on youtube under my username if anyone is interested

sadly a lot of our classIV trails were destroyed when it happened