Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Cutting bumper to add winch

Any special projects involving a decent amount of fab work (bumpers, sliders, roof racks, etc)

by JoeyT » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm

A few years back I got a standard 3" body lift bumper off MDB. It had the 2" receiver, 5" and 2" fog lights and shackle mounts. I ended up getting a Smittybilt XRC 9.5k winch and a receiver mount for it. I cut the mount alittle shorter to bring it closer to the bumper. Took it on one trip like that and I didn't like how far it stuck out. So after doing some research I decided to buy a universal mounting plate and cut my bumper. On the 4th of July I went down to work and spend the day there by myself. The bumper looked perfect as it was already and I had a hard time cutting into it. After holding the cut off wheel for a few minutes I said screw it and dove in. After the first cut I said I crossed the line of no turning back so it went pretty easy from there. I had the cut a few inches off each side of the plate to get it to length. After I got it where I wanted I did a couple tack welds so I could set the winch on it to make sure it fit. I welded along the sides and under the plate to the bumper. I drilled through the existing holes in the plate to go through the bumper. I had to bolt the rollers on first and then the winch. Found that out the hard way. When it was in place it looked great. A lot better then I thought it would. Plus I still have access to the 2" receiver under it.

https://vimeo.com/102181474

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by JoeyT on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeyT
Cruiser

Name: Joey
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:13 pm

Looks Good! I really like it. I believe Barton built a prototype winch bumper a bit like this recently. Due to grill shape, I don't think it would work out for the late model LT or SS guys. (yes, SS guys. We are 2 strong now)
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by JoeyT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 am

Thanks. I get a lot of looks driving down the road. People can't believe what they see. I saw some of your videos on YouTube pretty crazy burnout on 35's. Never thought that would be possible.
I saw Barton's bumper and really liked it so I based mine off his. Took some time in finding the right plate and taking measurements. But of course when you go to do it things don't work out 100% as planned. If you look at the video you can see how close the winch comes to the crossbar under the grill. Thought I would have more room but I'm glad it fit. And it just so happens that the spot I cut in the grill for the quick disconnect lines up perfectly with the free spool lever. Couldn't do that twice if I wanted to.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by Trail X » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:03 am

Do you have any pictures of the structure behind the bumper that supports the winch plate?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by v7guy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:10 am

Any pics without the winch on?
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

by JoeyT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:37 pm

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of what it's mounted to. Barton bends a piece of sheet metal into a "C" and that bolts to the frame. The winch plate is welded to that. I'll try to find a pic of the backside of one of his bumpers.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by JoeyT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:39 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Pics of the bumper the day it came back from paint and mounted. July 12 2011
JoeyT
Cruiser

by bartonmd » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Looks good!

James, it's sitting on top of the top mount plate, which goes from frame rail to frame rail, and is 6.5" deep and .179" thick. What I do to my winch bumpers, which I suggest adding, is a 1" tall strip or 1" piece of tube across the back, for rigidity. Also, instead of just the cutouts at the sides of the winch, you might cut a couple pieces of steel like shown below, to close up the sides of the winch box.

And wow, that's the reason I use a texture gloss black powdercoat! Matte black or texture black hides a lot of the sanding marks and stuff, but gloss black just makes every little bump and undulation stick out. If you're going to paint something fabricated in a gloss black, you should probably skim-coat (you see them doing that to the fabricated frames/tanks/body panels on the "chopper" shows and stuff, as well as show cars and any body repair, before they paint them.) it with bondo before paint.... but that's neither there or there...

Mike

ETA: Better views of how it's built...

bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by JoeyT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks. I never thought about a strip behind it but I like the idea. Filling in the open sides in on my to do list. I saved the metal I cut off just for that reason. I just haven't gotten around to it. I also wanna add a brush guard like the one you posted. My to do list just keeps growing and growing I don't think it'll ever stop.

I took the bumper to a body shop to paint it. He didn't charge me since I send him customers. It was functional and looked good so I didn't complain about it not being perfect. It's been on there 3 years so far but the clear is starting to chip off. Eventually I'll redo it a textured black along with my rock sliders.
JoeyT
Cruiser

by bartonmd » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:23 pm

Cool. If you want the tubes, I'll sell you a set bent up and cut long so you can cut and notch them however it works for you. PM me when you're ready.

Mike
bartonmd

by JoeyT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm

Sweet. That's awesome. I'll def hit you up in the next few weeks. Thanks
JoeyT
Cruiser

by ErikSS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:02 pm

The area to the sides of the winch, did you cut a piece to fill that void? A lot of your strenth will come from tieing things together. I can see in the pictures, Barton did fill that in. I can't tell in yours, but it is something that I would suggest.
ErikSS
Lifer

by JoeyT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:31 pm

It was an after thought of mine when I got everything together and on the way home. I'm gonna try to do that this weekend. Now that you and Mike said something. :facepalm: I'll post some follow up pics when it's done and with the winch off
JoeyT
Cruiser

by AA1PR » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 am

nice work
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by JoeyT » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:26 pm

AA1PR wrote:nice work

Thanks
JoeyT
Cruiser

by JoeyT » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Before work I cut out the pieces to box in the winch area. We were slow at work so my boss said I could bring the truck in and do what I had to do until he needed me. Here's some updated photos after I got them welded in. I also ran a second larger bead along the winch plate just because you can never have to much weld. Go easy on the welds I'm not a professional.

Passenger side

Looking over to the driver side

Winch on with synthetic rope

How tight the winch is to the frame rail. There's actually a tiny bit more room then what shows in the pic
JoeyT
Cruiser

by Moots1288 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Looks good.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by bartonmd » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Cool!
bartonmd

by ErikSS » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:51 pm

Now were talking! I like it. I can't see, so I will ask. Is the winch plate welded to the cut part across the bottom? Like, right behind the bottom of the front winch bolts.
ErikSS
Lifer

by JoeyT » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Thanks guys! Yes it's welded under the front of it just not where the bolts or receiver is. If I welded behind the bolts then I wouldn't be able to tighter them down. And of course I can't get on top of the receiver. But now that I'm thinking of it I should run along the side of the receiver. Why do I think of things when I don't have a welder handy. Guess I'll have to do that Monday morning
JoeyT
Cruiser

Next

Return to Fab Work