Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

tbangert's Build - 2005 Trailblazer

Builds classified as Mall Rated have minimal modifications, or their owners have not posted trail reports to progress through the ranking system. If you are going to start a build thread, you must start it here. If it is not correct per your rank, please PM a moderator.

Moderator: navigator

by tbangert » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:51 pm

tbangert's Build - 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS

-------------------------------------------

Drivetrain Specs:
4.2L I-6
Selectable 4WD
3.42 Gears w/o G80
AWD Spool in Splined disco housing

Suspension Modifications:
MarkMC Suspension Lift
Bilstein HD's (front)
BDS 5500 Rear shocks
Tahoe Z71 Rear Springs
285/75-16 Treadwright Guard Dog MT's B2B
Wheeladapter 1.5" hub spacers

Exterior Modifications:
Zone 2" Body Lift

Engine Modifications:
K&N 77 Series Intake
Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Hayden Transmission Cooler

Interior Modifications:
None

Recovery Equipment:
Rear hitch mounted shackle
Misc. straps and ropes

Electrical Modifications:
None
Attachments
DSC_4106se.jpg
(199.23 KiB) Downloaded 883 times
Last edited by tbangert on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MarcMC - Bilstien - BDS - WheelAdapters - Treadwright - K&N - Gibson - Hayden - Zone
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by tbangert » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Now that the list is spelled out a brief summary of what and where I plan to go with this rig. Back when I bought the TB I was unsure if I wanted to dump it or lift it. Seemed pointless to lower a 4wd truck so up I went. I like photography and being able to get to those seldom visited locations, but some being a little more difficult than others so I wanted to prepare the truck for whatever I may encounter.
Now that I have the suspension and tires out of the way, I have been looking into getting a G80 but going a little further in getting it in an 8.6" rear end. Might as well go big if I am changing it out anyways. Recovery gear will consist of the typical straps and Highlift jack but also a winch. I don't like the idea of having it mounted permanently to the front so I'll be getting a cradle for whichever winch I decide on so it can be stored on non trip days.
I'm also in the planning stages for a steel front bumper with skids semi incorporated in the design.

Don't know why I waited so long to do these upgrades. Finally got around to Installing some BDS 5500 rear shocks with a set of Hoe springs in the rear. I started to notice that the rear was starting to sag a little even with the helper bags at 20 psi. The ride is just a hair stiffer than if I pumped the helper bags up to 25psi, rides nice though. Looking forward to trying them on the trails.

Just a comparison shot of stock springs vs. Tahoe springs
MarcMC - Bilstien - BDS - WheelAdapters - Treadwright - K&N - Gibson - Hayden - Zone
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

by tbangert » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:32 pm

A couple shots from a local trails we call Hill Rd.

My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

by tbangert » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:57 am

So the truck is finally paid off and I've got some cash to spend on it. Parts are piling up and the winter weather is starting to leave us. Since my driveline has some wear and tear that needs addressing, I figured as I fix, I upgrade!

First up, the splined disconnect. I've rebuilt this before and now the bearings are going bad and having issues connecting. So I'm going the awd spool route!

Next up, differentials! Rebuilding and regearing! Yes folks, I'm getting rid of these awful 3.42's and replacing them with 4.56's! (Front gears are in the mail) Rear end getting swapped to an 8.6" for a future locker as well. Just need to pick up an axle and I'm ready to start building the rear end. These gears should help driveability quite a bit especially with the 285's I'll be ordering as soon as taxes come back.

Also on order, a zone 2" body lift kit.

After these mods are complete, time to start with the armor!
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

by tbangert » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Awd spool has been installed and must say it was well worth it. No more worrying about it not engaging when in need of 4wd. The swap was very easy, removed all gears and the shift fork. Replaced the bearings, plopped the spool in and just bolted the actuator in place to fool the pcm.

Also installed a Zone 2" body lift, 3" kit to me just looks hideous and exposes waaaay too much frame. Reason I went with the 2" is to have rock sliders and bigger tires, the sliders should hide the additional visible frame now.

My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

by tbangert » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 pm

So I recently fell into some time to do a little fabricating, so I built a base for a radiator skid. I felt it was far too exposed for my liking. Made from 1/4" plate and will be incorporated into future frontal steel work.

Next up is my tire carrier! Plain, simple and tight hugging. Made from 2x2x1/4" (overkill but it was free). Side mounted the plate with an LED plate light.

My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

Return to Mall Rated Builds