Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: Green Swamp WMA - aka Bacon was right about FL

Trips/trails in the eastern part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Eastern Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by mikekey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:04 pm

We decided to take the rig out today and try to find something resembling offroading in FL. On two previous mini-road trips around the state we discovered a few spots we thought we should bring the Trailblazer too and explore what looked like ORV trails. Since we didn't feel like driving 3 hrs we made a journey to a closer spot, the Green Swamp Wildlife Management area. I've heard from one friend it's popular with ATV'ers and guys who like to go mudding, aka rednecks.

Most of the roads are either wide dirt service roads, or narrower trails with a lot of over growth and a lot of mud and flooding. We got turned around in several places because the trails where simply impassable from flooding. If it wasn't waist deep mud, then it was boring service road. However the mudding was fun, there where a few spots where we turned around because we didn't want to burry the truck door deep in mud like Bacon.

Since my odometer is off, I'm not sure how far we technically went, but I reset the trip meter and it claims we did about 9 miles.

It is a pretty big area, and we accounted two ATVer's and stumbled past a couple groups of good ol' boys getting their drink on a few who looked on as if they'd never seen a lifted Trailblazer. All in all, this was our first official offroad session in Florida, even for being pretty tame.

I did manage a few shots of the rig. Bugs in FL however are the size of rodents, with wings.

:flex dirty:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:10 pm

you came over to Green Swamp and didn't tell me?! That's in my jurisdiction. It's aight, I'm working this weekend anyways. I think Richloam is better than GS, but not by much. I look at it like this. Offroaders like us own the winter/fall of central FL. Summer/spring (rain seasons) is property of 5 tons and deuce 1/2. I try and avoid trails in FL during this time of year...

Do you take sr50 over or some other route?
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by RyansTBLS » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Glad to see you got a mini-trip in! Looks like it was fun! :safari:

Edit: Once again Bacon sneaks in.... :finger:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikekey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:17 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:you came over to Green Swamp and didn't tell me?! That's in my jurisdiction. It's aight, I'm working this weekend anyways. I think Richloam is better than GS, but not by much. I look at it like this. Offroaders like us own the winter/fall of central FL. Summer/spring (rain seasons) is property of 5 tons and deuce 1/2. I try and avoid trails in FL during this time of year...

Came up 4 and then up 35 to 471 until we found a trail that looked good to turn into. Then just set about exploring. Looking at Google earth, I think after we popped out of a few trails we ended up on Center Grade road before making it back to 471. Most of it was so much water and mud, I didn't want to push my luck alone. Plus, I didn't bring any gear today, it was a spur of the moment, lets go for a drive.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:24 pm

If you want a slight change in FL wheeling, we could go up to Ocala NF where trails are less mud and more sand... like this

Unfortunatley most of these trails that I've encountered are passable in 2wd... If you wanna plan something, even out of state, let me know. I have every other weekend off.

Oh and if you wanna do ONF, be warned... Trail pinstriping is mandatory (non-issue, i know) but also, i hope you or the Mrs. don't have a fear of spiders...
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by mikekey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 pm

We should do something, some times it's fun to just drive around. Environmentalist would hate me for my ability to waste gas. I've wanted to give Ocala a try, even if its tame. Something this month or early next month would be cool. We like pin stripping.
Last edited by mikekey on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikekey
Lifer

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Sounds like a plan! btw... LOVE your new signature
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:51 pm

mikekey wrote:
DirtyBacon04 wrote:you came over to Green Swamp and didn't tell me?! That's in my jurisdiction. It's aight, I'm working this weekend anyways. I think Richloam is better than GS, but not by much. I look at it like this. Offroaders like us own the winter/fall of central FL. Summer/spring (rain seasons) is property of 5 tons and deuce 1/2. I try and avoid trails in FL during this time of year...

Came up 4 and then up 35 to 471 until we found a trail that looked good to turn into. Then just set about exploring. Looking at Google earth, I think after we popped out of a few trails we ended up on Center Grade road before making it back to 471. Most of it was so much water and mud, I didn't want to push my luck alone. Plus, I didn't bring any gear today, it was a spur of the moment, lets go for a drive.

If you were at 471/Center Grade then that's Richloam WMA. GS is just barely north of the Polk county line into Sumter county. You must've found a trail that goes from GS to Richloam, well done.
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by mikekey » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Ha!, Thanks. Maybe we did. I'm not sure. There seems to be a lot back in there. Especially trails that looks like they where for bikes and ATVs. We did some deer, sadly no gators. Still mad I haven't seen wild gators in FL YET.
mikekey
Lifer

by djthumper » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:49 pm

We use to have to go south for the gators. We traveled north for trails but they weren't much better then the trails that we found closer. We went to Ocala NF and around Ichetucknee Springs area.
djthumper

Name: Larry
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Eastern U.S.