Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

survival weapons and mounting

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:34 pm

fishsticks wrote:
TexTrail wrote:I don't fully understand why but the kick is reduced significantly when shortened and lightened.

Shorter barrel means more of the energy of the powder is wasted out the muzzle of the gun, rather than accelerating the bullet.

I have a buddy who did a shortened 8mm Mauser.

I don't think I ever posted it in here, but I ultimately found/bought a 10/22 Takedown, which spends 100% of its time in the back of the truck now. The pack that comes with it holds 4 25 round mags in one exterior pouch and has two other good sized pouches where other things can be stored (med supplies, cordage, fire starting stuff, MORE ammo etc) as well as MOLLE straps on the front.

As a SURVIVAL option, (remember, small game is the key in survival mode) it's an excellent package.

I forgot to get back to you. But the case that the Rossi matched pair comes in does fit nicely in the rear tub. Sorry I'm a day late and a buck short.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:53 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:I forgot to get back to you. But the case that the Rossi matched pair comes in does fit nicely in the rear tub. Sorry I'm a day late and a buck short.

The Takedown will as well, but I keep tools in there now anyway. The black bag it comes in is inconspicuous enough that I feel comfortable leaving it in back exposed. (with the Sturm Ruger logo facing down)
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TexTrail » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:26 pm

For those of you with a glock or 1911 the mech tech upper might be good to keep in the truck. If you carry it in the truck and a pistol you have both pistol for SD and light caliber low recoil rifle for survival one type of mag one type of ammo.

http://mechtechsys.com/
TexTrail

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 2WD

by RyansTBLS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:18 pm

As far as mounts go, anyone use the QuickFist clamps screwed into the tailgate for mounting rifles and such? Seems to work ok, but haven't driven anywhere with it on. I will get pictures posted when I remember. :slap:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan

by midwest_98 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:12 pm

anyone have any pictures of holsters mounted in there TB other than the one on the steering column?
midwest_98
Cruiser

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2005

by mikekey » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Not yet, but I've got some ideas. I'm thinking of building a lockbox in the center console. Need an idea for AR mounting.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by midwest_98 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:39 pm

mikekey wrote:Not yet, but I've got some ideas. I'm thinking of building a lockbox in the center console. Need an idea for AR mounting.

i like your thinking!
midwest_98
Cruiser

Vehicle Year: 2005

by AWCougar » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 pm

any ideas on mounting a recurve bow??? :scratch:
this question has beem buggin me for the past week or so
"Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays." -Sun Tzu

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5821
AWCougar

Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by v7guy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:01 am

recurves are pretty good sized, maybe a mount off the coat hooks across the ceiling would work, I think behind the back seat may be too small.

how big is your bow?
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by AWCougar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:12 pm

62" of raw fury :viking:
but i was thinking of pulling the headliner down and making an aluminum plate as the trim and 1" wire mesh as the cetner and making mounts that lock into place... but unfortunately that takes time and i work 2 jobs plus navy reserves... i have no time :cry:
might draw it up and leave it for my friend to Fab up though :fro:
"Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays." -Sun Tzu

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5821
AWCougar

by Glasscaster » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:03 am

Damurphy wrote:I'm in SC. Here a LEO can just about carry anywhere in the vehicle. On use it has to be concealed. Must have Creds and cuffs.
My agency is pretty strict and we have adhere polices on and off. Non Leo's must carry in a console unloaded. Good luck out there and be safe

Not to be disrespectful but, non Leo's may carry LOADED in a console or glove box in SC. I have read the laws several times, there is no mention of the need to unload before carrying in a console. If an activity is not explicitly banned it is legal.

http://scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.phpSECTION 16-23-20.

Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;
Glasscaster
Cruiser

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by harvyne » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:06 am

Gordinho80 wrote:
JamesDowning wrote:Now, if you're talking post-apocalypse survival, the game changes drastically.

What ever happened to Zombie Killer???????

perhaps the walking dead caught up with him
harvyne

Name: christian

by harvyne » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 am

i have been tossing around thoughts of mounting options and my favorite is securing my rem 870 exp magnum to the dashboard and a holster attached to the side center console under dash for my sidearm with maybe a couple behind seat or rear cargo mounts for the ak, m4, and sks. then that becomes a bit extreme bieng it still my daily driver till next may.
harvyne

by harvyne » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:50 am

speaking in terms of transporting firearms. any suggestions on best way to handle your precious collection when moving across several states for a permant move like from NH.-LA.. i will be uhauling it with my voy on a trailer in tow.
harvyne

by navigator » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:42 am

harvyne wrote:speaking in terms of transporting firearms. any suggestions on best way to handle your precious collection when moving across several states for a permant move like from NH.-LA.. i will be uhauling it with my voy on a trailer in tow.

I've never carried weapons across state lines but I think if it was me, I would plan my route and call each state on that route to find out their laws.

I think in most states as long as the ammo and weapon are stored separately they are ok but some you have to lock the ammo up separately from the weapon.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Bacnbit » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:33 pm

harvyne wrote:speaking in terms of transporting firearms. any suggestions on best way to handle your precious collection when moving across several states for a permant move like from NH.-LA.. i will be uhauling it with my voy on a trailer in tow.

I relocated twice from MI to CA both times I cased the weapons (unloaded of course). Boxed ammo seperate per caliber, locked guns back in safe and each box of ammo was locked and placed at the front of the moving truck and buried by my other household stuff. Was pulled over in CO on the second trip after giving up licence and the such I told the officer there are weapons stored in the rear. He didnt even ask to see, off I went. Coulda been the screaming kid and mad looking wife that helped. LOL Well with a speeding ticket. But I would say If you are extremely cautious contact each state your traveling through just to make sure.
Bacnbit

Name: Dean

by harvyne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:39 am

Bacnbit wrote:

I relocated twice from MI to CA both times I cased the weapons (unloaded of course). Boxed ammo seperate per caliber, locked guns back in safe and each box of ammo was locked and placed at the front of the moving truck and buried by my other household stuff. Was pulled over in CO on the second trip after giving up licence and the such I told the officer there are weapons stored in the rear. He didnt even ask to see, off I went. Coulda been the screaming kid and mad looking wife that helped. LOL Well with a speeding ticket. But I would say If you are extremely cautious contact each state your traveling through just to make sure.

Both you and Navigator keyed on how i would like to transport them. My other option was to ship them via ffl dealers but im not really comfortable with shiping several firearms plus i still havae all the ammo so i remember now reading that you need to call each state you will be traveling through and let them know the date and possibly the type of firearms you are transporting. I will give that a shot and see if it leads to any problems.
Thanks for the input
harvyne

by Bacnbit » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:08 am

harvyne wrote:
Bacnbit wrote:

Both you and Navigator keyed on how i would like to transport them. My other option was to ship them via ffl dealers but im not really comfortable with shiping several firearms plus i still havae all the ammo so i remember now reading that you need to call each state you will be traveling through and let them know the date and possibly the type of firearms you are transporting. I will give that a shot and see if it leads to any problems.
Thanks for the input

I myself would never ship my firearms, Just seems like to many variables for them to get
f-ed up. I would pay any fine if there was one over letting some ahole mess with one of my familys firearms. I may consider it if I had a Train load of AK's or AR's But I am sure at some point a red flag may go up if I owned said amount of weapons.

Take a minute and read if you want. This is a link to the NRA site discussing transport http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles ... ation.aspx
Bacnbit

Name: Dean

by navigator » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:02 am

Bacnbit wrote:....I would pay any fine ......

I think in a lot of cases (in gun grabbing states) with weapons charges you don't pay a fine, you pull time and as a felon can't own guns anymore.

nice link BTW.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by harvyne » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:21 pm

Absolutely. Transporting through said states with firearms that do not meet thier laws( high capacity mags,short barrels, colapsable stocks. Etc,) can and will lead to imprisonment,fines and felony status. The problem for me is i have to pass through states like MA, MD, RI, NY, CT, DC,PA. To name a few before i get to the more friendly southern states. Im bettin that a couple like MA. and CT. will probably forbid my passing through period without me meeting the set carry standards for said states.
harvyne

PreviousNext

Return to Camping / Survival