Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Gordinho80's Offroad / Camping Trailer Build

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by NC_IslandRunner » Thu May 09, 2013 8:54 am

Looking good!
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Darkrider_LS » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 pm

Cool project!

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk 2
Darkrider_LS
Cruiser

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Gordinho80 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 am

I saw Kyle's update and figured its probably time I post an update of my own.

We went up to Bar Harbor, Maine couple of weeks ago and the trailer made it's second trip. I didn't have much time to get lots of the details done, and I had to sort of rush some things. But the trailer worked out pretty well for this trip.

Here it is partially loaded and attached to the Suburban that we rented to haul the 6 us up in 1 car.

Night before we left, I realized that I had forgotten to mount the spare. I didn't want it inside the trailer, nor did I really want to mount it on the cap or roof of the Suburban. so I came up with this.

There is a small plate under the wheel. Grade 8 1/2" threaded rod, locking washers/nuts underneath to keep from backing out while driving down the highway. The wheel in that place gave me 10" of clearance with the trailer attached to the 'burban. The Suburban is LOW... My truck next to it was much taller. So I had to flip my receiver just so that the trailer wasn't too slanted.

Had picked up this bottle opener on our last trip to Watkins Glen, NY. Mounted it to the side of one of the boxes. It came in handy!

Tongue box is not the neatest setup and will most definitely get an overhaul, but it was functional. 24 gal water tank, Camp Chef Triton water heater, FloJet pump (hard to see, bottom left under the heater), deep cycle marine battery, and 1500w power inverter. Again, not clean by any means. Wired the trailer for 7 pin plug to charge the battery while towing. The battery was actually bad and only lasted 1 day. Luckily, we were near a Walmart where I picked up a new one that lasted most of the rest of the trip, only needed to be charged once.

One of the side boxes. I used this one for the stove and all other "kitchen" pieces.

Here is the side table/sink before I finished it. I painted it and covered it in spar urethane to waterproof it. These pics also show the sink without the drain. Used a stainless steel serving tray and a small bathroom sink drain. Hooked up a length of drainage hose and ran it away from our feet at the camp site. Table folds in half and stows inside the trailer very nicely. Set up, it slides into a piece of 2x4 steel tube that is bolted to the bottom of the side box. You can see the tube and the locking bolt in the first couple of pics in this post. You also see how the heater folds up and is ready for use.

And to finish it off... I wanted to keep track of all the places where the trailer goes, so I pick up a sticker from each place.

Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Cable810 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:55 am

That's awesome!!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks. I'm not too happy with the amount of wood that is currently into the trailer... so I'm probably going to redo the boxes and the walls in steel.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by jonbo2002 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:51 am

Amazing work man!
jonbo2002
Addict

Name: Jon

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Nice. Looks like it is working out well.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by NC_IslandRunner » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Nice work!
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by drburke » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:03 am

Watkins Glen.. you ever stop and watch the race there? IMO it's one of the best tracks on the circuit.
drburke
Off-Roader

Name: Burke

by dvanbramer88 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 am

That trailer is hooked up man. Nice job.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by Gordinho80 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:44 am

drburke wrote:Watkins Glen.. you ever stop and watch the race there? IMO it's one of the best tracks on the circuit.

We heard the races every morning but we never went to see them. If we make our way back up there, we'll definitely check them out.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by v7guy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 am

Concerning the side door, why not move the locks to the corners and then add some cables to make it stop at 90?
Then you could make a slide out on the door to make a compact, light and easy surface for the stove and cooking surface.

It would be compact and fairly robust and suit the need.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by Gordinho80 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am

Not quite picturing what you're saying....

I see what you're saying. That is possible. I didn't tinker too much with the door since I'm still not sure I want to keep the wood boxes. I might get a bunch of steel and replace all the wood. I'm undecided yet. This trailer might not be used many more times, by myself at least. I've been looking at expanding... LOL
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by mikekey » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 am

Any plans for a roof top tent? I'm starting to really consider a trailer for our future needs with little ones on the way.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Gordinho80 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:09 am

Nothing planned yet, but one is possible.

Our camping trips to date have not really needed a trailer of this build. I have the AT tires on there, but they have not been needed to date. The ground clearance also has not been required. I would have been better off keeping it lower with smaller wheels/tires. Our trips have not been out in the middle of nowhere, though. We've been to campsites, and there were 6 of us. We even joked that we should combine funds and look into an RV or Camper.

Wife is still not crazy about spending more than a night or so truly out in the wilderness. She likes to have running water and a flushing toilet. I've been wanting to go to Assateague for a while now, but she's not fond of the chemical toilets.

I might even consider selling this trailer and starting from scratch on a new build... maybe more teardrop or build from an enclosed trailer.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by nayrlladnar » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:41 pm

Just read this entire thread; it is so inspiring. I have a question though: why is the tongue so long? I don't have a ton of experience with trailers, so if it is some fundamental reason, I apologize. It's just the first thing that I noticed and thought it was a little odd. Regardless, it's an awesome trailer.
nayrlladnar

Name: Ryan
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Gordinho80 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks! Trailer was designed and built to be used with my Trailblazer. I had a swing out tire carrier on the back of my truck, and I wanted to be able to swing it open completely with the trailer attached. I also wanted some extra room on the tongue to possibly mount a bike rack or something in front of the aluminum box there.

I'm actually considering selling the trailer... Its a great trailer for off-road camping/expedition type trips. However, the wife is more of a designated campsite camper, and there will be few times, if any, in the near future, where we will be out in the middle of nowhere. We usually go with a small group of people, so I'm looking into a camper instead.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by AA1PR » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:23 pm

I didnt read all 9 pages word for word, but I like the trailer build so far & I've seen this somewhere before
2004 GMC Yukon, 4X4 SLT, 5.3L Vortec,
1966 Stevens M416 trailer too
"Now she is gone I got my Yukon" ExpeditionNorth.com
AA1PR
Off-Roader

Name: Mike

Previous

Return to Camping / Survival