Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

COMPLETED: TURKEY BAY OHV CLEAN-UP DAY 2013

Trips/trails in the central part of the U.S. (loosely follows the Central Time Zone)
Forum rules
Please label new threads with the following to indicate the type of thread:

COMPLETED: a completed trip
IN PROGRESS: a trip currently in progress
PLANNING: researching or recruiting

Please feel free to utilize the trail rating article.

by boog2006 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:53 am

FOREVER FORGIVEN OFF-ROAD
Turkey Bay OHV Clean-up Day 2013
April 13, 2013

Hopefully this was a good enough reason to miss TECORE. :wallbash:

The trip began with a group breakfast at Chick-fil-a in Paducah, KY and the convoy left for the 52 mile trip to Turkey Bay OHV Area in LBL. :safari: We arrived about 9:00 and unloaded the trailered XJUGGY and RUBIJON rigs.

This was the XJUGGY’s maiden voyage after a 5:30 in the morning startup. :mechanic: At 9:30 we pulled together at the gate house for a safety meeting and distribution of duties for the day. Forever Forgiven decided to take on the task of painting the boundary trees since we had the largest number of people and they wanted at least ten. We painted from the main shack all the way to Section F in the camping area. Then returned to the gate house and headed North around the boundary road. We painted until noon, walked what felt like a thousand miles carrying a gallon paint pail and a four inch brush in poorly chosen shoes for a hike. :facepalm: Then broke for lunch and hit the trail.

We headed out to ‘Rocky Top’ an open place where we would be able to try out different obstacles and test the limits of our vehicles. :flex dirty: For me and the two other newbies on the trip, the trek to get there was plenty of excitement. Here’s some of the Vehicles on the trip. :drool3:

Up the hill we went...

I had already deleted my rear swaybar before the trip and disconnected the passenger front but couldn’t get the driver front disconnected. I wussed out on taking a sawzall to it before the trip but it will happen now! Flexibility was definitely a requirement! My first tug was the result of just enough flex, no lockers, and a little slick muddy rut.

During this hill climb, we lost one jeeps clutch and had to make the decent back to camp to regroup and make a plan to get him home. Decided that he would fit on the trailer with RUBIJON on the way home, we attended a raffle for the volunteers at 3:00. I won a free three day pass back to Turkey Bay! One jeep headed back to the house, and the rest of us hit the trail again to test out the XJUGGY.

Everything worked on the XJUGGY as we all hoped minus a failed starter early in the day.

I needed a little better approach angle for this ditch...some of those logs ended up in the ditch and I crossed over fine. Once we passed through this ditch, I had the opportunity to test out the winch.

No pictures, we got too excited. I started a hill climb and the Duratracs just caked up with mud a little too easy, I wasn’t able to get enough wheel spin to keep them clean and continued to slide off the hill. I made one last attempt to get up the hill and dug deep enough to be able to put the truck in neutral and not slide back down. The XJUGGY decided to try to give me a tug up the hill but couldn’t get enough run to make a difference. At the top of the hill was a hard right along the ridge. My spotters decided the winch was the best option. They had me hold the truck on the hill while they retrieved the winch from the back of the TB and rigged it up. I was a little nervous as I hadn’t tried out the ‘farm welding’ 2” receiver my father helped me with on the bumper. We loaded up the winch and I assisted with minimal wheel spin. IT WORKED! No deflection in my winch setup. It pulled probably a good six feet with wheel assist then while breaking over the hill I felt the front suspension load up. My spotters were excellent at guiding this newb through the extraction process. Once I broke over the hill, they were watching for unload and preparing me to let off the gas. As soon as it happened, I relieved tension on the winch and was able to maneuver on up the ridge. We didn’t make it to the GAUNTLET to test the XJUGGY due to my two delays, but the group had a good time working together and I had a GREAT TIME!

Everyone commented on the trailblazer’s abilities in a good way. It really impressed me as well and I was able to do some things I never dreamed possible with my current setup.

I’ve got some trail cam footage that I’ll post this week showing more of the terrain.

So, what’s needed for a better run next time?
IMMEDIATE – following wife approval :thumleft:
- MDB front bumper for better approach angle
- Radiator skid for protection
NEXT YEAR
- Re-gear to 4:10 with lockers front and rear
- 2” Body Lift
- 35’s

I thought I had the BUG before...
Last edited by boog2006 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Wahugg » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 am

boog2006 wrote:....

I had already deleted my rear swaybar before the trip and disconnected the passenger front but couldn’t get the driver front disconnected. I wussed out on taking a sawzall to it before the trip but it will happen now! Flexibility was definitely a requirement! My first tug was the result of just enough flex, no lockers, and a little slick muddy rut.

Great write up!

However taking a sawzall to the front sway bar with one side disconnected won't do you any good. By having just that one link taken off, the left and right wheels are free of each other, and you can obtain maximum flex.

The sway bar it's self provides no limitation to flex. It's when the wheels are connected to it that it limits flex, and since by disconnecting the one link, you broke the ability for one wheel to effect the other. The sway bar is only along for the ride.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by boog2006 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 am

Wahugg wrote:Great write up!

However taking a sawzall to the front sway bar with one side disconnected won't do you any good. By having just that one link taken off, the left and right wheels are free of each other, and you can obtain maximum flex.

The sway bar it's self provides no limitation to flex. It's when the wheels are connected to it that it limits flex, and since by disconnecting the one link, you broke the ability for one wheel to effect the other. The sway bar is only along for the ride.

-Wahugg

Thanks! My sawzall solution will be to move forward to quick disconnects.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

by wink » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:50 am

Looks like it was a good trip, nice write up. :safari:
wink ;>
my build
wink
Off-Roader

Name: Kevin

by Cable810 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:19 am

Looks like an awsome time!!
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 am

I really need to GI down there.

Sounds like a great event you helped with. Well done.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by boog2006 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I really need to GI down there.

Sounds like a great event you helped with. Well done.

Thanks. Hopefully the volunteer hours we put on the books will keep it open for a long time.

I'm interested in hosting an event down there. I'll start a planning thread and we can see how it develops.
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

by boog2006 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:12 pm

Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

by Trail X » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Nice video! Must be a bit intimidating following a buggy!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by onelow1ton » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:46 am

Nice LBL is a great place , I hope to make it back out there some time to stay longer than a weekend (I went last November )
2011 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 5.3 v8 SASed, 37x12.5x16.5 wrangler MT/R,recentered h1 beadlocks, Doug thorley headers, mbrp exhaust , ARE topper , rtt, x20 10k winch
expo build http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... rado-build
onelow1ton
Off-Roader

Name: Kenny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by boog2006 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 am

onelow1ton wrote:Nice LBL is a great place , I hope to make it back out there some time to stay longer than a weekend (I went last November )

Make a plan to go with us...Trailblazer Bay
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Return to Central U.S.