Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Regulator's Build - 2002 GMC Envoy SLT

These builds are capable of traveling some of the most difficult trails known to the GMT360 platform (4.5+ per our trail rating guide). This section includes our SAS builds.

Moderator: navigator

by Regulator1175 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:50 pm

2002 GMC Envoy SLT

This thread has been a long time coming. It has always seemed like such a daunting task and the more I do to the truck the more difficult this thread seems to become. I am sure I won't get everything, but I will try my best.

This truck has some interesting origins and build history. As some may know, I originally started on Trailvoy in 2008 and It took all of 5 minutes for the mod bug to hit me. My first few changes were the basics, resonator delete, roof rack removal, and tint. I attended my first meet in 2009 in Indianapolis and quickly fell in love with BigEd's truck and decided the lowered route was the way to go. It wasn't until a year later that Hardtrailz forced me into the lifted scene and I haven't looked back since!

Where it stands today: 5/2016

Drivetrain Specs:
4.2L I6 - GT5 (4.10) - Selectable 4x4

Suspension Modifications:
35"x12.5x17 - Fierce Attitude tires on aftermarket wheels

Front
RadFlo coilovers
Flipped Upper Control Arms
Removed Front Sway Bar
HD Tie Rod Inner & Outers

Rear
Skyjacker Softride Coil Springs - C25R
Skyjacker n8030 shocks
Removed Rear Sway Bar

Exterior Modifications:
MarkMC 3 inch Body Lift
Massive adjustable rear control arms and panhard bracket
Cut fender Wells
Cut Front Fenders
MDB Fab Custom Front Bumper
Roof Rack with custom mount
PIAA Lights on Front Roof Mounted Bar
Generic Farm Lights on Rear Mounted Bar
TrailGear Rock Sliders Custom Fit
MDB Fab Oil Pan Skid plate
MDB Fab Radiator Skid plate
Body Line Down Plastic Dipped (Will be Bedlined in the Spring)
Custom Rear Tire Carrier W CB Antenna Mounted and Quick Release Mount for Safety Flag
De-Bagged
De-Moulded
Paint Matched Headlights
Aftermarket wheels
Billet Grill
SS upgraded calipers with ceramic pads

Engine Modifications:
Gutted Air Box
Custom PCM Tune
Resonator Delete

Interior Modifications:
2,000 Watt Converter Mounted
600 Watt Converter Mounted
Custom Rear Shelf
Home Made Laptop Mount
Pioneer dvd/gps/tv/cd In Dash
Cobra 29 LX Camo LCD CB Radio w/ external speaker
Husky Liner Floor Mats
LED Lights

Recovery Equipment:
XRC8 Winch
2-3"x30" Straps
Tree Saver
D Rings
Tool Boxes
Hi-Lift
Full Size Ax & Shovel
First Aid Kit

Electrical Modifications:
Quad Beam Headlights
Quad Tail Lights

Drivetrain Modifications:
Upgraded to 14 bolt rear axle with 4.10 gears
AWD sleeve in the splined disconnect
Replaced Aluminum Drive Shaft with Steel Shaft
Fully rebuilt and upgraded transmission
Last edited by Regulator1175 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Regulator1175 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm

In the beginning (closest I could find):

Sadly it is following an accident, but you get the idea. The positive is that accident started me on Trailvoy full time and also provided some extra cash to begin modifications.

My first round of modifications are shown here. I have removed the roof rack, side moldings, badging, and added the billet grill.

After attending the Indianapolis meet in 2009 and then Carlisle All Truck Nationals later that year I decided it was time to lower it.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

by Regulator1175 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Then came the suspension lift. This was forced on me by Hardtrailz. While we were assisting another member to lift his truck, Kyle asked me for my keys. I didn't think twice about it and tossed them to him and kept working. Two hours later he shows back up with my truck lifted telling me to give it a shot and see how I like it. I have never looked back.

Quickly following the suspension lift came the Avalanche Rims with used 31" tires and Liftmeister 1.3" wheel spacers. I also added the roof rack back on and had the spare tire carrier fabricated. I also pieced together a 3" body lift. Big thanks to MarkMc for giving me a list of hardware to pick up, as well as providing a steering extension. Also thanks to Hardtrailz for providing a set of rear bumper brackets that he had laying around.

The next step was the bumper. Hardtrailz had just had his bumper built and I decided to buy the MDB Fab #1 bumper. I also added both skid plates and roof rack and tires around this time.

- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

by Regulator1175 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:00 pm

The next step to the evolution was the Trail Gear rock sliders. I purchased the longer set and had six inches taken out of the centers. I also decided to flip them backwards, it just fit better with the flow of the truck and provided better protection.

Next it was time to pass on the #1 bumper to another member in need and get my truck into MDB Fab for a custom bumper.

I added 155watt KC Lights to the bumper when I returned home, running the wiring through the tubing to keep a clean look. I have since replaced the lights, same model just new to replace the old rusty ones.

- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

by Regulator1175 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:20 pm

I custom fabricated a bracket to hold the ax and shovel on the roof basket.

There are no pictures, but I have since replaced the stock cross bars for 1" aluminum tube. The front basket mount bolts through the rails in the open void. The rear bracket mounts through the rails and directly into one of the body mount holes for the rack. The front and rear light bars are mounted in the same fashion.

I decided that something needed to be done to hide the scratches and body damage to the truck. Not wanting to jump right to bedliner, I opted to try Plasti-dip first. I taped off and sprayed from the upper body line down also adding a pin strip on the top. I also sprayed the hood on the sides of the raised portion and continued the two lines down through the grill.

- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

by Regulator1175 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:32 pm

Here are some of my favorite wheeling pictures from the past couple years.

- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

by Regulator1175 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:58 pm

First post updated.

Big mod coming soon.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Return to Extreme Offroad Builds