Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Non freezing water?

Discussion on how to enjoy the outdoors.

by Wahugg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:29 pm

Well seeing that winter is coming up, I went around and put together a winter survival pack. I though I did a pretty good job until I realized that the 2 gallons of water that I normally have in the rear will freeze and be useless, and it will crack the container so when it does warm up the water will leak out.

It may be a simple oversight on my part but what have you guys done to overcome this?

Also suggest throwing anything else in the a winter pack?
Basically it is a summer survival pack with a -20 goose down feather sleeping bag, a pot to melt snow in, a few jars of lighter fluid, a couple of tp rolls to use with the lighter fluid, and a wind resistant lighter.

Thanks!
-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Excellent question I have not looked into much, living where I do.

Pouches seems to be the right packaging material

http://www.safetykitstore.com/water-5yw-2.html

You might try Seal-a-meal pouches with some air room for expansion.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Just pour a little out of the water so it has room to expand as it freezes and you can thaw it near the fire you start.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by madmanvillain » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:37 pm

Winter camping we always brought one of the 5 gallon insulated water containers. With a 3 hr drive in the back of a pickup, a -27 degree night and a -16 degree night, the only part that ever had any frozen water was the very top if you opened the lid, and the spigot, but a little bit of warmth from your hand thawed that out enough. Most people only think of coolers to be used to keep things cold, but they keep things from freezing too. I've actually seen caterers use them to keep food hot, just have to keep it from being in direct contact with the plastic.
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Name: mmv
DriveTrain: 4WD

by navigator » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:45 pm

I freeze water in 2L bottles all the time to use to throw in the cooler. I just don't fill them up all the way and squeeze the side a little to allow for the expansion.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Wahugg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:16 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Just pour a little out of the water so it has room to expand as it freezes and you can thaw it near the fire you start.

^ I have done that before but one out of two times the container would still crack and a 50/50 chance isn't to comforting to me, but thanks for the suggestion! :cheers:

navigator wrote:I freeze water in 2L bottles all the time to use to throw in the cooler. I just don't fill them up all the way and squeeze the side a little to allow for the expansion.

^ I haven't tried squeezing in the sides before, that may be the trick to solve this problem! I will give it a try :thumleft:

The Roadie wrote:Excellent question I have not looked into much, living where I do.
Pouches seems to be the right packaging material
http://www.safetykitstore.com/water-5yw-2.html
You might try Seal-a-meal pouches with some air room for expansion.

^ Roadie thanks for that suggestion, but if my friends caught me driving around with water packs like that I would never get hear the end of it. One thing I love about that site is how the water had a service life of 5 years. Gave me a good kick! :lol:

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

by TangoBravo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:44 pm

I fill gatarade bottles up most of the way and just let them freeze,this way if I ever need them I can just defrost one using my engine heat or the fire. I have never had a problem with that type bottle cracking and it has a good wide mouth so if i need to refill it that makes it much easier.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 am

Store the bottles upside down and leave room for expansion. Water freezes from the top down because ice floats so the top (actually the bottom of an upside down bottle) will freeze first. So you can flip the bottle over and still readily uses the unfrozen portion. (Old backpacker trick)
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by TangoBravo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:53 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:Store the bottles upside down and leave room for expansion. Water freezes from the top down because ice floats so the top (actually the bottom of an upside down bottle) will freeze first. So you can flip the bottle over and still readily uses the unfrozen portion. (Old backpacker trick)

Yeah I have done that and it works great, although if given a long enough time the whole thing will freeze, the bottles in my truck are froze solid but thats because they just sit with no movement overnight. Some old tricks also include mixing salt as salt water has a lower freezing point. Now there us a VERY fine line between ok and toxic and thats why I do not recommed this method, another old trick is to mix the water with a good alcohol but this presents a problem if ypu manage to get unstuck or whatever because you could now be intoxicated. This is juat why I preffer to just let it freeze and defrost what I need.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert

by NC_IslandRunner » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:54 am

Wahugg wrote:Well seeing that winter is coming up, I went around and put together a winter survival pack. I though I did a pretty good job until I realized that the 2 gallons of water that I normally have in the rear will freeze and be useless, and it will crack the container so when it does warm up the water will leak out.

It may be a simple oversight on my part but what have you guys done to overcome this?

Basically it is a summer survival pack with a -20 goose down feather sleeping bag, a pot to melt snow in, a few jars of lighter fluid, a couple of tp rolls to use with the lighter fluid, and a wind resistant lighter.

Thanks!
-Wahugg

Vodka looks like water, Doesn't freeze easy and has a warming effect when you drink it, as does white tequila! Works for the Russians and who Is better at being cold than them?
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by Wahugg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:43 am

NC_IslandRunner wrote:
Wahugg wrote:Well seeing that winter is coming up, I went around and put together a winter survival pack. I though I did a pretty good job until I realized that the 2 gallons of water that I normally have in the rear will freeze and be useless, and it will crack the container so when it does warm up the water will leak out.

Thanks!
-Wahugg

Vodka looks like water, Doesn't freeze easy and has a warming effect when you drink it, as does white tequila! Works for the Russians and who Is better at being cold than them?

As much as vodka and other alcoholic drinks don't freeze until a really low temperature, I find it might be hard to convince a store to sell me some. Or convince the officer that it is only for "emergency's" if I get pulled over.

Now that we have finally had freezing weather, I am happy to report that squeezing the bottle slightly prevents the expansion cracking.

Thanks All
-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

by v7guy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Lots of good stuff here, I just mix in a bit of anti freeze gives it a nice sweet taste! :mrgreen:
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by NC_IslandRunner » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Wahugg wrote:As much as vodka and other alcoholic drinks don't freeze until a really low temperature, I find it might be hard to convince a store to sell me some. Or convince the officer that it is only for "emergency's" if I get pulled over.

Now that we have finally had freezing weather, I am happy to report that squeezing the bottle slightly prevents the expansion cracking.

Thanks All
-Wahugg

Sorry, you didn't put your age in your profile so I just assumed you were at least 21.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory

by Wahugg » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:18 am

NC_IslandRunner wrote:
Wahugg wrote:As much as vodka and other alcoholic drinks don't freeze until a really low temperature, I find it might be hard to convince a store to sell me some. Or convince the officer that it is only for "emergency's" if I get pulled over.

Thanks All
-Wahugg

Sorry, you didn't put your age in your profile so I just assumed you were at least 21.

Sorry about that. I don't like to offer my age that often because the age category I fall into is not seen in the best light. I have found on other forums that they do tend to discriminate in their posts towards me because of that fact.

But still thanks for the suggestion on the vodka. I will have to keep that in mind for the future.

Thanks again all
-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

by RyansTBLS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but, I have found the the Endurolytes Fizz at REI in a water bottle doesn't even ice up at 26 degrees Fahrenheit. I found that out when I left my water bottle for work in the truck all night. :slap:
The problem with the Trailblazer is, people think you know what you're doing.
RyansTBLS
Addict

Name: Ryan

Return to Camping / Survival